SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trixietx

Our South America trip,,, NOT!

15 years ago

I am home. We got to Santiago at 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning, unfortunately our luggage did not. I had arranged for a transfer from the airport and a tour of Santiago Saturday afternoon. After checking into the hotel and going to Mercado Central (I loved it) I decided we might need to do a little shopping in case we didn't get our luggage and because we were ready to shower and put something on clean!

Sunday morning the airline called, the flight that our luggage was on was late and they couldn't get it to the hotel in time so said they would take it to the ship.

I had arranged a tour of Vina Del Mar and Valparaiso, then to the port. It was so pretty and enjoyed it very much.

As soon as we got to our room there was a call to go to Guest Relations and we found out that my Mother had passed away that morning.

We got off the ship and went back to the airport in Santiago. We booked at room at the hotel by the airport. We walked over to the airport and finally got a flight that left at 2:00 a.m. that morning that went to Mexico City (just doing anything we could to get back.) We finally got out of Mexico City at 4:30p.m. on Monday to Dallas/Ft. Worth. We rented a car and spent the night in Denton. Early Tuesday morning we drove to Oklahoma City (where we left from and intended to fly back to) to get our car and then the 3 hour drive home.

It has been a whirlwind. I told my brother and sister to go ahead andmake arrangements. My mother had given me some instruction as to what she wanted and I had my son go get it out of our safe.

Her service was yesterday at 2:00 P.M. and it was just perfect.

My mother was 83 yrs. old. I have taken her medicine and most meals to her twice a day since we went on the Panama Canal cruise two years ago and she ended up in the hospital because she forgot to take her medicine.

My DH said everything happens for a reason and that I could not have found my Mom. I know that is right.

Comments (27)

• 15 years ago

Oh Karen, I am so sorry for your loss. Your hubby was right that things happen for a reason. You can take solace in what a wonderful daughter you were to your mother. She is as peace Karen.

• 15 years ago

Oh my....I am so sorry.....just awful all the way around.
    Sending you some cyber chicken soup....and a glass of cyber wine.
    Linda C

• 15 years ago

What a bummer! I'm sorry to hear about your mom. You know some trips are just not meant to happen. Did you have trip insurance?

Hugs,
    E

• 15 years ago

Karen, That is so sad under normal circumstances but to have to deal with your loss and these complications shows a great deal of strength.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Cathy

• 15 years ago

Oh my...So sorry to hear of your mom's passing.

Sounds like you have it all under control. Cyber hugs to you and your family.

There will be other opportunities for South America trips. I am guessing that you had travel insurance. Good for you. Sometimes life throws you curve balls.

Linda

• 15 years ago

What a dreadful reason to have to cancel a trip. So sorry to hear the sad news about your mother. Take care of yourself.

• 15 years ago

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. We worry about this type of emergency happening whenever we go on any trip - I know I do. But our worry about what *might* happen shouldn't stop us from living our lives. Take care.
    ~Teresa

• 15 years ago

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. How stressful to get news like that when you are so far from home. My thoughts are with you.

Ann

• 15 years ago

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Know that we are all thinking of you in this sad time.

• 15 years ago

I am sending condolences to you and your family. It is always so hard to lose a loved one, but to have so much turmoil going on had to make it especially difficult.

Sending a big cyber hug to you and yours....

Alexa

• 15 years ago

My condolences to you on the loss of your DM. We never know when we might lose someone.At least you were still in port and not out to sea.

Take care..

Nancy

• 15 years ago

Sending heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother. Hugs.

Eileen

• 15 years ago

Oh, Karen, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. It had to have been so much more difficult being so far away.

I'm sorry about your trip too, of course. It's something I always worried about when I went anywhere before Dad passed away.

Annie

• 15 years ago

Karen, I join the others in being so sorry your mother is gone. That is a hard thing to take & adjust to. I hope knowing the love of your family & the caring of your friends will help ease this time for you.

Kathleen

• 15 years ago

This is not what I thought this post was going to be. I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I'll add you to my prayers.

Sally

• 15 years ago

Karen, I send you my deepest sympathy on your loss of your mother. Yes, things happen for a reason.

((HUGS))

Peppi

• 15 years ago

Oh my, this is just not what I expected on this thread. I've been waiting for time to sit back & enjoy your pictures & tales of adventure.

Karen, I'm so sorry. What a shock under any circumstances but to be so far from home must have been extraordinarily difficult. I'm glad you had family that could & would step to the plate to help.

My prayers & thoughts are with you. Losing a Mom is so tough.

/tricia

• 15 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you very close and will have lots of warm memories. There is always another trip but never another Mom.

• 15 years ago

Trixie,
    My heart goes out to you on the loss of your mother. Even though your vacation was cancelled, I'm glad that you were able to be back in time to be with the rest of your family at the time of her funeral. It sounds as though you have many happy memories of her life and love for you to help you through these tough weeks of adjustment.
    Best wishes,
    Grace

• 15 years ago

Karen, please accept my deepest condolences for your loss.

xx
    Nancy

• 15 years ago

Karen, I am so sorry for the loss of your mom and that it happened while you were away from home which added to the stress. Take care and Hugs.

Brenda

• 15 years ago

Karen I join the others in sending my condolences for your mother's passing. Keep the memories you have of her close to your heart and she will be with you always.

• 15 years ago

So sorry to hear of you mothers passing.

• 15 years ago

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. I had a wonderful Mother and have so many things to be thankful for. I knew that sometime in the not to distant future we would be looking at assisted living and I did not want to think about it. She passed exactly the way she wanted to. She wanted to stay in her own home, drive her car and do what she wanted and that is what she got to do. She and a neighbor (who is 85 but probably has a better memory than me) went out to eat Saturday evening. Several people have commented about visiting with them. The neighbor went over Sunday morning to have coffee. Mother didn't come to the door which was locked. She called my SIL. When my SIL got there the door was open and Mother was laying on the floor beside the bed. My SIL put her hand on Mother's back, she said she took one breath. I think the doorbell woke her,
    she unlocked the door and was going back to bed.
    I am thankful that she never had to suffer and could stay in her own home.

Yes we had cruise insurance, but we had booked our own flights so I wasn't sure how that would be handled. I sent all the documents today so we will see. After talking to the agent I feel pretty good about it. I think we will be reimbursed for the cost of the cruise and the cost of the flight getting back home. The flight from Santiago, Chile to Mexico City to Dallas cost $400.00 less flying economy than the round trip flight flying first class from Oklahoma City to Santiago and the return from Buenos Aires to Oklahoma City. Also two hotel rooms and a rental car. But it doesn't matter if we can get the cost of the cruise and the return flight we will be happy. We still have the return flight on Delta on the 19th. I called and we can still use the return cost of the flight with any international flight within a year.
    All is well.
    I just wish I didn't feel so sad.

• 15 years ago

So very sorry to read this Karen. Losing your mother is one of the hardest things I think one goes thru. In combination with being away and the chaos to get home.....well you are one strong woman. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

• 15 years ago

Oh Karen I am so sorry. What a horrible experience. I'm sure the lost vacation pales next to the loss of your mother. You seem to be handling it as well as anyone could.

I also watch out for my very feisty 91 year old mom. She still lives in her own home and is quite independent. She is the backbone of our family and I dread the day she goes. I think I dread even more the possibility of her going to an assisted care facility. She would be miserable. My prayer for her is that when the time comes, she just keels over. If it was your mom's time, then she had a good death.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom.

• 15 years ago

Sorry for your loss Karen, I can't even imagine. I'm glad that the cruise and air lines are treating you fairly at the very least. You'll be in my thoughts, take care of yourself and your family.