Win 10, HP laptop, First Drive

jane__ny

I find Win 10 confusing enough then this. When I load photos on the laptop they go into 'first drive.'

What is that? I thought Windows used Photo Gallery for photos but it doesn't seem to exist on this machine.

Last night when I tried to get a photo to post online, it wouldn't work. Couldn't bring the photo over. I tried using 'link' and copying the photo to insert it in a post. I got that to work.

I'm sure this sounds confusing (it is to me) but just wondering whether Photo Gallery or some sort of photo editing program comes with Windows?

Also, what is First Drive?

Thanks,

Jane

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mtvhike

Could you mean "OneDrive", which is Microsoft's version of cloud storage?

Save     Thanked by jane__ny
badabing2

Depending on what type of editing you need, I find Irfanview (free) do 99% of what I want - resize, crop, batch operations, image optimize, etc.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

When you load anything on to a PC, they "go" where you tell them to go. Or to where the program default is set. Almost everything is configurable and changeable by the user

Try again. Start the program first before connecting the camera. Or connect the camera and stop short of the download. Look for options/settings/preferences to set the destination folder. Or maybe it can be done when you connect the camera to the PC.

Or, take the card out of the camera, connect it to the PC as if an external drive, and then using Windows Explorer copy and paste the images to the folder where you want them to be. Sometimes this can be done with the camera connected without removing the memory card but without triggering the "automatic download" program that may pop up.

Edit to add - the same is also true of the bundled photo program that comes with Windows or any other photo program that a user decides to download and use instead. All will open photo files in whatever folder they're located. Even on external drives or devices, no matter where or what. You just need to tell it where to go.

You're driving the car, not someone else. It goes where you steer to. Good luck.

2 Likes Save    
jane__ny

Thanks, everyone.

Elmer there is no program showing. Usually there's Windows Photo Gallery on my other computers. That is usually the default. It is not on this machine which is troubling.

I'm fed up with this laptop. I have it about a year and multiple things are not working or unusual. I'm seriously thinking of trashing it.

I didn't realize it only had a 6 month warranty and the keyboard started acting up one week after the warranty expired.

Yes, MTV, I meant One Drive.

I installed a free Adobe photo program which I will make the default and see if that works.

Thanks again,

Jane

Save    
mtvhike

Keyboards are cheap, just get another one (If your current one is USB, be sure your replacement one is). This is an opportunity to get a new keyboard which has more features, if you want. You could also get a wireless one, if you prefer (I don't!).

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Imagine two kitchens, a futuristic one (#1) and a traditional one (#2).

As dinnertime approaches, you enter #1. There's a touch screen on the wall - when you touch Dinner, it say "We'll make the salmon you bought, plus roasted potatoes and Caesar salad. Dinner will be ready in 20 minutes". You return to your book on the patio while the robots and other automation devices prepare your dinner. A bell dings in 20 minutes and your plated dinner is on the counter.

For # 2, it's hand's on, do it yourself. No need to go through the steps, you know what's involved.

The PC equivalent of kitchen #1 is an Apple Mac. #2 is a Windows PC.

You have a Windows PC. Settings are meant to be changed, nothing is "automatic" nor necessarily coordinated from one thing to another. Nor are the default settings necessarily what any one particular user wants to have or the same as they were on a different PC. You can set anything and change anything to behave how you prefer but it doesn't do so without your action.

Other than the keyboard issue, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the laptop. I've previously suggested installing Open Shell, which makes the interface similar to Win 7 or 8. There's no "Win!10" confusion to blame if that's workable but maybe not.

From your words, getting things set up to behave and offer a use pattern you prefer is beyond what you can do comfortably. I'd suggest you have two choices

1) Find a neighbor, family member, or other person who can change the settings how you prefer. If no one is nearby, install Team Viewer on the PC so that someone located thousands of miles away or in the next town can connect to the PC (with your permission, of course) and operate it as if they were sitting in front of it. This is something I've done with oldsters in the family and it's simple and easy.

or

2) Buy an Apple Mac. It's like Kitchen #1. Everything is automatic, almost nothing is configurable. You turn it on and use it, nothing else required.

I recommend you buy a Mac. I think I've made that suggestion to you before too.

I'd even be willing to try to set up things for you remotely using Team Viewer but you'd have to accept my accessing your PC. You would watch what I do and so there would be no uncertainty about it. Let me know

Good luck

Save    
jane__ny

Elmer, thanks for your response.

I'm very well aware of 'default settings.' My post makes clear no photo program was included on my machine. Not even Photo Gallery which is on every Windows computer I've owned. Right now I have three Windows computers, all older than this one. All run Win 10. They all came with Photo Gallery and I have no problem uploading photos or viewing.

I use an IPhone and upload directly from my phone. I'm not using a card.

If I recall, you tried to help me a few years ago remotely installing ITunes with no results. Thank you for your time.

I'm not buying a Mac. Everything I have and do is on Windows. I've used Mac's but am most familiar with Windows and intend to stay with it. I am familiar with PC's and do not need a neighbor, nor expert to tell me why this laptop shipped with items usually included. I do not need a neighbor to fix the keyboard. I do not intend to spend another penny on this machine. I was asking if anyone had a similar problem having photos go to 'One Drive.'

MTV, my machine is a laptop. The keyboard does not work after 8 months. I bought a wireless keyboard and it wouldn't work. The mouse did, but not the keyboard.

The installed keyboard on the machine has keys which do not work. O, L, T, D. Hard to type letters, etc without those letters.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback and help. I should mention that this laptop is SSD.

Jane

Save    
acraftylady
  • If you mean one drive you can disable it if you don't want your stuff backed up. I have a lenovo win 10 deaktop and laptop. Out of the box on both my pictures open in something called photos that came on here. A windows 10 thing or lenovo thing I have no clue. I used to use Adobe photoshop but now I do everything on my android phone so don't use the computers much. Bought both computers at best buy in store at the same time. Here is what I see in the program list and when I open a photo. Are you sure photo gallery is on win 10 computers? Is there possibly a photo viewer from the manufacturer? Here is a recent article I found. Where were you trying to insert photos, a message board online? Have you posted photos to that forum before and it worked ok? One needlework forum I visit doesn't have direct inserting so we have to use HTML coding so not all message boards work the same. If your computer came with no way to view photos you can always install something. You are making something so simple more complicated than it needs to be. If i had an 8 month old computer not performing right i would be using the warranty. Mary

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get-windows-photo-viewer-back-in-windows-10/

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Sorry Jane, but the nature of problems and questions you ask belie your saying that you're familiar with PCs and can handle them on your own. It seems to be otherwise. You sometimes struggle with things others don't struggle with and you often push back against suggestions others offer (not just me) to resolve these "problems". Hundreds of millions of users worldwide don't find Win 10 confusing as you say you do. Have a more open mind and give some suggestions a try.

I vaguely remember prior offline communication but your suggesting there was a failure to install something as elementary as iTunes definitely rings with a thud. I've installed that on dozens of PCs over what seems like 20 years. It's a trivial thing to do as with downloading any software programs, as the tens of millions of current iTunes users experience on Windows PCs.

Like many Microsoft apps and stock programs, I find Photos to be a dud. I've been using Fast Stone for over 10 years, and have also used Irfanview. Both are free, faster, more flexible, and more feature packed than the MS offerings. But one still has to transfer photos to a findable folder to use them.

With an iPhone, you'd be much happier with a Mac. Everything is automatic, photo syncing and all. Enough said. Good luck.

Save    
acraftylady

This is what PC Magazine says. IrfanView is very good. It's weird because in googling I see nothing that says wibdows 10 comes with photo galllery. Mary

"The Photos app is included with Windows 10, and it replaces the Windows Photo Gallery app. You can no longer download the older app, which added panorama stitching, collage, and sharpening tools. If you've got Windows 10, you don't need to do anything to get the newer app. Like theApple Photos app included with macOS, it's just there. If, by some chance, Photos isn't among your Windows 10 PC's apps, you can always get it from the Windows (app) Store."

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Windows 10 seems to automatically come with "Photos" and it's the default program (easily changed) to open files in common image formats (like jpg, gif, etc). I just checked the two PCs I can look at without moving to another part of the house. Both have Win10, both have Photos, which I promise you I didn't download on my own, and both remain unused because I prefer FastStone, as before.

Edit to add something I forgot to mention:

OP said

"I should mention that this laptop is SSD."

Jane, that makes no difference at all. As far as the user interface and PC use is concerned, what kind of drive a machine has is of no consequence. Solid state drives are a bit faster and a bit more expensive than the standard spinning platter type but both do the same thing the same way, as far as the user is concerned.

Save    
acraftylady

Wondering what kind of laptop they got that only came with a 6 month warranty and why windows 10 on their doesn't have photos? They don't seem to realize one drive is not just cloud storage for photos. I don't think they understand windows 10 and their PC. You are probably right a Mac would be better to go with the IPhone. Mary

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

If you'd be more comfortable using "Windows Photo Gallery", you can still add it. It's part of "Windows Essentials". Where is the best place to download it? I don't know but without looking too hard I found a link provided by Andre Da Costa, an MVP and volunteer moderator on the Microsoft "Community" help forum. ( install windows 10 photo gallery )

http://web.archive.org/web/20170112124505/http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA42D6-6A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe

Personally, when installing I'd read the prompts and click "Choose the programs you want to install":

And deselect everything except "Photo Gallery and Movie Maker":

Then you'll have "Photo Gallery" available:

Which if you want, you can set as the default photo viewer:

BTW, I *suspect* the reason your older Win10 machines had Photo Gallery already installed may be because they were upgraded from Win7 or Win8? From what I've read, Win10 no longer comes with Photo Gallery (it comes with Photos) but performing an upgrade won't blow it away.

I haven't used Photo Gallery much if at all but when I briefly opened it, I saw that it includes an "Import Photos" option that may be what you're familiar with, and would make it easier?

Save    
mtvhike

One thing I like about Photos is their slideshow "subapp": If you copy all the photos AND VIDEOS for a specific event, trip, etc. to a folder, then select one photo, then select "slideshow", it will show them all, including the videos, I think in chronological order. Very convenient for the annual meeting of my hiking club where many people submitted photos and viceos!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Even basic Windows Explorer (how you look at folders on a drive) will present images in a folder as a slide show. That may be what you're describing, it doesn't involve Photos. In Explorer, highlight the image files you want, then click on Picture Tools, Slide Show. It will keep running through the selected images until stopped.

No other software is needed.

Save    
mtvhike

Elmer, the point of my comment is that .JPGs and videos get intermixed with a seamless slideshow.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Is that what you said originally or were your comments edited?

There are many kinds of software to do what you describe. I personally find Photos to be sub-par compared to the many available alternatives. Especially when as in this case, someone is struggling to see their images because of not understanding basic file operations in Windows. A task the nature of which has been unchanged for at least the last 20 years. And is more apparent in other programs, like Fast Stone that presents you with the folder tree to choose from.

Save    
mtvhike

I did not edit that comment, but I guess it would be easily missed. I personally like to make the best of programs which are part of the original OS because I already have so many it's confusing. One reason is that I frequently am doing things on computers which are not mine - either work computers or I'm helping other people out, and I like to become as familiar as possible with the default options as possible. For example, I use Photoshop or Lightroom for photo editing, but most people don't have those programs.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 10 Small Bathrooms, 10 Different Looks
See how you can personalize a standard-size bathroom with a vanity, toilet and shower-tub combo
Full Story
Small Kitchens 10 Things You Didn't Think Would Fit in a Small Kitchen
Don't assume you have to do without those windows, that island, a home office space, your prized collections or an eat-in nook
Full Story
Gardening Guides 10 Tips to Start a Garden — Can-Do Ideas for Beginners
Green up your landscape even if you're short on time, money and knowledge, with these manageable steps for first-time gardeners
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More