SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tyler_72us

Where to save money on a build

tyler_72us
9 years ago

So we're planning on building a home pretty soon and had a different money saving question. What are the things to spend extra on during the build, and what things can be upgraded later (for example I know good appliances save you money in the long run, but upgrading appliances is much easier a few years after the build then trying to upgrade the insulation for the house) so basically I'm trying to find the things that all in three categories 1) can't be upgraded easily after construction so spend the money to upgrade during 2) can be upgraded "relatively" easily after the build but using GC suppliers the money will save enough money that I should consider upgrading (I hear that often counter tops fall in this category) and 3) can be easily upgraded after and the amount of money saved by upgrading during is minimal. So basically I want to spend as much money on possible on the more permanent things(better windows, insulation, using screws instead of nails (i just heard that one helps reduce creaking)) on the house and live with cheaper replaceable things for a bit (carpets, appliances, ect).

Oh and I actually pretty handy (i cant wire a light fixture or do some finishing pluming like putting in facets with out worry, but i couldn't wire the whole house or do the plumbing) so that's something to consider with the list, or even if you want to throw in advice about what are some of the more likely things i should do my self during construction.

I know that may have been a lot for one question but I appreciate any advice in advance.

Comments (18)