SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Do I need these add-ons,plug-ins, updates?

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

Doing some general computer upkeep - updating and running spyware and antivirus programs, defragging, etc., and I have questions about some of the stuff on our computers and whether I need it or can delete it.

Firefox add-ons,plugins:

do I need Java Console, Java Quick starter, and Microsoft .Net Framework ASsistant? I don't know what these are or how they got added. I'm guessing they were installed along with Java updates or Windows .net frame updates, when I didn't question just clicking yes to whatever they asked.

At one time I got the Firefox add-on Open IT Online. It must have been recommended by someone (likely on this forum) - but I don't use it and am not sure if I should be using it. Does anyone know this add-on and whether it's one I should utilize?Updating my husband's Vista laptop and ran Secunia. It suggested updates for Adobe Air (what is that and can it/should it be removed from his computer altogether) and Acrobat Reader. I thought I had removed Acrobat Reader when I installed pdfx viewer - but I'm guessing some remnant was left (or my husband inadvertently clicked yes to installing reader while he was opening a pdf file). Anyway - before I realized what I was doing, I clicked update reader (which took a long, long time) bc. I thought I was clicking for updating Adobe Flash player. If he does in fact have pdfx viewer, can I just remove the Adobe Acrobat Reader? Are there sometimes remnants left that require more removal?

My husband primarily uses Internet Explorer and he only has IE7. Should I install IE 8 for him? If so, where should I get it from since it doesn't come up when I do Windows Update?

I have a feeling there were other things, but for now this is all I recall.

Thank you.

Lynn.

Comments (9)