SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three_daisies

Bath in basement adds $10+K to cost-Do I need bath?

three_daisies
10 years ago

DH and I are trying to overcome sticker shock on a proposal we received to finish our un-plumbed basement. We knew that cutting the concrete to run pipes had to be done for a bathroom, but adding the full bath, ejector pump and having to move the hot water heater AND furnace/reattach everything adds more than $10K to the bottom line. (bath can only go in one location).

I had discussed with my first choice of contractor our budget and thought he'd alert me prior to giving me a detailed proposal that he was going to come in $15-$18K over our outside number (or that our budget was patently unreasonable). But he didn't and so I was bitterly disappointed.

I'm sure the plumbing issues are labor intensive and difficult/costly to fit a bathroom in but we are rethinking the bathroom entirely. Even reducing to a half bath doesn't help us any. Does it decrease the functionality of the basement not to have any bathroom? Is it a deal killer? We're not moving in the foreseeable future but having kids/adults having to come upstairs to use the half bath - or worse -go upstairs to our bedroom level to find a bath - seems like an inconvenient alternative. My DH would have his new home office down there (and work there every day) so yet another reason I was pushing for a bathroom. And for the occasional overnight guest.

I was ready to sign a contract last week if the proposal had come in on/around our budget (or even a little over) - now we feel like we shouldn't do this at all if we can't do it "right." Should I give up on the project or look for a different contractor? Get a consult from a plumber?

Comments (10)