SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenntheeditor

Cali Kitchen REVEAL! (semi-budget)

Jenn L.
8 years ago

Hello from San Diego, long time lurker, first time poster. I wanted to share our renovated kitchen with you all, since your comments and advice have been so helpful to me. I would never have known about Bosch dishwashers or Blanco sinks, so thank you!! I also wanted to give hope to others, as I was discouraged by the high-end kitchens and thinking we could never get something as beautiful as we did. We have an open U shape kitchen with doors on both sides; about 100 sq ft of tile, 95 sq ft of counters, 13 cabs. Total cost: $15K materials, appliances + labor, some DIY, some contractor. This is our success story. :)

Backstory: We sold our condo (previously had renovated the master bath and kitchen) at Xmas and moved into an apartment for 4 months while we house hunted. We ended up buying a complete fixer upper that just happened to be the worst house in a great neighborhood that nobody wanted to deal with (overseas investors + rental property) and we spent 2 month renovating it. New flooring throughout, whole house painted (and walls patched and fixed), every water line and plumbing fixture replaced, and a kitchen gut redo. We didn't have a big budget, but I do appreciate value and doing things once, the right way. Our style is classic modern - is that a thing? The Audrey Hepburn of kitchens, lol!

High Level: We did an Ikea kitchen during their sale, our cabs alone would not have qualified for any discount so we threw in the countertop too ($59/sq ft installed) and got 20% off it all. We could not have been happier with how smooth the whole process was, but full disclosure, my DH lived in their planning software for weeks before we went to the store to buy. We got all our appliances from Best Buy, b/c they price match for 30 days afterward so when things went on sale I called them back and got a refund. We used Lowes for almost everything else. We still can't decide on a backsplash (glass tile), so taking a breather. Any suggestions?

Cabs: Ikea Sektion Laxarby (black painted Birch) with white boxes

Counters: Ceasarstone Nougat (LOVE!)

Dishwasher: Bosch 500 series (LOVE!)

Fridge: LG Counter Depth LFXC24726S (LOVE!)

Stove: Samsung

Micro: Samsung

Sink: Blanco Precis (LOVE!)

Floors: Pergo Max Montgomery Apple (LR, $2.50/sq ft), Style Selections Leonia Sand Porcelain tile in mild wood grain (K, $1.99/sq ft)

Pics in following posts, happy to answer any questions! Thanks for reading!

Before - 1990, moldy birch and white tile. dark grout or dirty...??

Before:

That micro was all sorts of code violations.

Half Demo'd, only pic of fluorescent light box.

Comments (41)