SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexup_gw

'Vintage' tile for master bathroom

lexup
15 years ago

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on tile for a master bathroom.

We are gutting a house (incl. four bathrooms and a kitchen)and I need to select bathroom tile. First a little background: the original house was built in the 1890's and was cute and small - about 1200 sq ft. Over the years (1930's, 1950's and 1980's) the house was expanded to about 3600 sq ft. We are trying to "restore" the house and undo some bad additions (e.g., we are not taking away square footage but, for instance, we are replacing windows so that they match the original 6 over 1 windows, we're closing off a cathedral ceiling, etc). The revovations that were done in the 50's and 30's are fine. The renos done in the 80's were just plain awful!

This is a long way of saying that the style of the renovation is NOT to try and restore it to a single, true turn of the century bungalow but rather allow it to look like a home that was renovated (tastefully) over the last 100+ years while maintaing a more vintage look. I have already figured out the other three bathrooms (1" hex tile, Pedestal sinks, subway tile, etc). Now I am completely stuck on what to do with the Mater Bath.

The Master Bath has one "modern" element which we're adding which is a walk in shower w/glass (frameless). I originally though that I'd also do the hex and subway tile but splurge and make it marble for the Master but I'm not sure how that would look inside a shower like the one I've described. Any ideas?

Comments (4)