SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Have you ever been obsessed by a famous historical figure?

Oakley
7 years ago

If you've ever been obsessed over a famous historical figure, I'd love to hear about it.

I mostly read biographies and historical fiction, usually on English and French royals, (NOT current royals!), going back to the year 1100. Which leads me to read about people who aren't royal but play a big role in their live's.

While looking for a book I stumbled on one about Empress Elisabeth (Sisi) of Austria, and Queen of Bavaria.

At 15, Sisi went with her sister (Nene?) who was betrothed to Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria who was a Hapsburg. Franz and the girl's mothers were sisters. But that's how they did it back then.

Franz met the sisters at the same time and wanted Sisi, not Nene. They married when Sisi was 16. And the rest is history. I'd never heard of any of them until a couple of weeks ago, and I should be getting my 3rd book on Sisi today. :) Most books on her are in other languages.

There are hundreds of websites about Sisi, who some call the Princess Diana of her time. What a life she lived. Loved and hated at the same time. Called the most beautiful woman in the world, which I don't see.

Her first cousin was Ludwig, (Mad) King of Bavaria, who built Neuschwanstein Castle.

I've spent hours and hours reading about every single person associated with Sisi, including where she lived, on GoogleEarth. There are Sisi tours in Bavaria and Austria, that's how popular she was.

When I read about her on Wikipedia, I was literally shocked at how she died.

Elisabeth of Austria

Her hair was almost as famous as she was.

Comments (43)

• dedtired
    7 years ago

Now you have me thinking. I was very interested in The Other Boleyn Girl when I read the book, but my interests seem to wax and wane according to whats in the news or on television. I've been reading a lot about Queen Victoria because of the PBS series. I can see why you might be interested in Elisabeth. What a story!

• User
    7 years ago

I've long been obsessed with Jack the Ripper. I know, I know - could I be any more morbid? -- but I also know I'm not alone in my fascination with this very dark historical figure. I've done a lot of reading on ol' Jack in the past, but had to put it aside when it started to keep me awake in the night, as I would lie there envisioning the horrific crime scene photos and vivid descriptions of the horror he'd inflicted.

I also find Henry VIII and his entourage of wives and mistresses fascinating. I recently enjoyed the BBC documentary about the wives, hosted by Dr. Lucy Worsley. She really has a way of making history come to life.

• Related Discussions

Have you ever relocated a black widow?

Q

Comments (44)
    O/T, but speaking of relocating wildlife: I went out back one day and my Beagle was barking at something on the ground. I walked over and nearly stepped right on a coiled up Rattlesnake. I backed away slowly and called animal control. A guy came out and was able to pick her up and take her to his truck. I turned my back for a second to shut the gate and heard a gunshot! He killed her in my front yard! I was so upset and asked him why?! He said our town policy is they relocate any snake except Rattlers. I was near tears, I never kill snakes. He claimed that Rattlers tend to go back to where they were found and that she was most likely laying eggs under our deck — and in her kind of woozy state, is why she didn’t strike at me. Well, he was right about the egg part. I had baby Rattlers come out from under the deck a couple of weeks later.
    ...See More

Have you been told, 'If you have to ask...

Q

Comments (44)
    I'm wondering if he just used a very unfortunate choice of words to express the idea that it takes him time to do an estimate and that's a loss if you're a casual inquirer. Is the same as the "qualifying" process idea, but any craftsman, designer or similar person just has to have some kind of sequence of involvement that they can rely on that saves them time but still attracts new customers. I don't know how this works, of course, since the problem is, with many such efforts, you can't come up with an accurate estimate unless you know most of what you're being asked to do, so if it takes you 30 min, even, to figure that out, and you do that several times daily, and the return is low, you're broke. If someone is well-established in a fairly high end business, he might well charge a fee just to talk and see your wish list and give an estimate, and then that cost will be applied if you buy. For cabinetry, I would wonder if the person could have any kind of brochure or book of work with some example prices, even if price range was kinda broad and there were multiple disclaimers about "prices subject to change". I mean, you might be trying to figure out whether a custom built-in hutch costs $3k or $30 k, or whatever. My point is just that, it would be more straightforward to be told it'll cost me to sit down with the guy and get an estimate, since that is just the business of how he values his time, and that would not be offensive, as I can then make my decision about whether I value it the same amount, and includes the sensible idea that people agree on fees before doing any level of business, compared to the "if you have to ask" approach.
    ...See More

Recommendations for Bios or Fiction about historical figures

Q

Comments (34)
    Cindy, I saw the new film on Queen Eliz. I and actually liked it, in its way. (I commented on it over on the Cinema Forum here). POSSIBLE SPOILERS: As I wrote, I liked the historical presence of Bess Throckmorton and Walter Raleigh, as well as Dr. John Dee, astrologer and advisor to Eliz. I found the scene with the huge Spanish Armada approaching the tiny island of Britain awesome. In general, I thought the film captured accurately the paranoia of the times, and the secretive court intrigues, layer upon layer of subterfuge. The scene with Eliz. ralleying her countrymen upon horseback in armour I found quite moving. Why did you not like it as well as the first film???
    ...See More

I have been obsessed over this room I found on houzz....the rug??

Q

Comments (20)
    I am already there, BF! I have several Navajo rugs hung on the walls in various rooms through the house. I used to tell people that I had a rug fetish, but that sounded kinda creepy... but I DO! I just have a great big affinity for woven pieces that go on the floor and can seriously obsess over them. I know I'm in good company in that regard, though!
    ...See More
  • msmeow
    7 years ago

I think she's beautiful!

Since high school I've been a bit obsessed with Mozart. I think it began when I learned that he had written a clarinet concerto! Of course I quickly learned that many, many composers wrote for the clarinet - but he must have been the first I was aware of.

I enjoy reading fiction set in England and Europe in the 1200s - 1500s. There must be something about that time period that interests me, but I can't put my finger on anything specific.

Donna

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I don't know that I would say I am obsessed but I have a thing for Albert Einstein. When I was in college, a friend of mine was a drama major (I was a bio/psych major) became obsessed with KAE pranks (Kill Albert Einstein). She stole some of my books and posters.. left ransom notes and messages on my mirrors with lipstick, hung an effigy and made a tape that was nothing but "Kill Albert Einstein" in different voices. Yeah, it was college. :)

• cawaps
    7 years ago

Not obsessed, but I love that the internet allows me to indulge my curiosity when something, or someone, catches my interest. I have a friend with a Habsburg jaw, and that led to reading about the Habsburg dynasty, its inbreeding, and in particular Charles II of Spain, who was apparently quite physically, mentally, and emotionally disabled.

I'm fascinated with James Buchanan, who may have been our first gay president. Most of what I've read suggests he was a pretty bad president, but the information about his personal life is fascinating.

My daughter went through a phase around first grade where she was really into biographies. We read so many. I created a timeline so that we could plot when and for how long each person lived. This person had a short and tragic life; that person lived a long and happy life. These two people lived at the same time, but in different parts of the world. Etc.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I was obsessed with the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire after reading her autobiography, "Wait for Me!". I immediately bought everything else she ever wrote. She was just a fascinating woman to me.

• bpath
    7 years ago

When we went to Austria I was amazed at Everything Sisi! She is as ubiquitous as Mozart in the shops, and even more so in literature, so many books about her.

Wait for Me was an interesting memoir.

I don't obsess over historical figures, but I do get sucked in to Wikipedia by little things. After listening to Hamilton enough times I started reading about all the different women. DH and I each read about Wallis Simpson after learning she once lived in our town: he read a biography, I read her memoir, and we compared notes. It was like two different people, as you might expect.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Anglo, I have a book on the Mitford sisters in my to read pile.

Ida, I began this historical phase with Henry VIII. I have three bookshelves of him, his wive's, kings and queens born later, and going back to 1100. I have a feeling they'll be given away after I did. lol

Now I remember hearing about the Hapsburg jaw! I'll definitely read it later.

MsMeow, it was while in high school when I was an assistant to the Librarian that she turned me onto Victoria Holt. My love of all books english began then. It has to do with the architecture during that time, the beautiful abbey's, & my imagination on the scenery was so vivid. Still is. Austria had wonderful composers, some are in the Sisi books.

Ded, I found Victoria extremely boring. Same with Queen Elizabeth I. Victoria's offspring are a different matter though. I'm just a couple of episodes into the PBS series. DH loves it though!

Bpath, that is so interesting! From what I've read so far (the biography came in today!) is that the Austrians hated her quite a bit because she was constantly leaving, and the newspapers always put her down. That's why I've wondered why they love her still. The Bavarians loved her

I know Ida does, but do any of you look at places on google earth? I'm going to hop over to Corfu to check out the palace Sisi built, called Achillean. :) Sisi and Franz were loaded. lol

• LynnNM
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm not obsessed, but I've always been very interested in Rob Roy MacGregor and the MacGregor Clan of Scotland, the Children of the Mist, who I'm descended from.

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

I'm not obsessed with anyone, but when I read historical fiction with real life characters, I do love to look up factual information on the characters, even the historical events, locations, etc in books to gain a better understanding.

Oakley, I actually just read a novel about Sisi a few weeks ago. I wonder if we read the same book? Her story is very interesting and her cousin, was also intriguing so I read more about him as well. I don't know if Sisi was anything like how she was portrayed in the novel, but as written, I did not care her much at all. Hopefully she was more likeable IRL.

one of the reasons I like historical fiction is that often it introduces me to things/people/places/events I knew nothing about and had never heard of but the novel then inspires me to learn more about those things that I might never have known otherwise. I've learned a lot about other cultures that way.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

The Mitford sisters were an amazing group of siblings! I never tire reading about them and their escapades. One a Communist, two Nazi sympathizers, an author, a countrywoman that some say was a lesbian, and then Debo, the youngest, the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire. You can't make this stuff up!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

4kids, your last paragraph sums it up for me. I always keep my iPad next to me when I'm reading so I can look something up. I think I've spent more time on the Internet reading about Sisi than I have reading the books!

From everything I've read about Sisi online, it seems she did come across as unlikable. A bit self-centered. That's why I wondered why Austria loved her so much, or did they fall in love with her after her death?

I read both books by Pataki, and today received the biography, "The Lonely Empress" by Joan Haslip, which I had to buy used from Amazon. It only took 3 days to get it.

Today I read more online about Rudolf. His death may not have been a suicide afterall.

I had NO idea the Imperial court was so formal. No wonder Sisi kept running away. lol.

• chickadee2_gw
    7 years ago

Oakley, have you heard of this blog? www.the-history-girls.blogspot.com

I was doing a google search to find the name of a BBC series I watched with Alan Bates in it - Love in a Cold Climate. It was an adaptation of Nancy Mitford's books. Anyway the blog showed up in a link to the Mitfords. Looks like a good blog for you.

• 4kids4us
    7 years ago

Oakley, I also usually have my iPad nearby (if I'm not already reading my book ON it). The way the author writes about Sisi, she seemed incredibly self-centered. I did try to remember that much of how she lived was decided for her and that the expectations of her were great for such a young girl when she married. I can understand why she made some of her choices, but at the same time, she just left her older kids to the grandmother and seemed so focused on the youngest, as well as her relationship with that guy in England, that I can only imagine the older ones felt abandoned. I think she was so loved by the Hungarians b/c she remained loyal to them yet at the same time, that behavior made her hated by the Austrians b/c she had no desire to live there and serve as their Empress. She certainly did have an interesting life and it sounds like there was quite a bit of mental illness in her family. Please let me know if that biography is worth reading.

• mrrogerscardigan
    7 years ago

Back in the eighties, seeing Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical Evita prompted an intense fascination with Eva Peron. Testing the limits of friendships and familial relationships, I fanatically played and played (and played) the original Broadway cast album until the tape literally snapped in the cassette.

This went on for about a year. I'm surprised they still speak to me.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

For those of you who are interested in Empress Sissi, if you understand French:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt4jTaWJ1zc&list=PLdGtMjj8Wc_vt17KTndTUUhAmw3nezCzd

All the houses, even some of her actual clothes. But only French subtitles available, and those are those weird google-generated ones.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

Amazon carries a series of 3 films made in Germany decades ago, about Sisi (spelled Sissi). We watched them from Netflix several years ago, for DH to practice his German; they weren't bad. Starred a very young Romy Schneider (the famous German actress). They really romanticized her story. There is also the movie Mayerling, with Ava Gardner as Sisi and Omar Sharif as Prince Rudolph. I'm pretty sure that these movies don't begin to tell the story as completely as a good book! But they are beautiful to look at!

Several years ago I read Colleen McCullough's 7-volume series entitled Masters of Rome, which together tell the story of the last 60 years or so of the Roman Republic, and especially feature the life of Julius Caesar. Having studied about him in Latin class in high school I became obsessed again. For all of his usual Roman cruelty - which was terrible by our standards, but better than other "civilizations" of the time - he was one of the great geniuses of history, living a very flamboyant life.

I've also been obsessed for most of my adult life with Simone de Beauvoir, the French philosopher-novelist; have read her books and everything else I could find about her. Even though she unintentionally more or less launched modern international feminism she is not well-known today, I don't think. If there were a Simone fan club, I might join! Her book America Day By Day, about her first visit to the States, is a very fine look at our country from the outside.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Her name is mostly spelled Sisi. I did a lot of reading on it because it was spelled both ways at times. My DGD's name is Elizabeth and we've been calling her Sissy forever, and I told DS to spell it Sisi. lol. I love that spelling!

Chick, the blog looks good, thanks!

4kids, I understood how she felt when her MIL took the first 3 kids away from her after birth, and even named them. But once she had her 4th, she just gave up on the other kids altogether. And the length of time she stayed away on each trip was mind blowing to me. It's taking me longer to read the books because I stop and go to Wikipedia to look someone up, which leads to looking someone else up, etc.

There is no google earth street view in Austria! Austria banned it because the people didn't want the intrusion, which I agree, but now they've lifted the ban and still no views. 3d buildings work though, better than nothing. Bavaria has street view. Now I want to learn all I can about both countries.

Youtube has a lot on Sisi, quite interesting! I'm going to see if I can get a copy of those old movies, especially Mayerling. Love me some Omar.

LOL at the Evita tape imploding!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I have long had an interest in Frank Lloyd Wright. Not only because of an interest in American architectural history (I majored in architecture eons ago) but because of the personality of the man himself. In addition to being a creative genus well ahead of his time, he was a real character - a philanderer (multiple marriages and affairs), irascible, arrogant, charismatic, often unethical and usually dead broke. A fascinating man and life!

• tinam61
    7 years ago

No I haven't. Sisi sounds interesting though. This is why you don't have time for homemade salad dressing! LOL

• texanjana
    7 years ago

Oakley-when I was in college I did a Jan Term study on the Habsburg Empire which we spent in Austria, Prague and Budapest. It was so interesting, and now you have peaked my interest again. I am pretty sure I saw Sisi's crypt in Vienna.

• Loretta Seeker
    7 years ago

I'm just a bit obsessed (that might be a strong word for it) with Benjamin Franklin. He was very forward thinking, invented many things and wouldn't allow them to be copyrighted - instead he let anyone make/copy them. He had much to do with how our nation was set up, is said to have had a very cheerful disposition, and surprisingly was quite the lady's man (apparently he was very athletic when younger and had a good physique?? ha). He came up with lending libraries, volunteer fire departments, swim fins, the Franklin stove, and figured out ocean currents. In his studies with electricity he is the one that coined the terms charge, positive, negative, etc. I just find him fascinating. :)

• kkay_md
    7 years ago

I've long been fascinated by Shackleton, Scott, Amundsen, Mawson, and several other polar explorers. Their stories of discovery and survival are riveting. I have shelves of books, and even some collectables related to these explorers.

• deegw
    7 years ago

One of my daughters became captivated with Abraham Lincoln at a very young age. He and I share a birthday. As she got older she always seemed to find things to keep her inteterested. As a teenager, she learned about Mary Todd's mental health issues and the plot to steal his body. American history soap opera? Cool!

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

MrRogers, You are too funny.

I saw Evita on broadway when I was a kid and was similarly smitten. She was a such an interesting figure. I also liked the movie w Madonna. I went to BA for the first time last year and saw her tomb in the Recoleta.

• User
    7 years ago

oh I am loving this thread. I too have always had a thing for historical fiction and some biographies but moslty I don't remember too much. I always joke that when I read these books, it becomes familiar but I relearn the stuff like it's all new to me.

Regarding Sisi------ I had never heard of her. We went to Vienna, Prague and Budapest a few years ago and that is where I learned of her.... seeing her dress in the Hapsburg Palace with the miniscule waist was really something. When I returned, a Chinese coworker (she was born and raised in China, but has been here about 15 years) asked me if I saw stuff about Sissi. She said that growing up in China, she had watched those movies (the ones German ones mentioned above) over and over and it was the full on fairy tale. I requested that my library get the dvd's and they did. It was glorious watching it.

I have also recently read Pataki's 2 books about her which I guess is where I also learned of her cousin Ludwig.

Other than this forum, I have never come across anyone who knew of her , let alone was interested in her. Going to read some more books about her.

I have a bir of an interest in Katherine of Aragon as well, but nothing like Sisi!

• bpath
    7 years ago

I am fascinated by the Shackleton expedition, not just Ernest but the whole crew. Imagine! No polar fleece, no solar lanterns, no communication, no assurance of rescue. Just tremendous will! And after, they all joined up to fight. I'm in awe.

I'm also in awe of the pioneers who ventured west. Good golly.

• mrrogerscardigan
    7 years ago

Me too. Also, the Franklin expedition. An incredible (and tragic) story.

• sableincal
    7 years ago

For those interested in the Sisi movies from Germany, they have subtitles, so are easy to watch.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sheila, I love K of Aragon too! I've read a lot of books on her, from biographies and historical fiction. In fact, it was when Showtime's (or HBO?) series of The Tudor's came out is when my curiosity piqued about all of them. Eleven years later it led me to Sisi. I am simply obsessed about royal families and the people who played large roles in their lives.

Allison Weir is a fantastic author on Henry VIII, his queen's, and other's who were important at his court. Skip her books on Queen Elizabeth 1. Boring. lol

I can't remember the name of Sisi's hairdresser, the lady who would spend hours every day fixing her hair, I believe she was a Countess. I looked her up and her life was extremely sad. She was the go-between for Rudolf and his mistress and garnered a bad reputation where she had to flee Austria. Sisi especially blamed her for Rudolf's suicide. I think she died destitute. I'm close to the end of Patiki's second book so I'm assuming it's in the book where Sisi kicked her out after Rudolf's death.

Jana, how lucky you were! I think Emperor Franz's crypt is between Sisi's and Rudolf's. :(

Benjamin Franklin sounds like someone I'd like to read about.

I want to thank everyone here who's contributed to this topic. Because these are the type of books I read now, and have been for about 13 years, I don't post on the "What are you reading" threads because I feared I'd be laughed at. I used to read the current best sellers all the time, but I find history much more fascinating.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    7 years ago

On a trip to Budapest we toured the Opera house where the guide pointed out a very large mirror at the top of the stairs--he said it was put there so that Sisi could check her hair and clothing before going out into the royal box. When I got home I found the Pataki book and recommended it to my book club. We were all fascinated by her story.

Oakley--thanks for starting this thread!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You're welcome, Junco! I'm glad I stumbled on the books. There are two books in the Sisi series, will you all read both of them?

• User
    7 years ago

I apologize if this will really careen this thread to Sisi, but what books have you read or recommend about her? I know I read the 2 Pataki books (and I even did post at least one on some what are you reading thread) and I think I have read more but cannot recall. Anyway - have any to suggest? and yes loving this thread

who knew??:) thanks Oakley

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sheila, I don't mind talking about Sisi. I have no one else to talk to about her. :)

Other than Pataki's two books, I'm getting ready to read, "The Reluctant Empress" by Brigitte Hamman. That one is a biography and has great reviews like the previous two.

That one is out of print so I had to order the book used from Amazon and it came within 3 days and in good condition. It seems most of the books written about Sisi are now out of print. When I finish the biography which I haven't started yet, I'm going to see if there are other books about her. The copy I bought was under 10.00. It's a large paperback which is the format I like. It also has pictures.

If you google her name you will find a lot of good websites about her..

• User
    7 years ago

That;s the one I was going to read. (My library system has it and it apparently is on hold for someone else.... I think Sisi is becoming popular:).

I had actually looked at some of the books referenced by Pataki ; there is another one I think I added to my goodreads list. A Walk on Broken Glass by Gloria Allan. Have not tried to get that one yet.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

I've spent a lot of time with Louisa May Alcott. Her backstory is so fascinating - as are many people of her era - & the era itself.

Another that really captured me was Henriette Deluzy-Desportes. After seeing the Bette Davis/Charles Boyer movie, "All This And Heaven Too", I had to get the book to read (which chronicled so much more of her life) & then became interested in its author, Rachel Field, who also had a very interesting backstory, being related to Henriette through the man she ultimately married. Her introduction to that book describes how she grew up picnicking amongst the tombstones of her new England ancestors & how it inspired her to research & write about this mysterious woman.

Henriette Deluzy-Desportes

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I wanted to check in and say I will try to be back soon. Friday night DH was taken away in an ambulance due to congestive heart failure, completely unexpected. He may or may not make it, but OTOH he may be able to come home tomorrow. I'm petrified and shaking.

If you all pray, please please pray for Mr. Oakley. :)

• User
    7 years ago

omg Oakley---- so sorry and YES praying!!!!!!!!!

• frankginakay
    7 years ago

Praying for Mr. Oakley, what a scary time.

• Sandplum1
    7 years ago

Absolutely praying for him and you.

• User
    7 years ago

I just picked up The Reluctant Empress today from the library. Thinking of you Oakley- this could be a great diversion. And then we can all chat.:)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks to email notification this is the first I've been back. Thanks for showing your concern.

Sheila, I forgot libraries could have the out of print books, that's great! I started The Lonely Empress yesterday, also a biography.

Did you know that Sisi never smiled for her portraits because of her yellow teeth? Her MIL told her to whiten them somehow when she was young, and she was so self-conscious she'd practically mumble when she spoke so as not to show her teeth. lol.

According to this book, the yellow teeth come from years of inbreeding.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor