SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

finished bathroom, semi DIY, semi low budget

muscat
14 years ago

Hello! I have read a lot more here than I have posted, but am happy to say that I can now post a finished bathroom. I started with questions here several months ago, bought most of my supplies online, and we did all of the work in the last 3 weeks of June, though I just put up the baseboards today. This was a "semi DIY" job, in that I hired a contractor to do the electrical, plumbing, window replacement, fan installation, and used his guy to do the marble fabrication. I did all the little stuff: recaulked the tub and surround, painted, installed lights and cabinets, tiled, etc. I was going to buy a stock dual vanity cabinet, but my contractor works with a cabinet maker who built a custom unit for me, which I purchased as raw wood, then did the finishing/sanding and hardware myself. I called this "semi low budget" in that I just decided it was worth it to me to hire pros to do stuff that gave me a headache to think about, but I did a lot in my spare time, and this made the job go by very quickly, too. We were only without a usable room for about 1 week.

I was really tempted to pull out the whole tub and surround and replace it with tile, but decided that for my budget and sanity, I could dress it up with decorative tile ont the edges, add a new curtain and rod, and call that good enough. Nothing in the room moved, and the only structural changes were a new dual pane window, a fan venting to the outside (no ventilation before), and a double vanity where there had been a single. We did surface mount medicine cabinets because I wanted BIG units, and we would have had to cut studs in the wall to install these. Also, our bedroom is on the other side of that wall, and I was not sure I wanted the extra noise through the wall if the cabinets were recessed.

It is hard to get good photos of a bathroom! I did not bother to include pics of one corner of the room, b/c it is just a closet that got a fresh coat of paint and some new organization. :)

Thanks for the help and fun reading here!!!!!!

Before:

AFTER:

Comments (15)