SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

The cake hubby wants for his 60th b'day party...I have questions!

sooz
14 years ago

Hubby will be 60 next month, so it's time to celebrate! The snacks will be jalapeno poppers dip, tortilla chips, and popcorn.

Along with chili and all the fixins', we'll have tamale casserole and cornbread and a big tossed green salad.

Hubs wants a yellow sheet cake with blueberry frosting. Hmmmm, I've never made blueberry frosting before.

Here's what I'm thinking.... I'll make some puree with blueberries, just like the recipe in The Cake Bible. I'll use that puree in the "Cloud Cream" recipe, also in the same book. The Cloud Cream uses 2.5 tsp gelatin dissolved in a bit of warmed puree, then added to the rest of the puree, which is then folded into a couple of cups of cream that's been whipped--or something like that--I'll re-read the directions. I'll taste it and adjust by adding superfine baker's sugar if needed.

It's been really hot and is likely to continue to be hot so I want to make sure to stabilize the frosting.

Should I add a packet, or two packets, of Whip It--in addition to the gelatin?

I know the gelatin in it will make it more firm, but I made this recipe before using raspberries, and because blueberries are much different, I was wondering if it needs to be even more stiff? I've never pureed blueberries before, but I doubt it's exactly like raspberries, which just seem juicier!

Of course, I could make a batch and try it out and if it's awful, hey, we can eat the mistake--except for this darn spare tire we both seem to have! lolam

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!