SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Famous Movie Misquotes

triciae
12 years ago

Gee whiz, I've had every one of these wrong...

'The Wizard of Oz' (1939) -- Misquote

The most beloved family film, The Wizard of Oz (1939) has had problems with one of its most famous lines spoken by Judy Garland (as Dorothy Gale) to her dog. It's generally misquoted as: "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" or "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto." (The second misquote was heard in "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.")

-- Actual Quote

"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."

'Casablanca' (1942) -- Misquote

"Play it again, Sam" - was a line never spoken by Ingrid Bergman or Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca (1942) to Sam (Dooley Wilson), the nightclub pianist and reluctant performer of the sentimental song "As Time Goes By."

-- Actual Quote

The closest Bogart came to the phrase was this: "You played it for her, you can play it for me...If she can stand it, I can. Play it!" (The misquote was also heard in "A Night in Casablanca," "Moonraker," "Cut Off," and "I Want Candy.")

'The Graduate' (1967) -- Misquote

In "The Graduate," Benjamin (Dustin Hoffman) did NOT ask either of these two questions: "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" or "Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs. Robinson?"

-- Actual Quote

Benjamin made a statement and then asked a question of the Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) character: "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" (The misquote was heard in "The Ladies Man.")

'Dirty Harry' (1971) -- Misquote

Vigilante cop "Dirty" Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) never said: "Do you feel lucky, punk?" while holding his giant-sized .44 Magnum at a downed bank robber in the opening of "Dirty Harry."

-- Actual Quote

He did say, however: "I know what you're thinkin'. 'Did he fire six shots or only five?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?" (The misquote was heard in "Short Circuit 2," "Scary Movie 2," and "Showtime.")

'Star Wars' (1977) -- Misquote

In "Star Wars," Obi Wan Kenobi (Sir Alec Guinness) NEVER said verbatim: "May the Force be with you."

-- Actual Quote

He did say at least a few other variants: "The Force will be with you...always," "Luke, the Force will be with you," "Use the Force, Luke. Let go, Luke. Luke, trust me" and "Remember, the Force will be with you always."

'Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back' (1980) - Misquote

The startling revelation of fatherhood by Darth Vader (David Prowse, voice of James Earl Jones) to young Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) in "Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back" was not: "Luke, I am your father."

- - Actual Quote

It was in fact, "No. I am your father." However, the trilogy's most famous line was never actually delivered by Vader - on the set, he really said: "Obi-Wan killed your father," but the line was secretly re-dubbed later. Luke responds in horror: "No! No! That's not true. That's impossible."

'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' (1979) -- Misquote

The multi-part sci-fi "Star Trek" TV and film series (first telecast as a one-hour TV show in 1966 and lasting until 1969 before syndication, and inspiring numerous feature films, beginning with "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"), popularized the common phrase, "Beam me up, Scotty." Contrary to popular belief, Captain Kirk (William Shatner) never uttered the line: "Beam me up, Scotty".

-- Actual Quote

The actual command, "Kirk to Enterprise. Beam us up, Scotty." was voiced by Captain Kirk (voice of William Shatner) in Gene Roddenberry's "Star Trek" animated TV series from 1973-75. The closest Kirk ever got to saying the exact line was "Scotty, beam me up!" in "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home," as he was transported onto the stolen Klingon Bird of Prey vessel parked in the late 20th century in Golden Gate Park. (The misquote was heard in Night of the Comet," "For Queen & Country," and in "Armageddon" - when Rockhound (Steve Buscemi) said: "While I don't share his enthusiasm, you know me, beam me up Scotty.")

'Field of Dreams' (1989) -- Misquote

"If you build it, they will come" was NOT what the voice said in "Field of Dreams."

-- Actual Quote

Instead, it was: "If you build it, he will come." (The misquote was heard in "How High," "My First Mister," "Eight Legged Freaks," and other films.)

'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' (1937) -- Misquote

"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" - is actually an incorrect quote.

-- Actual Quote

In Disney's animated film "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," the wicked Queen asked: "Magic Mirror on the Wall, who is the Fairest one of all?" (The misquote was heard in "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark," "101 Dalmatian," "54," and other films.)

'Apollo 13' (1995) -- Misquote

In the film "Apollo 13," astronaut Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks) told Mission Control: "Houston, we have a problem."

--Actual Quote

The actual message from Apollo 13 was first delivered by astronaut Jack Swigert who said: "OK, Houston, we've had a problem here." Astronaut Lovell then repeated: "... Ah, Houston, we've had a problem." The line has often been misquoted as: "Houston, we've got a problem." Some of the film's posters emphasized and reinforced the misquote, since they were printed with: "Houston, we have a problem."

/tricia

Comments (3)