SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

NiftyWin7 feature for drive upgrades

bpgreen
12 years ago

My netbook started having some hard drive problems, so I created an image, shut down and ordered a new drive. The original drive was 160GB and the new one was 250GB (almost the same price, or maybe even cheaper for the bigger drive).

When I restored the image, I opted to use the same size partitions so I didn't get an unnecessarily big recovery partition.

So I had 90 GB of dead space at the end of the drive. The C: drive and the empty space were non-contiguous. So I decided I'd use the new space for things like music and videos from my Tivo and from archive.org.

When I went to partition and format it, one of the options (the default) was to assign a drive letter. But another option was to create an empty folder on the C: drive and mount the new partition on that folder. That's fairly similar to the way it's done in Unix, and I opted for that since it doesn't tie up a drive letter.

After formatting the partition, the folder I used for it has a different icon. I simply cut my folder with Tivo movies and pasted it to the new location, then cut my archive.org movies and moved them there as well. I immediately freed up a huge amount of space on C: and gave myself some space for large files without taking up a drive letter.

Comment (1)