SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Always have hope

lindac
12 years ago

Miracles do happen.

On Februrary 20th, I got a phone call that a friend who was vacationing in Florida had become confused, disoriented and was showing some slurring of speech and erratic behavior. her DH got her to the hospital where they determined she had not had a stroke and that night she went into a coma.

Tests showed she had viral encephalitis caused by the herpes simplex virus ( the one that causes cold sores). They dosed her with anti viral drugs, intubated her and provided support.

She was totally unresponsive for 2 weeks. Then a lung collapsed and they provided a chest tube and later that week they did a tracheostomy and inserted a g-tube to provide nourishment.

As of last Sunday there was no change....3 weeks on the vent and in a coma. And by the way she is 75....soon to be 76. I am sorry to say some were wondering when to shur off the vent.

Well, last Monday she opened her eyes and smiled, mouthed "I love you" to her DIL. Every day steady improvement. Today she was breathing on her own most of the day and even sat up for a while. She knows people and though she can't speak because of the trache, she mouths words that make sense. Seems to have good use of both arms and legs.

So....when you doubt, remember that some one makes up that 10% survival statistics.....and keep hoping and praying.

Thanks for listening....it's been a long month!

Linda C

Comments (13)