SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

fake security virus got me, help please

buyorsell888
12 years ago

As I was surfing this evening Firefox got stuck, I don't even remember doing what and I tried to close it, it was non responsive then a warning popped up from near the clock saying hard drive error and I could tell it was fake, but, I made the mistake of clicking on it to close it and it apparently installed itself. I tried to shut down the computer properly but it wouldn't work so I pushed the button.

I got on my Netbook and did some research, I booted it back up and tried to go to Safe Mode but it wouldn't. My desktop and start menu is all wrong. My start menu is missing all my programs for example. I looked in My Computer and under Program files was able to start Malwarebytes. I ran a full scan which took over an hour and it found several trojans or just one with different names. I removed everything and restarted my computer.

During the scan by Malwarebytes windows popped up repeatedly saying hard drive error, memory error and Zone Alarm kept popping up with a long named/numbered program wanting to connect to the Internet which I denied.

Upon restart my desktop and start menu still are wrong they are blank. Webshots won't work, my programs are all gone from the menu. My Documents is grayed out when I look at My Computer and when I click on it, it is empty.

I ran a Quick Scan by Malwarebytes and found nothing this time. I ran Super Anti Spyware which found a tracking cookie and nothing more. I ran CCleaner too.

I tried to use System Restore but it would not restore, said there had been no changes. I tried yesterday's date and last week's.

I'm not sure what to do now.....

Win XP SP3

Firefox 6.0.2

Avast free

Zone Alarm free

Spyware Blaster

Malwarebytes

Super Antispyware

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews