SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_939966930

Upgrade Insulation in the Attic?

HU-939966930
2 years ago

Hello, everyone - We are working with a local builder in Charleston, SC (actually Mount Pleasant) for a new construction single-family home. It's elevated construction near the water, approximately 3200 square feet with 4 bedrooms and a separate finished 3rd floor that takes the place of the attic.

Rendering here:

The builder is offering R30 insulation under the roof deck as a standard feature. Upgrading to R38 is possible, but it's an $800 upgrade. There is no option to install a radiant barrier (prior to closing) because the builder lost the supplier and isn't planning to secure another one.

Importantly, our roof is all black (to complement a bright white painted house, not like the roof in the rendering above), and we're in an area that will receive full sunlight on the roof all day (i.e., no trees or surrounding vegetation to block some of that solar radiation).

Question: Is it worth upgrading to the R38 insulation, or could our $800 be put to better use potentially installing some type of radiant barrier after closing? If so, can you provide any recommendations for optimized cooling in that space? I'm really worried about that 3rd floor/attic area getting extremely hot during the day and driving up our energy costs. HVAC ductwork runs all through the unfinished portion of that level, so I can see the air conditioning working overtime to keep the house cool.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022