SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

I've been busy making things

luvstocraft
14 years ago

Not much going on around here this week so I "played" and made some new blocks and painted a little garden sign. Just finished the garden sign and the paint is still wet. I'll probably do a few little touch ups on it in the morning. I always see things I didn't notice after a good nights sleep! LOL Know you all love pics so thought you might enjoy seeing these. Luvs

Comments (15)

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Your garden sign is just precious. I love it!!! What a wonderful design and colors. SUPER job!

The blocks too. Especially the Autumn side of them! My kind of colors, LOL. And the font is really neat.

Wish I had just the artistic talent in your little finger!
    I would love to be able to paint or draw.

hugs, Karen

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Oh, Man! Those blocks are really something. Are they made from 2 by 4s? 2 by 6s? After you prepare the blocks to take the lettering, about how long does it take you to decorate one side? Is that gift wrapping paper for background? Tell us more about the construction.

The Welcome sign is wonderful, truly wonderful. Could a person (one who paints, I mean) make it two sided as well? Love the striped birdhouse and the garden spade.

• Related Discussions

More pictures I've been too busy to post

Q

Comments (10)
    You really do have so many beauties. Too many for just one favorite. I don't know if it is good or bad that things have slowed down. Good that you have more time to post and hopefully not as much garden work to do. Bad that the daylily season is done!
    ...See More

I've been a busy lil' bee..lol

Q

Comments (5)
    PC, I love your pics and the arbor looks great! I know how much work that was and HOW in the world did you get the top to curve around like that? We thought about painting ours white, but decided to go with the less upkeep of the natural look. I wish and hope we could go to the plant swap but it doesn't look possible this year. We have too many family obligations right now. I hope you'll share more pics of your arbor with the red, white & blue flowers. Katie
    ...See More

I've been busy...

Q

Comments (7)
    Jenn, Your Santa and snowman are so cute. I love all of the little details you included on the Santa. I hope you get to make a Santa for yourself this year. His eyes are just glowing.
    ...See More

I've been so busy!

Q

Comments (2)
    I wonder, does it ever snow in Farmtown? I know what you are talking about but I am not on there. Busy morning here too and still not finished. I am pie baking and also getting ready to make a large sweet potato casserole. Church dinner tomorrow. I think just about all things for our remodeling came from Lowe's. You should go to eBay and bid on coupons for Lowe's if you plan on spending much. They also price match and then give a discount. I can't remember how much. Our daughter Cheryl worked at Lowe's for years. Now be sure to get all that sweat and dirt off before you go shopping :) Lots of snow still coming down here in central Indiana. 28 degrees right now. Sue
    ...See More
  • plainjane425
    14 years ago

Luvs...You HAVE been busy, making such fabulous things. You are such a multi-talented lady!!
    Love the blocks and their different designs. I too would love to know how you go about it. There seems to be so many steps to them. Do you construct the blocks yourself or are they ready made? I can see making them for all sorts of occasions..with endless ideas!
    The Autumn blocks I think are my favorite. Now where are you planning on displaying them? They will add such a nice Seasonal touch to where ever you put them.
    TFS...these were really so lovely.

jane

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

You are not only talented, but so productive! I couldn't pick one over the other, they are all so cute!
    And the sign..wonderful. Love the striped birdhouse!

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs, love the signs you made and how clever to incorporate two seasons. That's clever. I also like the double letters on the autumn side. Your painted sign is perfect for Spring. You've been busy crafting and we love to see all your creations.

Punk

• milosmom_gw
    14 years ago

Oh how very pretty.
    You certainly have been busy. Your sign is so cute and cheerful.
    Are the little letters decoupaged? I can't sit still long enough usually but projects like that would be a great way to use up all those little leftover pieces from scrapbook pages that there seem to be so many of.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning! So fun to share my projects here, you gals all make me feel so good.

Let me answer a couple of questions. These blocks are just various lengths cut from an old 2x4 board. The 2x4's work well because they stand easily and you can do a different design on the back--so two sets from one like these are. You could use any size wood really. 4x4 blocks can be decorated on all sides and flipped. (Nice with photos on each side.) You can also just decorate a length of wood instead of blocks.

I use DH's "chop saw" so it is fast and easy to cut them. Then I take the electric sander to them because they are usually pretty rough. A quick coat of acrylic paint and let it dry. Then just cut pieces of scrapbook paper and Mod Podge it to the face of the block.

Let me just add that I "could" just decorate them by painting--but using the papers is fun, easy, and faster.

I've been cutting letters with my Cricut--but you can buy sheets of letters in all sizes and colors, stencil letters on, etc.

Some of the things I added were dimensional "stickers" that I bought for the summer theme. A whole sheet of them on sale at Michael's for $1.49. I also use small silk flowers or layered ones cut from cardstock, ribbons or strips of contrasting paper, leaves cut out of cardstock, buttons, rick rack, etc. That's the fun part and a great way to use up scraps of things since it only takes small pieces.

The Mod Podge is great, goes on cloudy but dries clear and fast! Later I will try cutting some vinyl letters, but it is more pricey, so doing the paper letters is good while I'm learning. You can also use thin boards for signs to hang on the wall, and I've seen some "stacked" blocks and boards that are so cute too.

Lots of this stuff being created on some of the blogs I've found on the Cricut message boards. And Grandma Bonnie on the Crafts forum here on GW does the vinyl designs for walls and even cars! Once I invest in some vinyl, I'll be able to adhere words and designs to plates, jars, the refrigerator, etc. Really any flat clean surface! (The vinyl can be damp wiped and easily removed--the Mod Podged paper would be difficult to remove.)

It does take "time", mostly because I try this and then try that before I decide what to glue where! But it is one of the easiest crafts I've done and just so many possibilities! I've seen some words or names on the glass in a frame and would like to try that too. I've been collecting and saving ideas for things to make, Karen has sent me some good links to blogs and things that she has run across during her nighttime "surfing". (thanks Karen, love it!)

OA, the painted sign can certainly be painted on both sides. I often do that if I plan to use it where only one side can be seen. Doesn't work so well if you plan to display it on an easel on the table for instance, so keep that in mind.

Hope I've explained things well--if not, just ask--or email me if you'd like. I get so much inspiration and encouragement from all of you, would love to give some of that back as well.

Luvs

• luckygal
    14 years ago

wow, WoW, and WOW!!! This is very inspiring Luvs! You've really excelled with these signs. I've bookmarked this thread and mentally put this at the top of my crafting list.

I'm thinking I need a new "toy" if it will help me make such wonderful things! I've just started paper crafting and I can see this would be very helpful. Which Cricut do you have, Luvs, and can you recommend a good place to buy one? I had no idea there were so many different machines. Also did you attend their Demonstration or is it easy to learn on your own? Another thing being added to my shopping list!

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

luvs...the blocks are really cool! Love how you add all the embellishments to make them your very own design! Awesome! One of my DD's has a Cricut & I get wonderful cards from her! And I agree, Mod Podge is great stuff! I use it also! Your birdhouse painting is so cute! You are busy! TFS! Jeanne s.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LG, I just got the small personal machine. It uses 6x12 paper. I was lucky and got it on sale at Joanne's for $85. I've seen them run lots more than that, so it pays to watch for sales. If I keep coming up with more projects, I'm probably going to wish I had bought the big Expression machine that uses 12x24 paper. Those are allot more expensive though and I wasn't sure I'd use it enough to justify the extra cost. You get one cartridge with your machine then can buy additional cartridges for more fonts and designs. I'm watching for good sale prices on those also.

Jeanne, you might want to visit you DD and "play" with her machine a bit! Just take along some wood blocks and have her help you cut out some letters and things. If she makes cards, I'll bet she already has lots of scrap papers to use up. ;o) I've only made a couple of cards so far. Funny story about getting what you pay for--I found a cute set of little stamps at Dollar Tree. Went to use the one that says Happy Birthday for my son's card. Carefully inked it and lined it up, pressed firmly then lifted--and the design was upside down! The rubber stamp portion was the opposite of the printed design on top of the handle of the stamp! Great, right? I "fixed" it by cutting out a piece of card stock and gluing it over the messed up part, then restamping the greeting again taking into account the fact that the stamp was upside down!

The main thing is to find something you think is fun and allows you to be a bit creative. Creativity is good for the soul and a great way to relieve stress and think through any problems you may have too. I find that if I go too long without painting or making something--I get grumpy! DH really encourages me to do my crafts! LOL

Luvs

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Thanks Luvs on the very detailed explanation.
    I enjoyed reading all the different steps to accomplish the end results. I can see that you are having so much fun with your 'new toy'.. I hope you continue to show us whenever you create something new..I love looking.
    I remember you telling me how you used a Band Saw.. and I told you that My DH said it was off limits because of the danger...Now, I read you use the Chop Saw too!! Mercy!...that's a scary piece of equip! LOL

jane

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Luvs, instead of waiting for good sale prices, wouldn't the 40% off coupon at Michaels (which Joann's also take by the way)make this stuff more affordable? I haven't priced any of it, tho did sit and watch one of those darn Infomercials on the Expressions Cricut just to see what it was you were playing with. LOL.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

PM...40% coupon excludes the Cricut...I tried buying the accessory pcs. for gifts for my daughters..couldn't use coupon at either JoA's or HL! UGH! Jeanne S.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jeanne's right, the Cricut is excluded from the coupons. I just got a new cartridge on sale at Michael's normally $69 for $29 and the $89 were $39. Even Big Lots gets a few in once in awhile and they sell for $30. Lots of online sites too--but usually have to pay shipping. My DIL has had her machine for a couple years and she brought over some of her cartridges for me to play with, so I've got lots to play with now.

Luvs

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Your signs are great!! I love the welcome sign!
    You've been a busy girl!!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County
More Discussions