SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdarrigo

What flooring did you do in your finished basement?

kdarrigo
17 years ago

We are in the process of finishing about 1200 sq ft of our basement, 75% done.

We have 3 kids who will be using a bulk of this area as a play area. There is a separate room for our exercise equiptment (husband wants rubber mats for this floor) and in another part of the basement i want to use as an art activity center for the kids (paints, messy stuff, etc) ..so we are thinking of using ceramic tile for that area. H wants to actually tile the entire basement in case there is ever a water issue- we built our home 2 yrs ago. I can't see us having any real issues where we are with flooding or whatever, but i suggested perhaps tiling the perimeter of the entire basement in case we ever got a leak of some sort this way water would sit on the edges where the tile would be, should water ever trickle in. Dumb idea???? Then use carpet for the rest. He really is kinda trying to sway me into agreeing on ceramic tile for everything, i just think it would be soooo cold in the basement, esp with a kids play area. I don't know. I just know I don't want to ever hear the "I told you so" from his mouth!! I want it to be comfortable for the kids. should i just let him tile the whole thing and use area rugs over it??? Anyone tile the entire basement? How is it? How cold does it feel?

And if you use carpet, did you put down padding first? Anything under the padding??

I can use some suggestions...

Thanks everyone!

Comments (38)

• iamnodiy
    17 years ago

We will be finishing our basement in December and have decided to use ceramic tile. In our last home when we finished the basement we used a berber carpet with a special padding that is used for basement installation. It prevents mold from growing in the event of a flood. Traditional carpet padding is sponge like and would absorb water which would allow mold to grow. We also installed a low pile carpet(berber) because in the event of a flood it could be vacuumed up with a shop vac and would dry faster than a thick pile carpet. The carpet was nice and made the basement feel cozy but it was such a pain to vacuum such a large area. I always felt that I missed something. The carpet was tweed so it didn't show dirt or lint. In this home since we only have carpet in the bedrooms,we felt that ceramic tile and an area rug would be the best choice. We have 2 boys 11 and 14 they don't play on the floor the way younger children do so a cold floor is not a concern anymore. If you do an inexpensive ceramic tile and it turns out that you don't like it you can alway carpet over it. IMO tile is more sanitary in the basement because it can be washed down with disinfectant. I am by no means a germaphobe but even finished basements sometimes develope undesirable oders.

• subywu
    17 years ago

I like tile too. I just had my basement finished this summer. I put new carpet down. Sure enough, the storm sewer backs up for the first time in 10 years and the carpet had to be removed! I will be tiling up the area this time around.

• Related Discussions

How did you finish your concrete floors

Q

Comments (1)
    We had them stained and sealed. You can stain them and leave them, or have them scored to look like tile, the sky's the limit. The more you do, the more it costs, of course. But staining will look better than paint, for sure!
    ...See More

How to finish finishing my basement on the cheap (but doing it right)

Q

Comments (1)
    If you want to finish the basement you have to apply for the permit and meet all basic building, electrical, plumbing (if you have a bathroom) and fire code requirements for a habitable basement. If you just want paint the foundation walls, throw down some carpeting, etc you don't need anything. As the heating goes, you can tap into existing ducts (if you have a forced hot air system) that will give you some heat down there just make sure your furnace can handle additional heating space...or you can add electric baseboard heat and if you want to add some outlets or lights you will also need a permit to make sure it's done right... Just keep in mind using electric baseboard, you have to calculate the area and make sure you install the right size baseboard to handle the area or if baseboards undersized they will run constantly and you end up with a huge bill. That said, basements are usually comfortable in the winter and cool in the summer so most people who don't mind just having foundation walls painted don't usually add any heating down there. But you should have some sort of an air exchange, if you go by code you have to have a window opening area to be equal to 4% of the floor area that is the requirement or you have to provide mechanical ventilation system capable of providing 0.35 air exchanges per hour. Good luck
    ...See More

Why Did You Choose The Flooring Finish You Did?

Q

Comments (7)
    Caution on telling any Pro what to use! If you have a product preference, find the pro that works with it from the beginning. Talk about their experience and look at their past work. Don’t ever ask a Minwax guy to even think about putting down Bona. Or a Bona guy to do Rubio. Specifying a product to a pro puts you in the hot seat for being responsible for paying the installer to experiment on your floors enough to get the results that you want. In other words, asking to pay for mistakes to be made. Because you’re telling him what and how. A true Pro tells you what and how. Then you double check against the manufacturer’s instructions. In the world of a lot of good choices, the professional is more important than the product.
    ...See More

Finishing the basement - what do we do with this brick fireplace?

Q

Comments (6)
    are you in love w/the brick? If you're not, you could fir it out and do something different on it. another tile, stone or even a wood. By doing that, you'll create another 6" of depth so you can have your built in's examples fir it and apply cement board (or, you could complete skim coat the brick w/mortar) do a diff stone,,,maybe do a wall treatment like this, with consoles. or a place for the tv here's one they did w/wood I love this look. fir it out and apply these planks of walnut. gorgeous maybe you just do some benches on the side if you just paint the brick, you could do thin shelves. Or, along side the brick on the sides, use a thicker molding that would allow you to do shelves that come further out these are shallow built ins. but see the side trim and how they stick out past the fireplace? you could do this or, just paint the brick, wood molding, and no shelves. here they did a tongue and groove treatment none of these are especially difficult or expensive. if you can do some DIY, you can do any of these yourself
    ...See More
  • worthy
    17 years ago

I've finished basements with ceramic tile, slate and direct glued carpet.

For kids, I'd always go tile. Even sealed slate, my two small boys have managed to damage with some unknown colourant; carpet in our last home, after a year was ready for the garbage.

One note, I'd use an uncoupling membrane, such as Ditra underlayment, to prevent cracks in the finished tile that will otherwise develop at stress points; otherwise, be sure to keep lots of the original tiles handy to replace the cracked pieces.

• lisalm
    17 years ago

We're about to put flooring down in our newly finished basement (approx. 800 sq. feet). We decided to use carpet tiles, because we can pull them up in the case of water or spills.

We are using the high end Miliken Tesserae squares (the "Spectrum"). They have integrated, fairly thick padding as well as a vapor barrier. I am hoping we'll have the feel of wall to wall (or close to it) with the flexibility of easy removal in the case of a problem.

We have 2 boys, ages 5 and almost 3, so having a comfortable, warm playing surface is important to us.

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Worthy, please tell me more about the coupling membrane..how much more cost are we looking at with that??

And lisa, can you tell me about carpet squares??? Can i expect that to cost more than common wall to wall carpet in traditional widths? Does yours have a pattern?

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

We installed ceramic tile in our basement in 1993. We never have had cracked tiles (made sure floor was level before tiling).

We have a large area rug where the teens do their video game thing... and a runner and throw rugs elsewhere.

• whitemur
    17 years ago

my ideal would be cork with radiant heat underneath. We put carpet down 2 years ago, and it looks awful.

• lisalm
    17 years ago

The carpet tiles we are going to order are Miliken's Tesserae. There are a few versions of the Tesserae--the most expensive one is the Spectrum which has nice, thick padding (for carpet tiles) and dense, medium-pile frieze fibers. The Spectrum comes in 24 colors, most of which are varigated, some more subtle (looks almost like a solid), and some more obviously multi-colored. Each tile is 24 X 24 inches. The cheapest I've found them is $2.78 per square foot plus shipping from a site called floorshop.com. This is substantially better than the price I was quoted at a local carpet store and even through other online retaliers. Most charge closer to $4.00 per square foot.

This is supposedly an easy DIY product. HOPEFULLY, it really is easy--dh and I are not particularly handy. The tiles can be laid directly on the concrete. I have been trying to figure out if we can place a vapor barrier under them, but I am concerned that I will get slippage. The bottom of each tile is not sticky but is just ever so tacky. It seems like it would grip the floor. The next trick is getting our floor clean enough--cleaning up all of that drywall dust from construction.

We are going to take a sample square to a carpet store and get as close of a match as possible for stairs. If we find a store that sells Miliken, we should be able to get really close.

Below is a link to check out:

I would also check out the Miliken site for more detail and design ideas:
    http://www.millikencarpet.com/MillikenCarpetWebsite/Americas/Residential/CarpetPanels/Tesserae/

Hope that helps,
    Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Tesserae at floorshop.com

• worthy
    17 years ago

Ditra flexible underlayment runs about US$1 a sq. ft. on line,. (I have not used this e-tailer, just an example.)

I had the cracking problem in my own new home (I'm a builder) with a 6" slab on 6" granular fill and 6x6 webbing. Still, other homes I have built had no such problems.

Non-structural concrete slabs do crack and the cracks can affect the tiles above; there are stress points at walkouts, for instance and even at partition walls, which, through settlement can be taking loads, especially in older homes. Mild earth shocks are said to be a source of many cracked basement floors in our area.

In my latest personal home, I used Ditra under the marble basement bathroom floors but took a chance under the 800 sf of thick slate; the tiler used a quality mortar, which he says will afford some flexing--I also bought lots of extra slate just in case.

The home with the cracked tiles was built on sand; the current one on heavy clay, so perhaps that, too, has an influence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ditra underlayment

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Worthy for the information. My husband is pushing for tile or some other kind of 'safe' foolproof surface...however, Lisa, i have to say i love the carpet tile idea. Where if something should happen i can easily change out damaged tiles. I was looking on the website you provided then checked out the floorshop website- i love the colors. I Am definitely going to our local carpet dealer with this one, and going to see what i can get it for there first. I keep thinking i would love to go the safest route here, but then i just feel like tile would be too hard for a baby, a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. I keep thinking 'comfortable ' it is going to be about 1000 sq ft of playroom. Part of this will definitely be tiled for messy activity but i would like them to be able to run and fall like the maniacs they truely are; without having to go to the ER. ha ha.
    THANK YOU for your suggestions.

Oh yeah, any takers on laminate flooring like pergo for the basement or is this just a bad idea?

• jasper_60103
    17 years ago

I vote for carpet or carpet tiles. Also, I like the laminate floor idea.
    We did carpet because we live in a cold climate, plus we're a no-shoes house.

• lindpro
    17 years ago

We put down WilsonArt Estate Plus laminate in the pattern seen in the link below last summer in our gameroom section of the basement. We love it. It's easy to clean and vacuum and non-slippery. Also, it's not nearly as cold as tile.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• wbralick
    17 years ago

I'm doing Pergo laminate on top of Dricore panels. I've got the Pergo and the Dricore is on it's way. I don't have issues with moisture, but I like the idea of something between me and the concrete and the Dricore seems like the way to go.

Bill

• jtwtech
    17 years ago

I'm installing Miliken Legato carpet tiles. I did a 24x13 room yesterday. It only took a few hours, and it looks great. I was going to put sheet vinyl in the rest of the basement, but now I'm going to go ahead and put carpet tiles down in the rest as well.

• kiwiguy
    17 years ago

We are currently having installed 1300 sqft of BR-111 engineered hardwood flooring (American Cherry). It's a floating floor with underlayment going ontop of already installed DriCore panels. Should be finished tomorrow. Looks good so far and hopefully will be nice and warm and dry.

The bathroom is ceramic tile with NobleSeal anti-fracture membrane. FYI a small bathroom (50 sqft) gets really expensive (per square foot) when you need 5 boxes instead of 4, the membrane and shipping is all included. Probably came to $500 in total with the tile being only $3.50/sqft.

• kdarrigo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You will love the BR-111. I didn't think it was recomended for basements though? We have BR-111 (brazilian teak) throughout the first floor of our home..every room!! It is GORGEOUS stuff!!!
    thank you for your suggestions!

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    17 years ago

Even if you have tile you may have to replace it or at least re-grout in the case of water leak or septic/sewer issues.
    We put down lock-tile, which is a flexible rubbery tile. It is not hard like the race-deck type stuff made for garages. Although race-deck tiles would work just as well, they are much harder and not a comfy to "play" on for kids. We have had it down for almost 3 years and love it. We had to pull up one and replace it (circular saw issue!).
    It was very easy to install, no glues or anything, we used a bandsaw to cut any we needed to and a rubber mallet to put them in.
    Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: lock tile

• jrdwyer
    17 years ago

Our family room in our downstairs (bi-level) has Shaw medium height (1/2") pile that is extemely soft to the touch and fun to play on for our young son. It, combined with the standard foam pad, does a good job of insulating from the cold poured concrete floor beneath. It is a 100% nylon soft backed carpet.

In my office and our spare bedroom, I installed Bruce engineered oak flooring. This is the standard stuff you can find at any big box store. It is pre-finished and gunstock stained. I glued it down. It has been very stable and works well for low traffic applications. I would not recommed it for high traffic due to full beveled edges.

The bathroom has sheet vinyl in a light color to brighten the windowless room.

If the basement ever floods due to drain backup or sump-pump failure, the insurance will cover it. The premium is $60/yr. for $10K coverage with a $250 deductible. This is not considered overland flooding which standard homeowners' insurance dosen't cover.

• cheerit
    17 years ago

Don't be so sure about the flooding thing! You just never know. I actually plugged my laundry sink, turned it on, and then WALKED AWAY. (I have three young children and it was just a crazy day.) Yeap, 2 hours later I had a HUGE flood in my unfinished basement. The perimeter of the basement wasn't the only thing affected b/c the water traveled through the vents. Needless to say I will try to never leave the water on and leave again but if the washer ever breaks down I now know what the result will be!

I have a friend that has her concrete sawed and etched? I am looking into this as an alternative to tile.

• legardhome
    17 years ago

We are about 95% finished with our walk out basement. We have a detached garage that is off the basement level and this is our main entry to the home. We used 18x18 travertine in the entry/mudroom, wetbar area, hobby room and guest bath. In the kids playroom and home gym, we used the Miliken Legato carpet squares. I really wanted to use an engineered hardwood in these two rooms but the kids really wanted carpet, so I gave in. I like the way it looks. We chose a neutral tan that blends really well with the travertine and you can't tell it's carpet squares at all. In our guest bedroom and home theater we are going with a traditional carpet with an upgraded pad. I felt the carpet squares just weren't thick enough for these two rooms. Carpet will be installed this week. I hope to post photos when all is done.

• jejvtr
    17 years ago

I'm with cheerit -
    Basements are the most likely place in a home to suffer water damage for one reason or another.

After much consideration - we decided to do an inexpensive type berber carpet - I'm not chancing a thing in the event of water. The carpet & pad will be easily removed and a new one will replace it once floor is totally dry & clean.
    I don't want to guess what is growing under flooring following flooding.

• dgmarie
    17 years ago

We have a berber with a thick padding. The berber is inexpensive HD polyprop berber and is fine. Neutral color. We have a huge basement (3,000 sq ft) English and the carpet provides warmth and soundproofing. Plus in cold weather can't image tile or vinyl down there without shoes on.

• diymostoftime
    17 years ago

Did you put the berber carpeting on your stairs as well? How does that look?

• where_am_i
    17 years ago

For the people with the carpet tiles, how did you finish off your stairs? Did the carpet tiles work on them?

• lisalm
    17 years ago

We went to a carpet store and had them try to contact Miliken to see if we could get a match. Miliken wouldn't (or couldn't) do it. Said Tesserae was a private label?

So, we found a carpet by Shaw that is close. Hopefully, it will look okay. I'll post pix when we get it all finished. Should be another 3-4 weeks, I think.

• Dieter2NC
    17 years ago

We went with mostly onsite finished, engineered hardwood flooring glued down to the concrete. We had special attention paid when pouring and floating the concrete so as to achieve a floor free from dips and ridges. Our basement is over 3000 sqft of which the card room, billiards room, game room, social room and hallway are wood, the bathrooms and 2nd kitchen are ceramic tile, the kids' loung and the theatre room are carpet for accoustic reasons, the exercise room is cork and the workshop is rubber. So we have some of just about everything. The engineered hardwood being the most expensive.

• pooch_again
    17 years ago

wbralick,
    have you finished your basement? I too am thinking of installing Dricor and I am wondering how it went. Is it worth it? Did you put the partition walls on top of the Dricor panels?
    Can't decide if I should put down a sub floor or not.

• ekoreilly
    17 years ago

I too am wondering how he made out! Looks like a good idea, BUT is it really worth all the trouble?

• fnmroberts
    17 years ago

We used 12 x 12 vinyl tiles which we adhered with an adhesive in order to level any minor imperfections in the concrete.

We also set the water heater into a pan and ran a line to the floor drain. Plus back-up sump pump.

Our reason for vinyl was primarily the non-skid surface we selected and that we can easily clean should there be a spill.

The vinyl is noticeably warmer than the concrete but certainly does not have the insulating effect of carpet.

• homebound
    17 years ago

I need all the height I can get, so Dri-Core is out, and maybe even ceramic tile is too much. (7' from the bare floor to the ceiling joists in my case - and 6'4" to the boxed in HVAC ducts.)

Also, our concrete floor is always releasing dust, so I'm considering having the concrete finished and sealed - and then doing something with area rugs, etc.

• carriem25
    17 years ago

Most of our basement is done in laminate. We have radiant heat in our basement, so it is not cold in our basment. I have been very satisfied.

We have a daylight/walk-out basement. Seventeen foot geotech holes showed no water, and in the 18 months that we have lived here, our sump has not kicked in once.

Carrie

• perel
    17 years ago

I'm using *commerical* carpet tile, which is very cheap if you find a remnant you're happy with. As this is mostly used for office buildings, etc, "remnants" are often big enough to do a basement with. Buy extra in case you have to replace some. The backing is waterproof, the carpet is EXTREMELY hard to damage (it's designed for far heavier use than even a home with small children will give it), and it's still reasonably comfortable. Not quite as cushy as a high-end broadloom with a premium pad, but quite acceptable IMO.

They're quite easy to self-install IF you're detail-oriented. If you can draw straight lines and carefully lay the tiles in straight, the instructions for where to draw the lines are quite simple and carpet tile is more forgiving than ceramic, etc, in any case.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Bargains (where I bought my carpet)

• User
    17 years ago

I did our basement floor with Delta-FL (like dricore but all plastic) as a "subfloor" and Allure linoleum floating floor from HD.

It meets requirements (cheap tough dry play room) but it is not a proper installation. The delta product wants a sub floor if the laminate is not used. Because the floor does not have a proper subfloor it is really soft - which is great for 4 young kids banging their heads, but not for heavy furnature feet.

We have had problems with water in the basement. I have made some changes outside (grading and downspouts) that I hope fixes the problem. However, I still plan to have water down there at somepoint. The Delta keeps the floor off the concrete and a sump pump makes sure it gets rid of any water that might accumilate. If the pump fails or some other problem and the basement floods, the linoleum is water proof.

Delta is $0.51/sq ft and the Allure was $1.67/sq ft.

• dlubin
    17 years ago

We used durastone in the craft area and bath, berber the rest of the space with an insulated T&G plywood subfloor. Staircase and landing are all red oak.

• ovenbird
    17 years ago

dlubin: What type of carpet pad did you use under the berber?

• bobfrenzer
    17 years ago

We are using a laminated floor - click type installation. Our friend is a flooring pro and he recommended that solution - we did not want carpet because the kids are too hard on any soft surface.

• rodneyshorette
    13 years ago

I think you should make sure that your basement is waterproofed first and then think about what kind of flooring or carpeting you might want to use. In my experience the best type of padding for a carpet in the basement would be a solid rubber underlay as opposed to a foam or felt type pad. The rubber won't absorb any of the moisture present. Rubber padding is significantly more expensive but in this case well worth it I would think. Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Padding