SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Oops! Upgraded DD's RAM - now Mouse won't work

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

I upgraded my daughter's Dell Dimension 4500. There's lots of mixed information online about whether the 4500 can handle more than 1 GB memory. Here's a cnet thread that suggests it can:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0740404&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063#Overview

Seems that Dell documentation states max as 1GB bc. documentation is old.

I probably bought this Ram to update her computer close to a year ago (maybe less but it's been quite a while). I am pretty sure that to determine which type of RAM to get, I had Crucial do an online scan of my daughter's computer - and came up with potentially two 1GB sticks of RAM. She already had 768 (one 256 original to the machine and on1 512 that the previous owner installed), so I decided to just replace the original 256 with a 1GB stick. Again - it's been a while so I don't fully recall my research in doing this - but I think it was sound and that it was the appropriate type of RAM.

So I just put the new RAM in (and blew out the dust bunnies while I was there). Reconnected everything. The computer boots up well. And it shows there are updates for superantispyware, and asks if it can check for an update for the webcam software. BUT - the pointer is not moving. The mouse won't work. I tried switching to another mouse (wired) and it doesn't work either.

So I don't know what to do - or what I did wrong. Could the wrong amount/type or RAM cause this? The bootup was so beautiful. perhaps because I forgot to turn off the wireless mouse before unplugging from the usb port, it messed it up? The computer was already shut off and unplugged. But no mouse is working.

Did I blew dust into the wrong place - and it's blocking/damaging the mouse operations? Did I accidentally touch something and screw it up (the only nearby thing I had to remove before switching RAM was the AGP card (don't know what that is but I thought the removal and replacement went smoothly).

Any ideas what to do now - or what the problem may have been? Might have been good if I'd written the type of RAM first - but I didn't - not expecting a problem - but I"m 95% sure that I ordered the 1GB RAM stick based on Crucial's scan of the computer.

One step forward, two steps back. Isn't that how it often goes.

Thanks.

Lynn.

PS - FWIW - keyboard may not be working either. When I pressed Alt-Control-Delete, nothing happened.

Don't think this is relevant but she has Windows XP sp3.

Comments (9)