SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirdfrt

Defragment Question

thirdfrt
14 years ago

The last two times that I have defraged my computer it stopped at 61 Percent the first time and this time it stopped defragging at 64 Percent. What is going on I have never seen this happen before? Is there anyway to fix this problem?

My OS is Microsoft XPSp3. This computer is also a clone.

Thank You so much for your help.

thirdfrt!!!

Comments (29)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Sometimes defragmentation does not complete or gets interfered with if you have certain other programs working in the background. My screensaver used to cause my defrag program to get stuck or start over whenever it popped up. Other things like Task Scheduler or your antivirus program can do the same. You might try starting up in Safe Mode to minimize unnecessary programs running at the same time as the defrag program.

• justme4now
    14 years ago

There are also 'critical' files/folders that will not be touched when you defrag .. which can make up a good percentage of what you are seeing as non defragmented.

• Related Discussions

Googlemail, Facebook questions/concerns

Q

Comments (4)
    You really need to think about getting a new computer, Windows 98se is no longer supported by microsoft, that in self makes it a security risk and venerable to infections. I can only hope no credit card transactions ect are being done with this machine..
    ...See More

Hard drive too full to defragment - ran anyway

Q

Comments (11)
    I should have mentioned that before trying to defrag I did empty my recycle bin, ran Ccleaner, and ran Error check. I did not reboot after doing these however. My computer guy put TreeSize on my computer which I just opened and can see that 31,000 MB is my iTunes Library. I have very little music there but lots of voice memos, downloaded radio programs, podcasts etc. Most of the files in iTunes are Wave Audio Files which I remember being told are large files. I was told by a tech guy at the Apple store to change my files from Wave Files to AAC files and they would take less space on my iPod. I came home and tried to do that but it didn't work and I haven't taken the time to figure out why. I assume if I can change these files to AAC files (or some other type of compressed format?) they won't take up as much space on my hard drive. I love my iPod and being able to tape radio and listen to it while gardening or walking. I know my library will always be large so I need to figure out how to make the files smaller or get a larger hard drive. Thanks again for your help!! Ginny
    ...See More

Defrag question

Q

Comments (3)
    you definitely want to keep that. that is a partition it is for restoring/reinstalling your system, same as those restore cd's . It's not needed to run windows. but make sure you don't delete it though as you can't get it back. you do know that vista has by default settings defrag run in the background on a regular basis? the vista defrag is quite different from the xp defrag. This may be helpful, How to Defrag Windows Vista
    ...See More

Error message

Q

Comments (14)
    Daisey just removing programs will not make your computer run faster unless the hard drive is over filled. To see how much free space is on your hard drive click Start then click My computer. A window will appear and you will see your hard drive listed with the total size and the amount of free space. For the computer to run efficiently you need 25% or more free space. This allows you 'swap file' to operate at it's peak. A few questions. What anti virus are you using? What anti spyware programs are you using and do you keep them up to date and run them every couple of weeks? What firewall are you using? What operating system are you using? How much memory does the computer have? To check how much memory click Start, click Control Panel, click System and right near the bottom of the new window you will see how much RAM is installed. To start improving things you could download and install Ccleaner which is linked below. Run without changing any settings. This will remove all the bits and pieces left behind over time and give you more hard drive space. Then you should do a defrag. To defrag the computer click Start, click All programs, slide up and click Accessories, slide over and down to click System Tools then click Disk defragmenter. Once there click to start the defrag, you can walk away for perhaps an hour now whie it does a clean up and tidies all the files. Here is a link that might be useful: Ccleaner - slim version with no Yahoo toolbar
    ...See More
  • mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I'd be curious how much free space you have.
    If not enough free space on hard drive that can be a problem with defrag... but usually windows will complain and tell you about it.

Defrag will also fail if a drity volume - hopefully running chkdsk before a defrag will fix it.

I might try booting to a command prompt in safe mode and running...
    chkdsk c:/r

it will ask your to push Y for yes, restart computer and then it will run check disk ..

defrag c: /v
    at the command prompt in safe mode should make for a good defrag too.

Of course my favorite... auslogics.com free defrag program. Is simple and Faster !

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mikie,

I have over half of free space left on my computer. Would you mind giving me specific instuctions on how to reboot in Safe Mode and then what to do with check disk and defrag. I will need line by line instructions. I haven't used Safe Mode on this computer since I have owned it, there was never a reason to do so until now. Thanks for your help. My OS is Win XPSP3 I have the Home Edition of windows.

I will check out the website you gave me on the other defrag program. Is there anything that I need to know about that? I am cautious about using something else when I know nothing about it. "Smiles" First I would just like to try it the normal way by using Safe Mode and then if that doesn't seem to work I will consider the other option and will contact you for more information about that program.

thirdfrt!!!

• justme4now
    14 years ago

Good Tute here for XP safe mode.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows XP

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

I have been recommending to users both with and without defrag concerns to try the free Defraggler. No one has gotten backed to me with a complaint.

DA

• grandms
    14 years ago

I have been using the free Auslogics defrag program for well over a year, and I really do like it. It is fast and thorough and gives you a report when it has finished.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your imput. I do have a question about the Auslogics defrag program and the Defraggler program.

When anyone of these programs are used to defrag what happens to your regular or current defrag program? Do these other programs disable the original one? When installing should I choose Run or Save?

I really appreciate everyones help here. Thanks a bunch.

thirdfrt!!!

• TxKen
    14 years ago

thirdfrt,
    When you use a program, it's very much like using a filing cabinet. You go in and take the program out of one file...use it..and then it gets put back. The other program...in another file...simply does not get used. It is not affected at all.

When installing, I save the download to a folder I've created for the purpose, and then run the downloaded file from there. For example, on the C drive, I've created a folder called 01temp, which I use for that purpose.

Hope this helps...
    txKen :)

• grandms
    14 years ago

I download and install new programs similarly to txKen. I made a folder on the C drive that I call Program Downloads and save the download to there. Then I open that folder and double click on the download to install. Same thing, just using different names. Others save the downloads to My Documents----your choice. Programs already installed are not affected in any way by new programs you add.

• shaddy101
    14 years ago

Question here, always want to know, as I am leery of everything computer wise, when I get to safe mode, and want to do this Auslogics program, where do I click, and what do I click, just to be sure I know what I am doing? I know there are many out there that have no fear of this machine, I do, and it keeps me on my toes because I am fearful. Sorry, the nature of the beast I guess.
    I need a step by step process, and know that Zep led me thru the Malware process, and I felt so empowered after that, decided it wasn't so bad after all!
    Can someone also give me some empowerment for the defragging?

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Gosh Ken I always loved your explanations. They are neat and clear. A reader never gets lost.

The only little thing I wish to add to Ken's report is that some applications, normally not utilities, will ask if the user wishes the target application to be the default for the task it provides. At that time the user will set or reject that preference.

Totally agree with Grandms and Ken regarding the Download folder creation. The only issue a user may face is if the user is trying to download an application upgrade file and the prior version download file is still in the folder with the same name. The "Save" process will be interrupted by an alert that the file already exists and asks if the user wishes the file to be replaced. A simple "yes" or a file name change will resolve that concern easily.

DA

• grandms
    14 years ago

Shaddy, I do not use Auslogics in Safe Mode. First I run Check Disk, which requires you to shut down before it will run, then when that is finished, and it sometimes takes quite a while, I run Auslogics defrag program. No need for Safe Mode for either of these unless you are having a problem with your computer. For normal, routine maintenance, Safe Mode is not necessary. It is very useful when you are having problems and want to have the bare essentials running on your computer.

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

Some of the in use STUFF on your hard drive can't be moved on the hard drive by defragging ... but safe mode unties that STUFF from the hard drive and will make for a quite nice defrag.

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mikie you posted this to me.

Some of the in use STUFF on your hard drive can't be moved on the hard drive by defragging ... but safe mode unties that STUFF from the hard drive and will make for a quite nice defrag.

Ok, I understand what you are saying if you are talking about the normal defrag but, are you referring to the normal defrag that comes with the computer (using Safe Mode) or are you talking about the "auslogics.com free defrag program" using Safe Mode?

If you are talking about the "auslogics defrag program then how would you do that? You gave me instructions on the normal/current defrag using Safe Mode but not using the "auslogics defrag. Do you use Safe Mode when you run the "auslogics defrag program? If so how do you do it?

grandms said she doesn't use Safe Mode when she uses the "auslogics defrag program.

I thought I was on the right track, then those two comments were said and someone pulled the lever and I jumped the track again. "LOL" Please explain! "Smiles"

Hope this helps...
    txKen :)

I totally understood what you said about the files and I do keep a separate file for those type of things, but I didn't know until you told me, that when using a program out of the special file created that "The other program...in another file...simply does not get used. It is not affected at all." You'd be proud of me I actually stayed on track with that one. "Smiles"

Kudzu9,justme4now,damccoy,grandms,mikie & txken,

Thank you all for your imput on this subject. I went ahead and saved the defrag programs to a file in my documents, I have some files that I have placed on a flash drive and now can safely remove from my computer. I want to get rid of those older files and then do the check disk and defrag again. I have a lot of house cleaning to do as they say and I want to be very careful that I have it all in the flash drive before I delete the stuff.

thirdfrt!!!

• urlee
    14 years ago

I download and install new programs similarly to txKen. I made a folder on the C drive that I call Program Downloads and save the download to there. Then I open that folder and double click on the download to install. Same thing, just using different names. Others save the downloads to My Documents----

I keep my Zipped files & DL's in folders like "My Briefcase" & "Zipped" on my Desktop. (smiles)

{{gwi:1509364}}

• owbist
    14 years ago

Thrdfrt what each poster above has noted is good advice but as you have seen they all use different methods. Unlike any other home user item a computer offers so many ways to accomplish a task. None need be wrong, it is simply a personal preference.

For myself I cannot imagine bothering to go into safe mode just to defrag. Others need to feel they have done better, no problem. For Vista users the computer does a defrag every second Sunday at 2 a.m. I believe (can be changed if the user feels the need) so the need to run that task has been eliminated.

• urlee
    14 years ago

I just peeked in my Windows XP "The Missing Manual" where it says before you run the Disk Defragmenter, exit all programs, disable your antivirus software, and empty the Recycle Bin.
    For best results, leave your PC alone while the defragmenting process is going on.
    It also says don't bother defragmenting your drive unless you've actually noticed it slowing down.

• grandms
    14 years ago

One thing I have noticed about Windows PCs is that there are usually at least three ways of accomplishing the same goal, which I think is great. The user can use the method that he/she is most comfortable with.

(Heh, heh, former English teacher ends a sentence with a preposition. LOL!)

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

Yes I run safe defrag when I think of it while in safe mode but mostly just run the regular defrags inside windows. ..... Since i've gotten accustomed to auslogic's quickness I seldom do windows defrag, maybe once every month or so.... ,, window defrag does run with the auto settings that i customized only for time of day to run.

With Vista when I do run the windows defrag I always run it with the /w switch to remove all white space - which is probably what austlogics calls their 'Defrag and Optimize'.

I just did a auslogics defrag with Optimize a day or two ago and just now to experiment I ran it again while booted into the desktop on safe mode and it took 21 minutes. Moved a lot of that STUFF into neat rows. Alot seemed like the last Java update.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Urlee quotes the 'missing manual' on disabling the anti virus, not likely I am going to do that.

I also feel there is little point in a defrag if a person fails to clean up the junk using the Disk Clean utility from MS, Ccleaner (my fav) or a similar program. Seems much like putting dirty dishes back in a cupboard.

My computers might get defragged twice a year, not more.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Since Win2000 was introduced there has been an option available to analyze the system disk before defragging. That will answer the "need" question if so desired.

Undoubtedly this protocol is a throw back to my computer developmental years of Win95 and 98, but I do a strong maintenance monthly: file cleaning (CCleaner), disk error-checking and defragging. It keeps everything running tip-top and it suits me just fine. Shorter than that I feel is overdone. Longer makes me feel like I am inviting trouble.
    DA

• grandms
    14 years ago

Yes, I usually do this about once a month also. Always do all the cleanup first, then run check disk and defrag. As Owbist says, if the cleanup isn't done, it's like "putting dirty dishes back in a cupboard". I like that analogy.

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I put clean and dirty cups and things into the totally wrong shelf or refrigerator. Then wonder where are my favorite cup and glasses. Until I notice that soup can in the dishes cabinet to make me think, they're gone.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

I always hit the analyze button and if windows says it doesn't need a defrag I don't. I always use CCleaner first and disk clean-up. Never do a disk check - maybe I'll try that sometime. I do not shut off anti-virus. Just let Windows analyze and do what it says.

I never save anything. I download to my desktop, install and delete the file. I don't see any reason to save them.

Shaddy, don't be afraid of the computer. I tell friends who feel like you that there is NOTHING you can do to hurt it unless you throw it to the floor...which I've been close to doing many times. Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Defragmenter. Click Analyze and follow what it says. Easy and you can't mess up.

Jane

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi owbist,

Thrdfrt what each poster above has noted is good advice but as you have seen they all use different methods. Unlike any other home user item a computer offers so many ways to accomplish a task. None need be wrong, it is simply a personal preference.

OK, so from what you are saying is that, you can defrag in safe mode if you want or you can just use the other programs without using safe mode if you wish. That makes total sense to me. So it is as simple as that. That's good to know and now I can make my decision as to what I want to do without fear of messing up. Thanks for the great explanation. BTW, I hope that you all know that I wasn't thinking in the terms of right or wrong here, it was all about me being able to understand it. Sometimes I see things more complicated than what it actually is and my focus is, there is only one way to fix this problem. In this case, I don't need to stay on that one way track, I understand now that I can choose a different route that still gets me to the same place.

Thank you, I appreciate everyones help in this matter. You all are great. "Smiles"

thirdfrt!!!

• urlee
    14 years ago

Urlee quotes the 'missing manual' on disabling the anti virus, not likely I am going to do that.

I figured out WHY to your reply owbist.
    I am guessing the person who wrote that book is on "Dialup?" "LOL"
    You see, I am on dialup so could disable the anti virus but you "Broadbanders" are Always ON if you know what I mean?

(Heh, heh, former English teacher ends a sentence with a preposition. LOL!)
    I must not "speaka goot english" cause I saw nothing wrong with. (smiles)

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

It makes perfect sense to disable AV when doing anything. Is it necessary? No. I personally rarely do it. However, it sure can't hurt anything.

This concept is a throw back to the protocols established years and systems ago when you use to disable everything in the Task Manager, except Sys Tray and Explorer, when you did any software installation and system update. The same was done as a first response to concerns of defragging and such locking up.

Isn't checkdisk actually called error-checking since XP? If so, incorrect terminology can lead to confusion for newer users.

DA

• thirdfrt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Isn't checkdisk actually called error-checking since XP? If so, incorrect terminology can lead to confusion for newer users.

DA

Hi DA,

In Windows XP,it actually says both. When I go into my computer, click on properties, then click on tools it does say error-checking but, when I click on check now it then shows Check Disk Local Disk C. Then you have the check disk options to choose from. "Automatically fix file system errors" and below that "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors."

I was told that it was best to put a check mark in both of them and run them at the same time. The people who built my computer told me that was the better way to do it.

thirdfrt!!!