SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

My netbook got hit with a virus

jane__ny
13 years ago

Had house guests over the weekend and they were using my netbook to look up vacation places...nothing shady. Last night I kept getting an alert from zone alarm that a program was trying to connect to the internet. I didn't recognize the name and kept denying it. I did write down the name and Googled it and nothing came up.

This morning I updated FF and Adobe and got the alert from ZA again and allowed it thinking it had something to do with the updates. That's when I got hit. Took me a few moments to realize what was happening as a security alert (which looked like Windows) told me my computer was virused and to update my AV. I use AVG and it looked like it was running a scan but I realized it was spelled differently. Long story, I managed to get Malwarebytes to run and it caught 7 Trojans and virus.

I told it to remove and it appears it did. Computer appears to work fine except it will not connect to the internet. I keep getting a window which says something about Proxy server not being allowed. I tried both FF and IE and it says the Proxy is being denied and to check my firewall. I have no idea what I'm looking for. What is Proxy settings? It says I'm connected with a good signal but refuses the Proxy (something like that).

The netbook runs XP, sp3.I use FF, AVG, ZA, Malwarebytes, Spywareblaster. Everything is updated regularly. I do not have a printer for the netbook and can't find the log where Malwarebytes saves. Its not in My Docs. Anyone know where it saves? I would copy it on a flash and post the log if necessary.

This is the first time in all the years on my computers this has ever happened to me. I'm so careful and follow all of the advise given here. Can someone explain what Proxy means and how I can find it.

Jane

Comments (16)