SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susie_que12

What were they thinkin??

susie_que
14 years ago

Those who have moved, haven't you wanted to have a sit down with the old owners and ask all those questions??

Had to dig my green thumb out of retirement the past few weeks! Gosh I sure did miss digging and getting dirty!!

I first tackeled the front raised garden bed. I had to move some bushes so I could plant the dwarf burberry bushes Frankie picked out. The retaining wall was so poorly constructed it would shift as you dug so thanks to Frankie (bless his heart) took it down and rebuilt it!

Then I moved to he side yard and the tree ring. Now I have no idea what kind of tree it is...my FIL is supposed to look at the pics and tell me but they constructed a tree ring with plastic edging about 6 ft round. They covered the ground with black out cloth but for the life of me I have no idea why they then put top soil on top of the cloth?? Then a messy layer of gravel?? Well needless to say the edging is gone-replaced by bricks. I removed as much gravel as I could to another part of the garden.

I had a LOT of weeding to do and turned over the soil with some good compost. After I planted about 100 daffodil bulbs aroud the ring I hit it with some good top soil and mulch....can I just say that alone is a huge improvement.

Finally to the side garden up against the garage...a huge heap of dead hostas...this plot gets all day full sun and while I know some hostas can take sun these were obviously not that variety LOL!!

Frank and I spent 2 full days out in the yard and we've barely scratched the surface.

With the cooler weather coming I fear I won't have time to do much more than work on the lawn ammending the soil and seeding.

Any ideas on what else I can plant in these beds now??

Cheers!

Susie

Comments (14)