SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Semi-modern bathroom photo update...

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

This weekend we set out to install our shower glass. It was nerve-wracking dealing with the big, heavy, expensive glass slabs! We got the fixed panel in place, and then realized that the glass manufacturer had sent the wrong hinges for the door :( So we're doorless for now...

We also installed the vanity, sinks, and plumbing. We had the basic case built for us, and we made the countertop ourselves. The legs are from Ikea. The sinks are from eBay, knock-offs of expensive Ronbow sinks. The faucets are Kohler Purist. We plumbed all the plumbing (supply and traps) in a 4" space along the wall, so there only needs to be a shallow U-shaped cut-out in the back of the drawer to accomodate the shallow drain pipe.)

The drawer pulls are not installed yet (they'll be George-Nelson-like slim edge pulls on the top edge, about 1.5" wide.) and the mirror is not up yet. DH is making the mahogany frame for that this week. I also need to find a good fabric for the window, and install the door.

Looking from the master bedroom through the hall with the two small walk-in closets on either side:

The tub and niche (faucets areJado IQ) and curious kitten (she loves the heated floor!)

Vanity, shower (minus door) and Toto Aquia toilet

From the shower:

vanity:

Comments (68)

• homey_bird
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

DROOOOOOL.....Stacey, I was eagerly awaiting to see your pix and they blew me away! What a beautiful space! I also LOVE your vanity.

Everything is perfect with each other...match made in heaven! Cannot wait to see finished pix and LOTS of them.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aw, you guys are so nice.... it is very gratifying to hear your kind words, since it has been a really incredibly difficult renovation. (Mostly due to the surprise nature of it -mold discovery- and coming at a time when we had neither time nor money to take on such a big project.)

plumberry, here are some approximate costs:
    tile for shower walls and tub surround ($2.50/sf) $362.00
    tile for shower floor and niches ($33.40/sf + ship) $810.00
    marble for curb (this was too expensive, I should have shopped better!) $175 (incl ship)
    thinset, grout, caulk $200
    cement board & screws... can't remember, maybe about $100?
    labor to build shower base, set all tile including the floor (not including building shower niches or installing cement board, both DIY) $2856.00

Note that I tiled the entire outside of the shower wall, so that added cost as well.

I am not sure how much of that labor was for the floor, but MOST of it I am sure was for the shower/tub area. The little glass tiles are difficult to install; I suspect my labor cost would have been quite a bit lower if I was using subway tile or something easier. Also, I had three quotes for labor, ranging from about $1600-$2856. I chose the most expensive guy because I felt he would do the best job, had the most experience, and I knew that the materials I had chosen were difficult to work with. If I'd chosen larger-format ceramic tile, I probably would have gone with the cheaper labor and saved a lot.

I had originally budgeted only $2500 for tile, materials, and labor, and I obviously exceeded that!!

Also- don't forget about a shower door. If you're doing frameless it's pricey. We are DIY-ing the install and the glass + panel cost about $1100 shipped. A simpler style, like just a door or a door and straight panel, can be about $800 shipped, and I had a local quote for a simple door/panel for about $1400 installed. My neo-angle situation increased the cost.

• Related Discussions

95% complete DIY modern vintage bathroom

Q

Comments (28)
    Vix - don't get my husband started on that clawfoot! He rues the expense and the installation hassles. But it sure is pretty... Paral - We have clear EVA liners around the whole perimeter. Not ideal, looks-wise, but the best solution in terms of water containment. Thanks, Marisany - After 4 months, we're still not living in the master suite, so this gorgeous bathroom is going largely unused. You should see the one I shower in every day - if you scroll down in the link below, you can see images of the before and only slightly better after. Ugh! I'm looking forward to those many happy hours... Here is a link that might be useful: My wretched other bathroom (and house)...
    ...See More

Chrome, lavender, & taupe bathroom is done - bunches of photos!

Q

Comments (14)
    cat_mom - Yes! It's been amazing. This is the first whole room remodel I've ever done, and it just feels...good. :P fori - Thank you! I tried to pick a "manly" lavender, so that it would be fairly unisex. I think I succeeded, it is somewhat muted so that helps it be more grey-ish lavender. minal - I wish I could say that we did it ourselves, but no, we had a contractor do the tile, glass door, and the plumbing. They did a great job and did everything the way I would have, with no weird grout lines or tile sizes. I'm very pleased, and they were affordable, too! My husband and I tackled the electrical including the new fan (attics suck), and also the vanity knobs and accessory hardware. treasuretheday - Thanks, and the accessory likes the new bathroom too! She's always loved bathtubs and showers, and she just goes in there and hangs out randomly now. :)
    ...See More

Master Bathroom Updated - X-Post from Decorating

Q

Comments (25)
    bullielove and motherof3inct - Yes, the Linen Cabinet was also built custom and to match the vanity - drawers same height and same wood/finish. The original Linen Closet had an 18" bi-fold door, which really only opened about 15", with wire shelving inside. The door was standard 80" height. We opened the width to 24" and the height to 96" for this cabinet. It is free-standing, though anchored, and the frame is scribed to fit as if built-in. Appreciate your kind remarks.
    ...See More

1912 Bathroom Remodel -- Keep it Classic or Modernize it??

Q

Comments (53)
    bellburgmaggie A free standing tub NEEDS space. It isn't "wasted" space. It is the space this fixture requires to even look good, or to functionally be able to clean around. I offered no solution, because there is none REQUIRED. The tub is centered under a focal point window in the rendering. The tub fill is centered on the tub, and is also centered on the "off center of room" window. It requires no solution. At all. In a better scenario, the tub would have MORE space........all three sides. But you are asking as to an uneven distribution of the space. The weight of the wood vanity on the left balances the total bath. It's fine, if a little snug for a free standing tub. And an agile cleaner. Or the built in tub, that would make more sense for the size of the bath. WITH a deck, and no way to get goo in the floor around that tub. That my dear IS the real "solution"
    ...See More
  • mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Stacey, just saw this--it's *stunning* and perfect. Just delicious combination of restraint and exuberance. And my stomach just turned as I saw the labor (...) for the tile -- Bill, I could have afforded you and I would have avoided all that irritating mess with the epoxy grout and the grout in the changes of plane...waaaaahhh...stacey, whatever you paid Bill was WORTH IT in peace of mind. Don't ever consider that any other alternative would have been viable. It wouldn't have been.

May I ask, how much was the vanity to construct? And could you please tell me the ebay seller of the sinks? Thanks!

(and the delicious Siamese--WOW she's beautiful! Did you buy her from a breeder or rescue or how did she come into your home?)

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi flyleft!

Thanks for the compliments :)

Yes, it really did come down to spending extra to hire Bill for peace of mind, That is exactly how we justified it!

The vanity and bath cabinet (on the wall behind the toilet) cost $1300 together. We added our own legs, countertop, glass shelves, and (soon to add) pulls. There are some issues, though, but hopefully the cabinetmaker will resolve them. The legs were like $25 at Ikea, and the wood for the top was about $250 extra.

The sinks are from an ebay seller whose name I can't remember, but the invoice says www.buysink.com. It's in Canada. They were CD$100 each plus CD$130 shipping, or about $312 USD for both, shipped. They are almost exact copies of the Ronbow sinks, although there are probably differences (mine don't sit EXACTLY straight-flush on the counter, for instance, and the cutout isn't an exact rectangle due to some waviness of the porcelain... perhaps the Ronbows have better quality control) Also the pop-up drain and overflow cover are chintzier than the rest of my hardware. I may replace at some point.

and the kitten, Willa.... she's from a lady who breeds pet-quality Siamese as a hobby. We have another older Siamese, and my 13-y-o DD came to the dinner table a few months ago with a very well-prepared presentation, complete with printed out arguments and quotes from experts, as to why we needed another kitten! So- as an early Christmas present, we decided to get her a kitten. I am allergic to most can't other than some Siamese so I needed to go visit the cats first... But there were none to adopt (I looked as far as 7 hours drive radius!) and most breeders charge $800 or more for kittens!!! I spent days searching the online classifieds of small local newspapers, and finally found one 3 hours away. We drove to Vermont and picked out this kitten. She's great, has a wonderful personality, like most Siamese I've known...

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Not sure if you saw my question, what are your floor tiles (make/style/color)?

• nutherokie_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Forgive me if you mentioned it already, but did you get Starfire or some other kind of ultra clear glass?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, sorry catmom! The floor tiles are by Iris, they are Oyster Brushstroke. They have some issues, though; they are a bit higher in the center than on the ends, this creates "lippage" because we laid them in a brick pattern. It would not have mattered in a soldier pattern, but I really wanted brick. It's not bad, barely noticeable, but not perfectly perfectly flat...

nutherokie, the glass is just regular plain old tempered 3/8 glass. I hadn't read about teh Starfire (or forgot about it) when I ordered it, and was worried it might look too green, but it doesn't! Looks great with everything else, happily :)

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We've been looking at tile for two bathrooms. Yours looks similar (at least in the picture) to one or two that we'd looked at. The color (of the one we actually saw), while gorgeous, wouldn't work in one bathroom, and is a bit iffy for the other, so we decided against it for the time being.

Despite yours having issues, it does look lovely in your bathroom!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

stacey, Those sinks are lovely and I am glad you bought from buysink. I bought my white marble sink from them a couple of years ago and was very pleased with the experience.

As much as I try to support local businesses, it is impossible to ignore the variety, price, availability and customer service you can get with online/remote dealers.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, they were nice to deal with. I am also keen on supporting local businesses, but there was no place local for anything like this (that's not true- I could have ordered the real Ronbow sinks from a local shop for $600 each or something like that. Definitely not in my budget.)

I did decide, though, to order most of my tile through local tile stores, even though there was a mark-up over on-line. The glass was the only one I got online.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Fabulous job, and I envy you being able to hire Bill V as your tilesetter. Perfect installation, as always.

Your kitty is ab-fab! I had a cat who was so intrigued by my bubble baths, one day she just couldn't help herself and leaped in. I barely had time to open my mouth to yell when she reversed herself almost as soon as her paws hit the water! I didn't even get scratched, she flew out so fast, LOL.

BTW, in another thread I posted a link to Brookstone's website, where they have a very neat towel warmer appliance that supposedly can hold a big towel sheet or bathrobe, for a very reasonable $80. Might be just the final finishing touch to that gorgeous spa you've created!

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

Stacey, it's interesting to know that you ordered your glass online. And it looks like it had custom dimensions. Can you please share the site where you ordered it from?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The glass tile is from here:
    http://okglasstile.com/art-tile-case.aspx

I wrote above that it was $2.50/sf but actually it was less because I bought it by the case... $45 for 23 sq ft, plus shipping. My color was blanco, which they seem to only list here:
    http://okglasstile.com/art-tile-collection.aspx

The tiles are 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" and come face mounted on paper. A full sheet contains 225 pieces and is approximately 1.15 square feet. There are some flaws in them, at this price... some inclusions, chipped corners, etc, but I actually like the overall natural effect of that. Especially for the price.

• slateberry
    14 years ago

I've been meaning to check back and find your bathroom update. Uh, WOW! is all I can say. I'm very happy for you, and I'm very happy for me, since I'll have a similar floor plan. Congratulations and thanks for sharing the beauty and all the helpful detailed information, it's really beautiful.

I'm curious about your shower door; you say you ordered a frameless door and you are diy'ing the install? I see you already have one glass wall; did you order it from the same place as the door to get a match, and did you have the pieces shipped separately bc you'd be needing them at different times? Just wondering bc we'd like to do frameless too, and I haven't thought out all these nitty gritty details yet. Any tips/lessons learned appreciated.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi slateberry51. Thanks for your kind words :)
    We ordered the door and fixed panel together, and started to DIY the install last weekend. But we found that the fabricator had sent the wrong hinges, so we couldn't do the door. We have the correct hinges now, and are about to install the door this afternoon. I'll post about it when we're through!

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

Stacey thanks for the info on the woods and finishes, I am so happy to see how beautiful your room turned out. It is just so well executed and relaxing to look at. I get the same feeling when I go to the Danish furniture store. Your cabinet looks like it could have come from there. Anyway I would love to hear how this counter works out for you in the coming months. I have a real problem here with a counter top ($$$ whole slab issue & don't need that much) and this would be beautiful and still let my sink be the star. Thank goodness you had the right man for the job in respect to the tiles not being dead flat. I shudder to think what would have happened without him. Wonder if he needs some R&R in Florida! : )

• hedygs
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

We need to do our master due to some issues and I love what you have done. Enjoy!

• crazyone
    14 years ago

any new photos of the rest of the items put in?

it is a lovely bathroom, nice job~

• susanjn
    14 years ago

Beautiful!

What are the dimensions of the room? And dimensions of the inside of the shower?

Our two (used to be) kittens fell into the tub once - only once. :)

TIA

• susanjn
    14 years ago

Sorry Stacey. I found the shower dimensions on another thread. I should have checked first.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all- this update is not quite so happy today:

(Susan, did you find the room dimensions, too? It's 13'2" x 6'4". The interior useable space in the shower (wall to glass) is 36" wide x 60" long.)

I'll get some more photos up tomorrow. WE had a very depressing, frustrating weekend of work :(

1) We finally got the correct hinges and hung the shower door. it was very, very difficult, figuring out the neo-angle installation drilling the holes in the glass tile, not shattering the big glass panel... The side panel had been cut too short, so the door cannot sit exactly even on it's curb (probably no one will notice but me) and only one side of the hinges' screws fell on the stud (probably fine since some hinges are one-sided anyway). DH and I have NEVER had such a stressful, bad day of work together, and that's saying a lot since we have completed several very major DIY renovations and sailboat restorations. A straight-line door-and-panel, or even a 90-degree corner probably would have been much easier. I recommend NOT attempting a neo-angle DIY install.

2) The grout in the bathroom is staining badly. We did not seal, and finding it to be a real bummer. We taped cedar shims to the tile during the glass install (with blue painters tape). Drilling the tile requires water be sprayed on the drill bit. Water worked behind the tape, along with some sawdust, glass dust, etc. When the tape was removed the grout was badly stained. Tried several things to clean it. Finally, long soaking with bleach has removed most of it. Floor grout was stained with an innocuous "all-natural all-purpose cleaner"!!! I am going to have to dig out and regrout most of it. Very depressing.

3) DH spent last week after work making a lovely mahogany frame for the vanity mirror. I dropped the mirror off at the glass store on Friday to be cut to size; DH picked it up and brought it to his wood shop to finish. Proudly brought it home and installed it on Sunday. There is a large, deep scratch down the mirror RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY FACE when I stand at my sink. We do not know if it was already on the mirror (which was in store packaging when I dropped it off, whether the glass store did it, or whether DH did. The mirror cannot be removed/replaced without wrecking the frame. DH says he's not building another one. (Like I said, it was a long and discouraging weekend...) so I'll have to live with it :(

4) We got custom-cut glass shelves for our custom-made mahogany wall cabinet, and went to install them. Cabinetmaker had drilled the peg holes TOTALLY out of level. Front-to-back on one side they are over 1/8" off (in a shallow cabinet that makes a huge difference). Now we're going to have to ask it to be redone. he's a really nice young man with a young family, HATE to do that, but WTF? WE can't use it as is, the shelves wobble waaaay to much!

Sorry for complaining. I needed to get my frustration out. I know these problems are absolutely ridiculously unimportant in the big scheme of things, and I am incredibly fortunate to even have a master bathroom, let alone such a beautiful one :)

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

Omg I'm so sorry to hear all this. I'm glad you said something about Diy and shower glass. My plan was to have it done happy with that decision. As for the grout I'd try a few more things and time before I started removing grout. Did you ask bill? I saw somewhere maybe on kitchen side about removing stains from granite. He said to make a poultice of baking soda and water might be something else pile it up cover with plastic and tape it down don't touch it for 3 days. Then repeat as needed. Try this! As for the mirror don't worry I don't think your husband is going to make you stare at a mirror that makes you feel like Sibal. I just think he's had it for now. Sorry about the cabinet. They sell a jig just for this work guess he didn't use one. Well Sorry again and were pulling for you. Maybe take a short break and walk away from project for a few days!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Yes, we've discussed this. I'll be going over there probably some time tomorrow with some grout.

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

Omg I'm so sorry to hear all this. I'm glad you said something about Diy and shower glass. My plan was to have it done happy with that decision. As for the grout I'd try a few more things and time before I started removing grout. Did you ask bill? I saw somewhere maybe on kitchen side about removing stains from granite. He said to make a poultice of baking soda and water might be something else pile it up cover with plastic and tape it down don't touch it for 3 days. Then repeat as needed. Try this! As for the mirror don't worry I don't think your husband is going to make you stare at a mirror that makes you feel like Sibal. I just think he's had it for now. Sorry about the cabinet. They sell a jig just for this work guess he didn't use one. Well Sorry again and were pulling for you. Maybe take a short break and walk away from project for a few days!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some updated pics with the shower door and mirror up, and door hung. The door is the original 1956 back door (exterior door) that we removed when we removed that exterior wall during the kitchen reno. Its a lovely old door. I'm going to put privacy film on the glass panels (like etched glass) next week, and we have a beautiful old chrome knob set to install. Also hoping the vanity hardware shows up soon...

• smiling
    14 years ago

Exquisite bathroom, just exquisite. If DH doesn't mind the mirror scratch, is there a way to turn it 180 degrees (make the present top the new bottom), so the scratch is on his side? In the pics the mirror looks symetrical, so it might work. Did I say exquisite!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, smiling!

We tried flipping the mirror, but the scratch is actually more noticeable when its the other way.... oh, well.....

• minac
    14 years ago

I was noticing the square drain in your shower. Do you remember where you got it? What brand is it? I want to do something similar for my shower.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's a Kohler drain. It seems quite nicely made, and is much easier to tile around.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Yup!

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Lovely, especially the matching cat accessory.

How are you preventing water damage to the windows that are in the shower?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

The windows are vinyl, so no wood is exposed to water. The cement board butts up to the window frame, and Bill pitched the "sill" area towards the shower before tiling, so water doesn't sit there.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Also, the cement board was waterproofed, and then caulked to the window frame.

• emilymch
    14 years ago

bumping this up with a question: Stacey, what grout did you use for the wall tile? I might have mentioned elsewhere that we're using the same tile for our upcoming bathroom remodel (except in the smaller size). I made a sample board and grouted it with whatever white grout that I found at Home Depot, but I'm wondering if I should go with something better/different.

Thanks!

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

Glad this got bumped up. I have a question as well... what did you use for your Niches at the bottom and I think I see the same material on your shower curb? I have had a few tile guys try to get me interested in tiling the bottom of niches and window. I don't want all those grout joints. I see yours are solid surface and would love to know the material you used. Also how is the wood counter holding up?

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

I have a feeling Stacey might not have seen this, so I'll answer the questions that I can. The grout was Hydroment's unsanded white, and the niche shelves, as well as the curb were Thassos marble tiles that were cut down and then bullnosed.

• emilymch
    13 years ago

Thanks Bill!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Very nice...such clean lines...I love it. So funny...when I looked at that second picture I wondered what the tan extension was on the hand held sprayer...took me a moment to realize it was the tail of your cat cause the colors blend so well...LOL

• penelopejosephine
    13 years ago

I LOVE your bathroom! It is perfect and oh so beautiful! Nice job :)

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Gosh I love this bathroom. It's definitely the look I'm hoping for in our new bathroom.

Stacey (or Bill, if you remember), can you tell me the rough dimensions of your shower? It looks similar to what we're thinking of doing and it's nice to be able to visualize these things.

Great lights by the vanity too!

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Um ... ignore that post .. if I had just read the entire thread I would have my answer. And yes, it's almost exactly the same size as our shower will be.

Still love the room!

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

It's 36x48, obviously with a corner cut off.

• girlcat36
    13 years ago

What a pretty, serene bathroom! Love it!

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

I made a mistake. I was just there yesterday to complete the repairs to the shower floor. It's 36x60.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys!
    Thanks so much for the compliments. Bill was here today putting the final touches on everything (we're so excited!!) and he told me there were questions on this thread. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

I think Bill answered most everything, except the wood counter question. It's holding up great! Looks brand new. Of course it's only a couple months old, so I'm not sure what that's worth :)

I just have to finish the window curtain and apply grout colorant to the floor tile grout (which was stained before we even used the bathroom by all-natural cleaner, grrr....) and then I think we can officially call it completed.

• valery123
    13 years ago

What brand/model tub is that? I like it very pretty and non-fussy looking.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a Kohler Archer soaking tub. It was the cleanest/sleekest looking tub I could find without spending an arm and a leg. I'm happy with it...

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here, Terri, I'll bump this thread for you to see....

• sunshinetm
    13 years ago

Very Beautiful!!!!
    You definitely have a talent when it comes to decorating!
    We have our second bathroom tore apart now...DH said he wanted his done after he saw how well mine turned out. It is a smaller bathroom, the tub/shower, floor & ceiling are staying so it shouldn't be as costly as the other bathroom. Plus we are probably doing all of the work ourselves this time.
    Again, very Exquisite as someone said earlier.
    Terri

• jaidog
    7 years ago

Stacey,

Your bathroom looks fantastic! Just wondering how the tub has fared. Has it yellowed at all or remained close to its original color? I recall reading some complaints about acrylic tubs losing their color.

Thanks.