SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

AVG 8 Warnings: What They Mean; What To Do

mxyplx
15 years ago

Some seem confused about the long list of Scan Result Warnings resulting from the AVG 8 Scan. I copied the following from the AVG site. As you will see you should most probably leave them alone. At least that's how I read it. (If I'm rong I'll hear about it bigtime for sure).

I made a clean install of AVG 8 on top of XPSP3 - No sweat.

Warning

==========================================================

Infection detected in "ActiveX Compatibility" registry key

An "ActiveX Compatibility" registry key is a result of the "Immunize" function included in some anti-spyware programs (e.g.: "Spybot search & destroy", "Spyware blaster",...)

The key contains the same registry entries as the actual threats, thus preventing them from working correctly. Some anti-spyware programs use this method to prevent launching of the malware. Unfortunately, these parts are still detected by AVG Free signatures and that is why AVG marks them as infected.

To assure protection provided by AVG Free against these threats, it is not possible to remove such signatures from AVG Free virus bases. Because of this, "Immunize" function included in above mentioned softwares is NOT compatible with AVG Free products.

Comments (20)