SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srburk

Two insects and possible disease problem

srburk
15 years ago

My lantana won't bloom and the leaves look icky. The blooms blacken and fall off as buds. The leaves look kind of polka-dotty, and something is eating windows (not holes) into the leaves. The bug resembles a lace bug, I think.

My rudbeckia is huge and spreading but the lower leaves are turning black...I think because it stays damp and dark under the massive plant. It also has a HUGE population of mealybugs....I can't possibly squish them all. I keep finding caterpillars everywhere...all different kinds..on things I wouldn't have expected to find them on.

The blue jay is appreciating that so far I'm just putting them down on top of the bbq pit as a bird snack..........

Anyway....help? Does the lantana have a fungus or is the damage likely to be those stupid little bugs? And how do I get rid of them? How do I do in the mealybugs?

I have small children so I don't use chemicals unless I have absolutely no other choice, so I'd try organic methods first. Why do there have to be so many varieties of fungus and so many bugs down here?

Comments (2)