SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marknmt

New dummy question of the week-

marknmt
13 years ago

(I realize I've fallen behind on my dummy questions, but I'd rather not take your time with lame ones, so I've been saving up- I hope this one is worth the wait!)

OK, here it is. How best to take advantage of using the computer and internet as telephone, that is the question. Whether tis better to abandon land lines completely or suffer charges from different sources, or KISS and just stick with a simple contract-free tracfone and QWest, or what?

Fo' example: Best Buy is advertising Ooma Telo which (as I understand it) allows you to plug in your telephone (bet it won't know what to do with my dial phones!) and use your internet connection to make all US calls with no additional charges; For $249.99 you can ditch your wire forever.

But what about the person on the other end? Do they need to be on the same, or a similar system, or can you call any number regardless of how the other guy is set up? And if it's universal, will the 'net be able to handle the load?

And what other questions that I haven't even thought of yet? For example, why does that system cost 250 bucks when there was a free program years ago that let Windows 98 users talk with each other over their computers? This has to be a very over-priced router and simple program, I am guessing, but you'd still save money in eight months if it works.

I'm looking forward your answers, and thanks. I tell you, this 21st century stuff is keeping me up nights ...

:-0 Mark

Comments (7)