SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_in_texas

Things I've always wanted to know

new_in_texas
16 years ago

but felt silly asking

- From the crepe myrtle wows thread

"Fall" in Texas... would that be September'ish? or closer to Christmas?

I'm used to a definite sign of the change of seasons whether frost or snow or something, here it's a little harder to tell but I've only been here for 1 fall, so when is fall in TX?

- full sun

For TX I'm thinking this can be a little tricky. I have dappled sun/shade under mesquites in some spots and full sun after 1pm in others, with our sun intensity does that still mean dappled sun/shade and part sun or should I stick to full sun lovers.

- I know I shouldn't plant at this time of year but can I still buy things if I 'baby' them? If yes, how do I baby them? I'm thinking morning sun, water, etc.

Things around here just aren't available as much when it's the 'right' time to plant.

- Do things generally go on sale in the fall? I'd be really bummed if I paid $xx for something only to see it as $x a week or so later. As I'm doing almost all my plants/flowers from seed, my big expense is going to be shrubs and trees.

- The TX smartscapes site.

While extremely helpful I'm not really in either of the 2 regions. I get more choices if I select the North TX one rather than the W TX one but that could be setting me up for failure.

- The Concho Valley seems to be lacking in available info but I can find a lot for Midland, Abilene and of course Austin. Being in San Angelo, how risky would it be to use plant suggestions for these other areas?

I'm sure I'll have more but that's it for now.

Comments (19)