SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrapots

Web page has blanks previously included

Terrapots
14 years ago

I check on a news web site and the last few days there are obvious news stories and pics obviously missing. The titles are there with long blank areas where the stories and pics are normally displayed. There are some areas that look complete. Cannot understand what happened. I had just run Malware AntiMalwarebytes, AVG and SuperAntispyware before this happened. Also on the Google search box the blinking cursor needs to be clicked on and the autocomplete no longer lists options.

I have Vista home, IE 7 which I don't recall downloading. Also as an aside, the Task Manager lists 79 processes sometimes using up 100% of CPU, varies from 7 to 100%. How do I determine what processes I really need?

Comments (34)

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think I got most of my problems solved. I couldn't sign in for email, needed to allow java, and other items. Email comes with all those ads, so will take this issue up with my ISP tomorrow. The web site displays all the pics and messages, the cursor blinks on the search box, and possible entries show up again. Still am wondering about those 79 processes, I thought that had something to do with it.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Showing the web site can help, others can then attempt to connect and see if they see the whole thing or share your experience.

Did your computer unexpectedly shut down or reboot some time prior to this starting? Have you checked the Event viewer? Click Start/Control panel/Administrative tools/Event viewer. Double click System then look in the right side of the new window

Probabaly not an issue for you here but worthy of note is the fact that some items do not cross country borders. For exampe I am originally from Britain so view the BBC quite often yet I am not allowed to view many shows on that site. Some American sites have also refused me due to copyright laws or what ever.

• Related Discussions

Personal Garden web pages

Q

Comments (8)
    A few years back, I opened an account with BlueHost.com and registered www.thekitchengardener.com I deluded myself into thinking that I could earn some ad revenue by posting gardening related content and showing ads through Google AdSense. I posted a series of long articles and had plans to host a discussion forum and even make my own movies. I maintained the site for almost a year, but never got enough hits to earn more than a few measly bucks from Google. It finally dawned on me one day that the basic problem is that the Web is up to its eyeballs in content. Youtube was just taking off at the time, piling massive amounts of video on top of all the other content already available. In order to stand out, you've got to do something really unique, or work like heck to develop your own mountain of content. All's well that ends well though. I registered another domain with BlueHost to start selling custom kitchen knife blocks (woodworking is my OTHER favorite hobby besides gardening!), which so far has been far more lucrative than selling ads on a gardening site. A few months ago I accidentally uploaded my knife block pages to thekitchengardener.com - woops! I haven't even bothered to fix it. :-) Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage you, just sharing my personal experience. If you're looking for a hosting company, I would have no problem recommending BlueHost. They are reasonably priced ($90/year if I remember correctly), offer a lot of extra tools to run scripts, monitor usage, etc. etc. Their tech support department has been helpful on the few times I've needed to contact them. The other nice thing about going with a hosting company is that you get your own email addresses - lots of them! I think I can create like 1,000 email accounts or something crazy like that. I only use 2. :-) For software, I use FrontPage. It took some time to get used to, but I quite like it now. I try to keep my websites simple anyway, so I only use a fraction of what FrontPage can do, but I don't like tedious tasks so using an editor is much more convenient for me than coding HTML by hand. FrontPage has recently been replaced by SharePoint Designer, which I have used once or twice. From what I can see it looks pretty similar to FrontPage. Also note that if you want all the flexibility of a hosted solution but don't want to pay a hosting company, you can host it yourself. Recipe: 1) Download a VMWare virtual appliance containing Apache web server. Also download VMWare Server to run it on. Both are free. 2) Configure your cable modem/DSL router to pass port 80 traffic to your virtual webserver. 3) Register a subdomain with a dynamic DNS provider. Most of them will work with dynamic IP addresses (DHCP), and are usually free. You can alternatively see if you can get a fixed IP address from your ISP (they will probably charge extra for this) and then point your domain to that address. This is all free, but there will be a pretty steep learning curve if you're not technical. -Diggity
    ...See More

GardenWeb Profile: Please Update to Include Your City

Q

Comments (39)
    Luther, as discovered by Tom somewhere in the posts above, only 20 characters are displayed. In yours, the number "9" is the 20th character, so the "b" is truncated and not displayed. You could abbreviate "zone" to the letter "z" like I did in mine in order to get your zone 9b to properly display. Carol
    ...See More

Web page HTML help needed please.

Q

Comments (6)
    I think your issue is with Gardenweb. All sites but 2 are on this forum. Try the other 2 - Postini and Nation States and it appears to do the job as it is intended. Clicking a gardenweb link as you say creates a full page view but using the back button it refuses to return, instead it goes to a different page here on gardenweb
    ...See More

Putting image on web page - I need help please!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Is this a webpage that is on your hard drive? Or is it a webpage space provided by a host on a remote computer(remote means a different computer than yours). If the webpage is on your hard drive, i would make a folder under "C" and call it html. Then in the folder put your html document and all related files including pictures. When you open your browser and click file/open and browse to the html folder and click the html document you will see the webpage. The coding should look like this on your webpage if every file related to the page is in html folder. (img src="8loopy.jpg") It is not good to use any caps in file names or extensions with html files. Many webspace hosts do not allow CAPS. Some Unix host puters wont even read caps in file extensions so the picture doesnt show on your webpage. All you get is a blank space with a red X in the corner. If this html file is on a server then you need to put the image in the same folder on the server and use the same coding on the webpage. you CANNOT call for a picture on your computer from your webpage on a host computer. Get a free FTP program and learn how to use it to transfer your files to the webpage space on the host server. JamesS
    ...See More
  • Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Ow, for your reply. Looking at my subject line, it didn't really make much sense. The web site is the Huffington Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/. It's one of my favorites that I check out so was familiar with the usual format. Later, I tried to open my email and couldn't do it, yahoo gave me instructions to allow java and what to enable. I did that and stopped enabling when it had allow ads, or something like that. Anyway, when I checked the HPost it all came up as it should. Also my blinking cursor and suggestion list was enabled. So far so good. I'm calling my ISP to try to get rid of all the junk they place on my email page. After all, I do pay for email privileges, how greedy can they be?

As you suggested, I checked on the event viewer and nothing critical was listed, 3 warnings last hour, 24 hour 2139, 7 days 10,167. Not sure what that means, no event ID, source or log listed. What was I supposed to look for on the right side?

• zep516
    14 years ago

How do I determine what processes I really need? In the Link provided below download "ListProcesses" copy and paste the list to the forum...

A very small program that simply lists the processes that Task Manager lists, including the full path name so you can see what program they are part of. You can easily copy and paste the list into a text file for before/after comparisons, when asking for computer help. You may be surprised at what is running on your computer! Some processes waste a lot of computer resources and make your computer sluggish.

Please copy the list into your next reply an we can look at all the processes running.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Download List processes here...

• zep516
    14 years ago

After the exercise above please follow these simple instructions below:

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    Â Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop.
    Â By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    Â Click on Install.
    Â It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    Â Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    Â Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    Â Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log (no attachments) into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

• owbist
    14 years ago

Sorry Terrapots, in the Event viewer on the System page you would be looking for red error messages. If none then that was a good start.

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zep, I couldn't figure out how to copy/paste the processes list. I tried the link for list processes but my security setting would not allow download. Let's see if I understand the instructions, download the program so that i can copy and paste the processes lists with path names and then post the list. Download HJT and save a file log to post here.

Ow, there were no red flags on the list, I assumed nothign really dangerous. Hopefully, I'll be OK, I'm turning off my computer until I can get on this little project tomorrow. I'm learning but oh so slowly, bear with me. Although I already did kill one computer. Thank you for your helping hand, I really appreciate your support.

• zep516
    14 years ago

That's ok take your time I will be checking in again..I will need to look at the program listprocesses forget how to copy an paste it myself, On the hijack this page you just click executable and it should download or try link below

• bob414
    14 years ago

If you maximize the list in list processes by clicking the middle icon in the upper right hand corner you will see a button 'copy list'.

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Zep, Here's the HJT log. What are these? The processes running?

I'll try Bob's tip on copying the processes list.

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OOPs, forgot to paste!

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 4:48:34 PM, on 8/27/2009
    Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18294)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP QuickTouch\HPKBDAPP.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqbam08.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgpc01.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - "02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670> - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - "06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3> - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - "3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - "602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408> - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - "761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar - "A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E> - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - "FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856> - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - "7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA> - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - "EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88> - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - "A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E> - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OnScreenDisplay] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP QuickTouch\HPKBDAPP.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\1.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] C:\Windows\system32\qttask.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WAWifiMessage] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - "08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - "08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501> - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - "2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49> - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - "2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49> - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - "58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7> - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Research - "92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263> - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - "DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522> - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: "7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5> (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - "F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1> - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4Qlb - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4Qlb.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: QuickPlay Background Capture Service (QBCS) (QPCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\QPCapSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: QuickPlay Task Scheduler (QTS) (QPSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\QPSched.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
    End of file - 9592 bytes

• zep516
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Could you please do this exercise below, thanks for log I am looking at it looks good, just a few to many start up programs we will get to that...

DO THIS BELOW:

Double click the hijackthis Icon on the Desktop, Scroll down to Open the Misc Tools section" Click it at the bottom under System tools click "Open Uninstall Manager" over to the right click "Save List" Save it to your Desktop so you may find it, copy and paste it in your next reply..

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tried to save THE LIST, said there wasn't one, did I want to create one? said no and exited. Tried it again and this time the uninstall list was highlighted in the list and I tried to save it but said did I want to replace it. I guess I screwed it up, whatever it was. And didn't find it on desktop as I didn't save anything, I think. So sorry.

• zep516
    14 years ago

No you don't create one, that list I'm after is the list of all the programs installed on the computer it's actually a list of the add/remove programs I wanted to see how many old java versions are there it should work if you still have trouble don't worry but I'd like you to uninstall all java versions from the add/remove programs list then we can install the newest version. I also have the hijackthis finished and there is some work to do there we will remove some entries I will post that a little later.

• zep516
    14 years ago

I guess you could try to create one an see what happens I have never seen hijackthis ask that question but it's possible.

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I saved the list. I made sure the top entry was highlighted, really didn't know whether that was crucial or not but the first time I didn't check to see what was highlighted, the second time the top was highlighted and when I tried to save it it asked if I wanted to replace it. This time, a name down in the middle was highlighted and I moved the highlight to the first one. I was able to save it, I said the desktop but it saved it to notepad. Didn't ask me if I wanted to replace an existing list, or that there was no list. I highlighed desktop as to where to save it but it saved to notepad. Anyway, here is the list I saved.

32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer
    Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office suites
    ActiveCheck component for HP Active Support Library
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Reader 8.1.3
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    AIM 6
    Atheros Driver Installation Program
    AVG Free 8.5
    Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
    Conexant HD Audio
    Coupon Printer for Windows
    CyberLink YouCam
    DVD Suite
    EA Link
    Encyclopædia Britannica Complete Home Library
    ESET Online Scanner v3
    Hauppauge MCE XP/Vista Software Encoder (2.0.25149)
    HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
    HP Active Support Library
    HP Customer Experience Enhancements
    HP Customer Participation Program 10.0
    HP Doc Viewer
    HP Easy Setup - Frontend
    HP Help and Support
    HP Imaging Device Functions 10.0
    HP Officejet J6400 Series
    HP Photosmart Essential 2.5
    HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.30 E1
    HP QuickPlay 3.6
    HP QuickTouch 1.00 C4
    HP Smart Web Printing
    HP Solution Center 10.0
    HP Total Care Advisor
    HP Update
    HP User Guides 0088
    HP Wireless Assistant
    HPAsset component for HP Active Support Library
    HPNetworkAssistant
    Java(TM) 6 Update 2
    LabelPrint
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    Microsoft Office 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
    Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proofing Tools 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Works
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB941833)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
    muvee autoProducer 6.1
    My HP Games
    NetWaiting
    NVIDIA Drivers
    OCR Software by I.R.I.S. 10.0
    Power2Go
    PowerDirector
    QuickPlay SlingPlayer 0.4.6
    QuickTime
    RICOH R5C83x/84x Flash Media Controller Driver Ver.3.51.01
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969559)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969679)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB969682)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB957789)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB969613)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB969604)
    Shop for HP Supplies
    Slingbox Flash Tour
    SlingPlayer
    Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 8
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
    Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    The Sims Life Stories
    Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2007 Help for Common Features (KB963673)
    Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Help (KB963678)
    Update for Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 Help (KB963670)
    Update for Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2007 Help (KB963669)
    Update for Microsoft Office Script Editor Help (KB963671)
    Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 Help (KB963665)
    Viewpoint Media Player
    WeatherBug Gadget
    Yahoo! Toolbar

• zep516
    14 years ago

Your Java is out of date (Java(TM) 6 Update 2) could you update it from the link below download the latest version from the link click download on that page and install Java.

Should be 6 Update 15!

• zep516
    14 years ago

I suggest you remove this program (View point Media player), here are instructions below:
    How to Remove Viewpoint Media Player,
    1) Right-click on the clock in your taskbar and choose Task Manager
    2) Click on the Processes tab and search for VIEWMGR.EXE, if its found, click on it and then click End Task to close it
    3) Click on Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs
    4) Uninstall
    Viewpoint Media Player

1. Close the Add/Remove Programs and Control Panel
      6) Restart your computer

Warning: If you install AOL © Instant Messenger, Adobe Atmosphere plugin, or another program that requires Viewpoint, it will download and install again.

Source of information from here http://www.pchell.com/support/viewpoint.shtml

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Should I uninstall older versions of jaVA first? I downloaded but haven't installed yet. There was a download for uninstalling older versions.

I don't use AOL Instant Messenger or anything that requires Viewpoint so far as I know. My activities are fairly primitive, LOL. I'll remove those programs your recommended.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Yes you can uninstall old java first, then install new one let me know how that goes.. Then we will work with some hijackthis entries...

• zep516
    14 years ago

"There was a download for uninstalling older versions."

I have a program that does that, so yes try that out it will remove all old Java and left over java files

• zep516
    14 years ago

In the link below is a program called ATF Cleaner, please go to the link on that page in RED see ATF CLEANER click on it and Please download it then when it opens place a check in "Select All" and remove selected.

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do I want to let Java install the bing toolbar from MS? Also, java site says I can keep the old version in case some things might still need it. So I'll leave it for now.Haven't downloaded ATF yet but will soon.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Don't let Java install anything except Java. Let me know when you run ATF, Then back to hijackthis we will remove some entries using hijackthis I will provide those instructions....

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Java done, ATF done as instructed.

• zep516
    14 years ago

Take your time here with these instructions,

Please close all browser windows including this one only have hijackthis open you may need to print these instructions out or view them on another computer.

Double click the hijackthis icon on the desk top DO A SYSTEM SCAN ONLY! Once the scan is open place a check mark in each entry listed below in the small box to the left of it.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =

O2 - BHO: NCO 2.0 IE BHO - "602ADB0E-4AFF-4217-8AA1-95DAC4DFA408> - (no file)

O2 - BHO: AVG Security Toolbar - "A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E> - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - "7FEBEFE3-6B19-4349-98D2-FFB09D4B49CA> - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: AVG Security Toolbar - "A057A204-BACC-4D26-9990-79A187E2698E> - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\AVGTOO~1.DLL (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OnScreenDisplay] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP QuickTouch\HPKBDAPP.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UCam_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\YouCam" update "Software\CyberLink\YouCam\1.0"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpqSRMon] C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSRMon.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] C:\Windows\system32\qttask.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe autoRun

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')

O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE

O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    Now with only hijackthis open,

Click fixed checked, close hijackthis and reboot your computer.

Post a new log please

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did as you instructed. Here is the list from HFT, or did you mean the processes log? One other note, When I tried to print out your list of files to delete, I could not block and print, it only printed the top and bottom line, we site ID. I had this problem before and was resolved after I downloaded an update on AVG, at least I think that's what fixed it.

Thank you for all your help. Looks like puter booted up real fast this time.

32 Bit HP CIO Components Installer
    Activation Assistant for the 2007 Microsoft Office suites
    ActiveCheck component for HP Active Support Library
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Reader 8.1.3
    Adobe Shockwave Player
    AIM 6
    Atheros Driver Installation Program
    AVG Free 8.5
    Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system
    Conexant HD Audio
    Coupon Printer for Windows
    CyberLink YouCam
    DVD Suite
    EA Link
    Encyclopædia Britannica Complete Home Library
    ESET Online Scanner v3
    Hauppauge MCE XP/Vista Software Encoder (2.0.25149)
    HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    HijackThis 2.0.2
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB953595)
    Hotfix for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB958484)
    HP Active Support Library
    HP Customer Experience Enhancements
    HP Customer Participation Program 10.0
    HP Doc Viewer
    HP Easy Setup - Frontend
    HP Help and Support
    HP Imaging Device Functions 10.0
    HP Officejet J6400 Series
    HP Photosmart Essential 2.5
    HP Quick Launch Buttons 6.30 E1
    HP QuickPlay 3.6
    HP QuickTouch 1.00 C4
    HP Smart Web Printing
    HP Solution Center 10.0
    HP Total Care Advisor
    HP Update
    HP User Guides 0088
    HP Wireless Assistant
    HPAsset component for HP Active Support Library
    HPNetworkAssistant
    Java(TM) 6 Update 15
    Java(TM) 6 Update 2
    LabelPrint
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 (English)
    Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2007
    Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2007
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Works
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB941833)
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430)
    muvee autoProducer 6.1
    My HP Games
    NetWaiting
    NVIDIA Drivers
    OCR Software by I.R.I.S. 10.0
    Power2Go
    PowerDirector
    QuickPlay SlingPlayer 0.4.6
    QuickTime
    RICOH R5C83x/84x Flash Media Controller Driver Ver.3.51.01
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969559)
    Security Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969679)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB969682)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB957789)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office system 2007 (KB969613)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB969604)
    Shop for HP Supplies
    Slingbox Flash Tour
    SlingPlayer
    Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 8
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
    Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
    The Sims Life Stories
    Update for 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB967642)
    Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2007 Help for Common Features (KB963673)
    Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 Help (KB963678)
    Update for Microsoft Office OneNote 2007 Help (KB963670)
    Update for Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2007 Help (KB963669)
    Update for Microsoft Office Script Editor Help (KB963671)
    Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 Help (KB963665)
    WeatherBug Gadget
    Yahoo! Toolbar

• zep516
    14 years ago

Thanks but I need the the processes log,

Double click hijackthis do a system scan and save a log file post that log.

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, here's that log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 4:55:30 PM, on 8/29/2009
    Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18294)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEUser.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - (02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - (06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3) - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - (3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - (DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9) - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - (FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856) - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - (EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WAWifiMessage] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG8_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - (2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
    O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - (58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7) - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: Research - (92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263) - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - (DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522) - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
    O13 - Gopher Prefix:
    O16 - DPF: (7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5) (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - (F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1) - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgpp.dll
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: avgrsstx.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 E-mail Scanner (avg8emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free8 WatchDog (avg8wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Com4Qlb - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4Qlb.exe
    O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\HP Games\My HP Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
    O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
    O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1150\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: QuickPlay Background Capture Service (QBCS) (QPCapSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\QPCapSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: QuickPlay Task Scheduler (QTS) (QPSched) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\Kernel\TV\QPSched.exe
    O23 - Service: Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) (RichVideo) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\RichVideo.exe
    O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
    End of file - 6727 bytes

I get a warning on HJT that the publisher is unknown. Also, the version I have requires me to run it as administrator as I have Vista.

• zep516
    14 years ago

That's Vista and it's ok the log looks better, congratulations.

I think we have everything should be running better!

If you want when you have time do a disk clean up and a defrag instructions below:

Click Start, click all programs in the list look for Accessories click it then look for SYSTEM TOOLS click it look for Disk clean up click it and run it, then do a defag that may take a while if you have not done one..

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, Zep. Now I'm trying to find out how I got my print selection button to work right. You're very patient, and obviously devote a lot of time helping people like me. Really appreciae it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

you should be starting up a lot faster now since zep helped you whittle down that start up list.

you always want to pay very very close attention when doing any install or any updates to programs such as that java, they try to get you to install other stuff that is totally not needed and often not good, the toolbars are a perfect example you had several there. Some try to get you to install other programs such as carbonite or open office, nothing wrong with those programs but you should not be seeing that kind of thing shoved at you when you are just trying to do some updates.
    So you did good when you noticed them trying to push off that bing on you. Keep up the good work.

a great tool to keep handy and check your system with to make sure all your stuff is updated as it should be is the secunia tool, you can run it from the website or install a version on your computer.
    Secunia Online Software Inspector

• zep516
    14 years ago

One other note Vista is currently running at Service pack 2 if you review your log you will see in the header you are running service pack1 see link for additional information on Service Pack 2...

Don't forget to empty your recycle bin....

• Terrapots
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thankk you for all your help and tips. I thought all my MS updates were up to date, at least the critical and important. Surprised they recommend backup before installing SP2 so will do that before going to SP2. And, computer forum came up real fast this morning, whew, how nice.