SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angelaid

Put on your thinkin' caps

angelaid
16 years ago

A friend and I are going to start doing "game night" every two weeks with finger foods/appetizers. Stef asked me for some recipes. She's a single mom raising two boys, so time, and money, are tight for her. The only things I can think of so far are:

Smokies in bbq sauce (or that grape jelly/chili sauce)

Ham and cream cheese rollups

Some of the ham and cheese rollups baked in crescent rolls

Jalapeno poppers

Comments (11)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Meatballs in the Chili Sauce and Grape Jelly Sauce
    Texas Trash (spicy Nuts 'n Bolts)
    Ham Delights (hot ham and cheese on party rolls)
    Spinach Dip in a bread bowl
    Baked Artichoke or Spinach Dip with small toasts
    Pimiento Cheese Spread with Crackers
    Sausage Rolls (I can provide a recipe)
    Crescent Veggie Pizza
    Cheese Ball with crackers
    Hot Wings or BBQ Wings
    Marinated Mushrooms
    Empanadas
    Banderillas
    Deviled Eggs

I'll be happy to help with recipes if desired.
    Teresa

• annie1992
    16 years ago

How about that layered mexican dip, with the refried beans/taco meat/cheese/sour cream/lettuce/tomato/cheese layers?

My family all likes hot pepper jelly over a brick of cream cheese with crackers and a chili type dip with tortilla chips or corn chips for dipping.

Meatballs are usually pretty popular and they can be served on their own or in sub buns for a more substantial bite. You can use any sauce from marinara to sweedish to the grape jelly/catsup thing. My girls like them cooked in half catsup, half Coke stirred together to make a sauce.

Mini cheeseburgers are really popular now, but I'd rather have a bit of ham on a homemade sweet potato biscuit or on Caliloo's cheddar chipotle biscuits.

I like to make homemade "hot pockets", we always called them calzone. You can use frozen bread dough or canned biscuits, roll out into a circle, fill with pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese or corned beef, cheese and sauerkraut, or chicken enchilada type filling, anything you like.

Stromboli can be made with the same frozen bread dough although I make my own. Roll out a loaf of dough, spread with sauce, mushrooms, ham, cheese and roll up like a cinnamon roll, seal the ends and bake, then serve in slices.

A hot spinach or spinach and artichoke dip is nice with chips or crackers and my brother in law just loved Linda C's bologna snackers at Christmas last year. He passed up dessert to eat that bologna and more olives. (grin) I have the recipe at home but can't find it here on the forum, of course, I hate the search function. Pah.

And, of course, there are always wings. Buffalo wings, BBQ wings, lemon-dill wings, wings glazed with Jessica's lime chipotle marinade. There's a buffalo chicken casserole that's even easier than wings, I understand.

Finally, there's hummus or bean dip. Lori's white bean dip is great, I love it for lunch.

Recipes? Well, OK.

7 layer dip

3 (16 ounce) cans refried black beans
    1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
    32 ounces sour cream
    12 ounces guacamole
    Assorted Toppings To Taste:
    3 cups lettuce, shredded
    2 beefsteak tomatoes, coarsely chopped
    2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
    8 ounces black olives, sliced
    6 ounces green pimento stuffed olives, sliced
    2-4 green onions, coarsely chopped

Directions
    In large mixing bowl, combine refried beans and salsa. Consistency should be that of cake frosting--spreadable but not thick. Adjust amount of salsa accordingly.
    Spread bean and salsa mixture onto serving platter. (I use the back of a metal serving spoon.). Layer remaining ingredients. Serve with Tortilla Chips.

CORNMEAL BISCUITS WITH CHEDDAR AND CHIPOTLE

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    3/4 cup (packed) chopped green onions

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated yellow extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup (about) buttermilk
    1 tablespoon finely minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo*

1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon whipping cream (for glaze)

Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 425F. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and sauté 2 minutes to soften slightly. Remove from heat.

Blend flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in processor. Add 1/2 cup chilled butter; cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cheese; cut in using on/off turns. Transfer flour mixture to large bowl. Whisk 1 egg in glass measuring cup. Add enough buttermilk to egg to measure 1 cup; stir in green-onion mixture and chipotles. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Pour buttermilk mixture into well; mix just until evenly moistened.

Turn dough out onto generously floured surface. Knead gently just until dough holds together, about 10 turns. Pat out on generously floured surface to 3/4-inch-thick round. Using 3-inch round cutter, cut out biscuits. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Gather dough scraps; pat out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut out additional biscuits. Brush biscuits with egg glaze.

Bake biscuits until golden, tester inserted into center comes out clean, and biscuits feel firm, about 18 minutes. Cool on rack 5 minutes. Serve warm.

*Available at some supermarkets, specialty foods stores, and Latin markets.

Makes about 10.

Habanero Gold

Big Batch Habanero Gold (Carol calls it Hot N Sweet Confetti Jelly)

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
    Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    1/4 cup Habanero peppers
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
    Stir occasionally if convenient.

Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute. Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes. When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

Buffalo Chicken
    ===============

Side note: This is a recipe that my hubbie makes
    that he learned from his college roommate
    from Buffalo, NY. It's very yummy!!

8 boneless chicken breasts

Mix together:
    1 small bottle of Frank's hot sauce (6 oz.)
    ½ stick of melted margarine
    3 cloves garlic (minced)

Dip chicken in bread crumbs, and fry in vegetable
    oil until golden brown. Place in baking dish,
    and pour the mixture over the breasts. Bake
    for 25 minutes @ 350.

If you want it spicier, use less margarine.
    If you want it milder, use more margarine.

Serve celery sticks with bleu cheese dressing as
    a side dish.

Lime-Chipotle Sauce - Sunset Magazine
    Posted by Jessica, CF

Food processor:
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobado sauce
    3 tablespoons brown mustard
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Season with salt and pepper

Serve sauce as a marinade grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups

I'm a heat wuss, so I just use one chipotle, not two.

White Bean Dip with Pita Chips -Lori
    1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons
    1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    6 pitas
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Place the beans, garlic, lemon juice, 1/3 cup olive oil, and parsley in the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the bean puree to a small bowl. (Note: The dip will turn green in a relatively short time due to the fresh parsley.)
    Cut each pita in half and then into 8 wedges. Arrange the pita wedges on a large baking sheet. Pour the remaining oil over the pitas. Toss and spread out the wedges evenly. Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until toasted and golden in color.
    Serve the pita toasts warm or at room temperature alongside the bean puree.

There, that ought to get you started!

Annie

• Related Discussions

Please put on your thinking caps

Q

Comments (6)
    Well, it took a WEE bit of googling--but I found you one. Hope this will work... There were lots of other sites. I googled the string two gallon glass jar Sorry I couldn't find you a freebie...you might try craigslist. melanie Here is a link that might be useful: 2 gallon glass jar
    ...See More

Please put your thinking caps on and buckle up.

Q

Comments (4)
    Springshowers - what a great lot of photos. It really helps when people put in several photos from different angles. I'm sorry that i can't help you except to say that this iris ir really NOT like Victoria Falls, as the falls are far too old styled - long and recurved, and the colour is far too dark. It may help to give a description of the irises garden habit - what time of year does it bloom (early, mid season or late)? how tall are the flower spikes? Does the fan have purple based foliage? How many blooms per stalk on average? It also helps to look around at peoples web pages of photos, or in catalogues. It is extremely difficult to indentify an iris who has lost it's name, unless it has some very unusual distinguishing feature. The only way to tell for sure is to buy something you think it might be and grow them side by side. It is a pretty bloom, so why not enjoy it without the name? Cheers, Jan in Australia, anticipating the iris season.
    ...See More

Ok, Put Your Thinking Caps On!

Q

Comments (18)
    Punk, you always have good ideas and I always enjoy hearing them! Your Christmas table idea sounds lovely and I'm definitely going to try it next December. I do have some smaller trees that would work well on the table with him. Thanks! Here's a close-up of the ground jewels painting. It's done on silk, BTW. I don't know much more about the process or why they use ground jewels to paint with. It sounds like waste of good jewels to me. My guess is that artists use the chips left behind when various jewels are cut, but that's only a guess. I've just tried googling "ground jewels+paint" and didn't find anything. Hi Twomonths, and welcome to our forum! I see from your GW page that you're originally a Texas gal now living with your family in SoCal. Your ideas are great. I actually have a box of slender brass candlesticks in varying heights somewhere around here. I hadn't even thought of them until you mentioned this . . . thank you! Hope you post here more often now :~) Lynn
    ...See More

Put your thinking caps on !!

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Rita, Southern Manitoba is on what was the bottom of large Lake Agassiz, centuries (millenia?) ago, so is quite flat and several rivers flow into the area. The area has developed some world-class systems of coping with floods - ran an expensive diversion around Winnipeg, the capital, where the Red River, coming up from Fargo, ND, joins downtown with the Assiniboine, coming in from Brandon, in the west, where the flood is bad, now. When they built that large diversion channel, about 40 years ago, I think, there was substantial criticism, but they've been thankful, several times since. To send some water to you, we'd have to haul it overland to drop into Lake Superior, then send it down through the Great Lakes. Or send it upstream down the Red River, then overland to the Mississippi, and upstream through one of the tributaries of the Mississippi, which wouldn't get it very close to you, I expect. So it looks like quite project. And no fishy stories included, either! At least your fish are large enough that the crows that caught some smaller ones in another member's backyard pool would have a hard time dealing with them - maybe the heron that was also a culprit would find them too hard to handle! I hope that you're keeping your lines on the back porch far enough under the roof that a high wind doesn't blow the rain in and wet your lines. Hope you're having a satisfying season. ole joyful
    ...See More
  • angelaid
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are awesome. Keep them coming and I'll send the link to this thread to her. Maybe she'll become another food forum junkie! lol

• woodie
    16 years ago

I love appetizers for dinner!

MQ'S Tiny Roquefort Popovers
    From Williams-Sonoma

Vegetable oil, for brushing

1 cup (5 oz/155 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
    1 and 1/4 cups (10 fl oz/310 ml) milk, at room temperature
    2 eggs, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    3 oz (90 g) Roquefort or other strong-flavored, crumbly blue cheese, crumbled

Position an oven rack in the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 450 (220°C). Generously brush two 12-cup nonstick mini muffin pans with vegetable oil.
    In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, white pepper, and parsley. In a large measuring pitcher, whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk together until just combined (don't worry if a few lumps remain). Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups to within about 1/4 inch (6 mm) of the rim (about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons each). Place a scant teaspoon crumbled cheese in the center of each filled cup.

Bake for 10 minutes. Do not open the oven door during this time. Reduce the heat to 350 (18O°C) and continue to bake until brown and crusty and fully puffed, 8-10 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a warmed: platter or napkin-lined bowl. Serve at once. Or, let cool on racks (for up to 2 hours, then reheat in a 350 (18O°C) oven for 10 minutes.
    MAKES 24 WARM BITES.

I like these for a change from the sweet cocktail meatballs.

Manly Meatballs (Courtesy Arthur Schwartz)
    Makes about 36

1 pound ground chuck (not leaner beef)

3 scallions, finely minced (use most of the green)

4 tablespoons dark soy sauce (or regular soy sauce, if that's all you have)

1 firmly packed teaspoon brown sugar (a rounded teaspoon, if using regular soy sauce)

1 baguette or ficelle (a small diameter French bread), about 20 inches long, sliced about 1/2-inch thick (if the bread has a large diameter, cut the slices in half, just a bit bigger than the meatballs)
    In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients, except bread. With your hands, mix and knead thoroughly until the meat is a fine paste.

Make balls the size of smallish walnuts.

Place baguette slices on a baking sheet and place one meatball on each.

Bake for 7 to 9 minutes in a preheated 450-degree oven until done to taste. Serve hot.

• susie_que
    16 years ago

Bacon wrapped breadaticks are a fave and fun to make!!

Game nite is a great idea and easy on the budget too!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• pat_t
    16 years ago

More for ya:

BACON AND GREEN CHILE ROLL-UPS

8 slices bacon
    1 (9-oz.) container (1 cup) bean dip
    4 oz. cream cheese, softened
    6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
    1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1 (4.5-oz.) can chopped green chiles

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside.

In medium bowl, combine bean dip and cream cheese; mix well. Spread each tortilla with bean dip mixture. Sprinkle each with bell pepper, green chiles and bacon. Roll up each tortilla. Wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.

To serve, cut each roll into 8 pieces. If desired, secure each piece with toothpick. Makes: 48 snacks; 24 servings.

Recipe courtesy of Pillsbury.

Don't remember where this one came from, but it is yummers!

BAKED PIMENTO CHEESE SPREAD

You can serve this with crackers, carrots, celery, or anything else you can think of.

1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
    4 oz. jar diced drained pimientos
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. finely grated onion
    1/4 tsp. red pepper
    8 oz. block of extra sharp cheese, grated
    8 oz. block of sharp cheese, grated

Mix together, spoon into greased 1-1/2 qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes at 350° F.

BBQ KIELBASA BITES

1 ring Kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup orange marmalade

Combine sauce ingredients & pour over cut slices of meat in casserole dish. Bake at 350° F. for 20 minutes.

BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 lbs.)
    1 (12 oz.) bottle Frank's Hot Sauce
    2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese
    1 (16 oz.) bottle blue cheese salad dressing (or Ranch if you prefer)
    8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack or a combination

Boil chicken until cooked through, shred with 2 forks.
    Preheat oven to 350° F. In a 13- x9-inch pan, combine chicken with hot sauce and spread evenly.
    In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream cheese and dressing, stirring until smooth and hot. Pour evenly over chicken. Bake uncovered for 20 min., then sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Frito scoops, Ritz crackers, and celery sticks.

Posted by GlendaAl at the ths.com Recipe Exchange.

HERBED CHEESE-AND-CRACKER BITS

2 (10-1/2 oz.) boxes Ritz Bits cheese crackers (not peanut butter flavor)
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 (1 oz.) pkg. Hidden Valley Original Ranch salad dressing mix
    1 heaping Tblsp. dried dill
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. celery salt

Place the crackers in a large sealable freezer container. In a bowl, mix the oil, salad dressing mix, dill, garlic powder, and celery salt. Pour this mixture over the crackers, cover the container, and invert it to coat the crackers with seasoning. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, turning the container every so often to keep the crackers coated. Let the mixture come to room temperature before serving. Store in the covered container in refrigerator.

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen.

OLD BAY SHRIMP DIP
    2 cans shrimp, drained
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup sour cream
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
    Parsley

In a bowl combine sour cream and cream cheese; add seasoning. Add chopped scallions and green pepper. Lastly, fold in shrimp.

Mold into a ball and chill. Roll in parsley. Serve with assorted crackers.

Recipe courtesy of Clabber Girl.

SAUSAGE CALZONE BITES

2 oz. Bulk Sweet Italian sausage
    1/3 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
    1/4 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese
    1/2 of an 8 oz. jar pizza sauce (about 1/2 cup)
    1/2 tsp. Dried Italian seasoning, crushed
    1 (10 oz.) pkg. Refrigerated pizza dough
    2 tsp. Milk
    2 Tblsp. Finely shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese

Preheat oven to 350° F. In a medium skillet cook sausage and green pepper until sausage is no longer pink; drain off fat. Stir in the provolone cheese, half of the pizza sauce, and the Italian seasoning. Unroll the pizza dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll or stretch the dough to a 12-inch square. Cut into sixteen 3-inch squares.
    Spoon a rounded teaspoonful of sausage mixture onto half of each square. Moisten edges of dough with water and fold over, forming a rectangle. Pinch or press with a fork to seal edges. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Prick tops of calzones with a fork; brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Warm remaining pizza sauce to serve with calzones for dipping. Makes 16 mini calzones.

SLOW COOKER FIRECRACKER MIX

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    4 Tblsp. margarine or butter, melted
    2 Tblsp. brown sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 to 1 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne), optional
    8 cups popped corn
    4 cups corn cereal squares
    3 cups pretzel sticks

Mix together Worcestershire, margarine, brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper (if using).
    Place popped corn, corn cereal squares and pretzel sticks in 6-quart slow cooker. Pour Worcestershire sauce, softened margarine, brown sugar, salt and cayenne mixture over all and mix thoroughly.
    Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours. Remove lid for 1 more hour.
    Pour mixture onto wax paper and allow to cool. Store in storage bags or containers. The mix may be made up to one week in advance. Makes 12 to 15 (1-cup) servings.

From Good Housekeeping Best Recipes 1999.
    Recipe directions and proportions adapted by Julie Kay - From The Baton Rouge Advocate Newspaper 6/29/00.

SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS

Meatballs:
    2 lbs. ground sirloin
    1 can french-fried onion rings
    1 egg

Sauce:
    1 jar chili sauce
    1 jar water (in bottle for chili sauce)
    1 can whole cranberry sauce
    1 can sauerkraut, drained (don't be deterred by this)
    1 cup light brown sugar

Mix meat ingredients and form meatballs. Put all sauce ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour over the meatballs; bake at 350° F. covered for one hour; uncover and bake an additional half hour. Truly, these are wonderful. And for those who like to dunk bread in the gravy, it's the best!

Posted at Mimis Cyber-Kitchen by Elinorw 09-25-98.

GLORIFIED VIDALIA ONIONS

5 to 6 medium sweet onions
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 tsp. celery seed

Finely chop or grate onions. Soak onions in the water, sugar, and vinegar for 4 hours. Drain well. Pat dry.

Mix onions with mayonnaise and celery seed. Serve with buttery crackers.

Recipe courtesy of Ms. Betty Lees of Savannah, GA.

One of my personal favorites:

SPICED SWEET ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS

1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained
    1 (4 oz.) jar roasted red peppers (or homemade)
    3 Tblsp. lemon juice
    1-1/2 Tblsp. tahini
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper *(I used 1/4 tsp.)
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 Tblsp. chopped fresh parsley

Blend all ingredients except parsley in electric blender. Process until fairly smooth. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Sprinkle with parsley before serving. Serve with pita bread cut into strips or triangles.

Posted by SharonCb at the ths.com Cooking Forum.

SPICY CRAB DIP

1 bunch of green onions chopped, including all of green part
    1 to 1-1/2 tsp. cumin
    8 to 10 oz. crabmeat (canned or fresh)
    1 can of chopped green chilies
    2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (or Monterey Jack)

Sauté the onions, chilies and cumin in a very small amount of olive oil. Add the crab. Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add to the crab mixture. Mix continuously until cream cheese is melted. Pour into a 1-quart casserole and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in a 350° F. oven until lightly brown and bubbly. Serve with Tortilla chips. Make a lot it goes fast!

Posted by Barbara Talbott at wwrecipes.com 2/21/01.

SPINACH ONION AND BACON DIP

1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
    1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed dry
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    3 (8 oz. each) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
    1 (5 oz.) pkg. shredded Parmesan cheese
    1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    Corn chips, Wheat Thins, or Triscuits

Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine all ingredients except chips/crackers in a medium bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish. Bake 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve with chips and/or crackers. Serves 12-15.

Dip may be made ahead up to 2 days ahead of time, covered, and refrigerated. Let stand 20 minutes before baking as directed.

Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen.

BANDITO CHICKEN WINGS

12 whole chicken wings (about 2 lbs.)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter, divided
    2 Tblsp. vegetable oil
    1/2 cup taco sauce
    1/4 cup barbecue sauce
    1/4 cup French salad dressing
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce

Cut chicken wings into three sections; discard wing tips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a skillet over medium heat, combine 2 Tblsp. butter and oil. Fry chicken until brown, about 6-8 minutes on each side. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
    In a saucepan, combine taco sauce, barbecue sauce, French dressing, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and remaining butter; cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sauce is blended. Pour 1/2 cup over the chicken wings.
    Bake, uncovered, at 300° F. for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve with the remaining sauce. Yield: 8-10 servings.

Recipe courtesy of Gloria Jarrett of Loveland, Ohio.

• lindac
    16 years ago

If you're talking "economical" get a whole 5 pound chunk of that "deli ham" think it's ham cuts re pressed together, sliced and served up in the deli aisle.
    When I am doing funeral lunches that's one of the things I think of. My store will slice the whole thing for free....and I can package and freeze what I am not using immediatly. The whole 5 pound thing costs about $6 to $8 depending on where you buy it and when.
    You can make sandwiches....yoiu can make it into ham salad...you can use it in roll ups you can put it into the bottom of an oven safe dish, add frozen veggies ( I like California blend) thawed in the micro and bagged shredded cheese...drizzle a little w'shire over the veggies, add beaten eggs to fill the pan...sprinkle with a bit of parm cheese and bake at 350 until puffy browned and only juggles a little at the middle.
    Make biscuits according to the directions on the bisquick box ( or use pop biscuits) cut into inch pieces, dip in melted butter and grated parm cheese and pile into a pie plate and bake at 400 until browned.
    We're thinking cheap here? Buy a pound of pinto beans...soak over night or all day replace water and add water to cover and some onion powder a bit of garlic powder and cook about an hour until soft and able to be mashed. Add salt and black pepper to taste and serve with corn chips....or roll into flour tortillas you have bought and serve with green salsa dipping sauce.
    Just a few cheap and easy thoughts.
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

How about a 50's night?

Pigs in Blankets
    French Onion Dip with Chips
    Cheese Fondue
    Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
    Toothpicks of cubed ham, cheese, pineapple, olive, pickle chunk
    Popcorn and/or Cracker Jacks

I loved the scenes in Mermaid when Cher's character only knew how to cook appetizers!

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Sloppy Joe Meatballs

1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
    1 tablespoon cooking oil
    1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    Dash bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)

Directions
    1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Combine egg, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of the onion, and the oregano in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground beef and mix well. Shape into 42 meatballs about 3/4-inch in diameter. Arrange in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain well.
    2. Meanwhile, cook remaining 1/4 cup onion and the sweet pepper in hot oil in a large saucepan until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, black pepper, garlic salt, and if desired, hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes 21 servings.
    Make-Ahead Tip: Carefully place drained meatballs in sauce. Place in shallow freezer containers. Cool slightly. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. To serve, thaw meatball mixture in refrigerator overnight. Place in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until heated through (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Serve in a fondue pot, large warmed ceramic bowl, or crockery cooker. Or, to reheat in a crockery cooker, heat thawed meatballs and sauce, covered, on high heat for 2 to 2-1/2 hours

Easy Ham Pate (Jeannie L) 1 small canned ham 8oz cream cheese, softened dill weed to taste garlic salt to taste Place ham in covered roasting pan and bake at 325 degrees for about 2 hours or until ham is well done and browned. Cut cooked ham into cubes and process in food processor with remaining ingredients until of spreading consistency. Place in serving bowl and chill. Serve with assorted crackers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Nacho Cups 4 (12 inch) flour tortillas 6 oz Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded 3 roma tomatoes, diced 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped 4\-5 green onions, chopped 1 (14 0z) can black beans with cumin & spices 1/4 c salsa 6 oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray two 12 cup muffin tins with cooking spray. Cut each tortilla into 6 wedges, and push each wedge into muffin pan to form a cup. Layer approx. 1 tsp each of cheese, tomato, pepper, onions, beans, salsa and cheese in each cup. Cover loosely with foil and bake 5 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more until bubbly and cheese is golden. Makes 24 appetizers \*\*You could use any ingredients you like in these, try cooked taco meat, diced jalapenos, Mexican rice, pepper jack cheese, etc. for different flavor combinations.

Vegetable Pizza
    (Lee B)

2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls
    11oz cream cheese
    3/4c mayonnaise
    1/3 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
    1tsp dill weed
    1 tsp garlic powder
    Chopped fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cucumber,
    mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, green onions, tomatoes, etc.)
    Bacon bits (optional)
    Sunflower seeds (optional)
    1c grated cheese (cheddar, american or swiss)

Press crescent roll dough into bottom and up sides of jelly roll pan. Bake
    according to package directions. Cool. Mix together cream cheese, Mayo,
    Ranch Dressing, Dill and Garlic until smooth. Spread over cooled crust. Chop
    vegetables into small pieces and sprinkle over pizza. Top with bacon bits,
    seeds and cheese. Refrigerate for several hours, then cut into squares and
    serve.

Linda

• ritaotay
    16 years ago

I think my cholesterol went up 50 points just reading this post.... lol

Rita

• KatieC
    16 years ago

Oh goody, I need some new ideas for our Christmas party at work. These are some of my easy standbys...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fiesta Pinwheels

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 4-oz can chopped ripe olives -- drained
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 8-oz package cream cheese -- softened
    1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 4-oz can chopped green chiles
    1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
    1 envelope taco seasoning mix (or your own seasonings)
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    8 10-inch flour tortillas

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, taco seasonings, and garlic powder until smooth. Stir in olives, chilies, cheese and onions. Spread about 1/2 cup on each tortilla. Roll up jelly-roll style; wrap in plastic wrap and chill. Slice into 1" pieces. Makes about 5 dozen.

Pinwheels may be prepared ahead and frozen. Thaw in refrigerator.

Ham and Swiss Palmiers

Recipe By :Katie
    Serving Size : 28 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 sheet puff pastry
    2 tablespoons honey mustard
    4 ounces ham -- thinly sliced
    1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

On a floured surface, roll puff pastry to a 10' x 14' rectangle. Spread the mustard over puff pastry. Arrange the ham evenly over the mustard to cover all the pastry. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and Parmesan and press lightly.

Cut the rectangle in half widthwise to make two 10x7-inch pieces. Starting with long edge, roll each piece up like a jelly roll just to the middle of the dough, then repeat with the other side so that the two rolls meet in the center.

Cut the rolls into 1/2 inch slices. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheets and press lightly to flatten. Bake at 400F 10 minutes or until puffed and golden.

Speaking of pepper jellies, this always gets snarfed...It's quick to throw together, but you need a couple of hours for it to bake and cool.

Jalapeno Cheesecake

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

8 ounces cream cheese
    1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
    4 cloves garlic
    1 egg
    8 ounces jalapeno jelly

Mix first four ingredients together with half of the jelly. Pour mixture into greased 6-inch springform pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Cool before removing from pan. Heat remaining jelly and pour over top of cheesecake. Serve with tortilla chips.

Mexican Dip

Recipe By : Katie, from Kathy E, 1990
    Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 lb hamburger -- browned and drained
    1 15 oz. can refried beans
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1/4 c chopped onion
    1/4 c chopped green chiles -- or green pepper
    1 pkg taco seasoning mix
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 c sour cream
    shredded cheddar cheese

Heat everything but the sour cream and cheese to a boil. Spread on platter. Top with sour cream, then sprinkle with cheese.