SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

I have some "thinset for dummies" questions!

phish_gw
9 years ago

Hi all. I've never used thinset and am trying to understand this from posts in this forum but I'm still confused.

First of all, what is thinset? And is it the same thing as Mortar? (not that I know what that is either!). My mosaics are usually for example, glueing tess onto a birdhouse and then grouting inbetween. From what I've been able to surmise here, thinset is when you lay it out first and then smush your tess into it? Then do you have to have a mold to keep the thinset from leaking off the top of the surface?

Can you use thinset as adhesive? I think I've seen people say on here that they use thinset as adhesive. Does this mean that I would glue my tess onto my birdhouse using thinset instead of glue? And then still grout?

Can you use thinset as sealer? I think I've seen people say on here that they use thinset as sealer? I think of sealer as the clear shiney protective liquid that I pour onto my project when I'm all done, to keep it shiny and protected and ideally safe from the elements outside. Are you saying you use thinset in this same way? (I didn't get the impression thinset was clear which is why this didn't make sense to me)

Sorry for all the dumb questions. But for all the posts I've read here on thinset, I'm still very confused!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor