SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

Googlemail, Facebook questions/concerns

marknmt
15 years ago

Good Morning! I hope this is the appropriate forum for this question.

Since we started using Google and Facebook we've noticed an extreme sluggishness in using them. It often takes a long time for the program to catch up with my typing, for example, and the cursor can be sluggish too, especially in Facebook.

I suspect two things and would like confirmation/denial, please.

First, I think both of the programs are sending data back and forth to their sites a great deal, and (sometimes?) using their servers to hold partially completed date rather than letting it remain on our computer until done. If this is the case my problem would be exacerbated by the fact that we're on dialup still.

Second, I think both of these programs are huge memory hogs. We have just under a meg of RAM and it's usually enough, but often using these programs we see the program writing to disk almost constantly.

Other salient facts: It's an older computer, Win98SE, and the situation seems to improve if we boot the computer. I think clearing the cache helps, not sure, and we find it useful and necessary to defrag at least twice, often more, per week.

Thanks to all for any comments.

Best,

Mark

ps- we do anticipate upgrading to a faster connection- looks like 256Kbs will be the best speed we can get now.

Comments (4)