SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearsatx

I just wanna cry

pricklypearsatx
15 years ago

I've been having all sorts of problems with my palms. They are expensive palms and two have died. One of the dead is a rare native palm from the Brazoria River area.

Thought it was herbide injury. Then, thought it was overwatering.

Then, thought it was a nasty fungus and bought several very expensive fungicides.

I also have to send samples to A&M plant pathology lab. Which costs money. But I have to get the right type of sample. And what if I have multiple pathogens on different plant? Like what if one plant has this and another has that? (It's $30 for one sample, so 3 samples are $90)

I took one sample to our local county agent, but he wasn't in last week.

Went back this week with new samples and he was out of town again. (Preserving these samples is a hassle)

I've investigated all of the causal issues with these and can find no rhyme or reason. Like some of the palms that are well established and have not recieved any supplemental irrigation are rotting.

The dying palms are also not in the same area of the yard either.

So, this made me think that it was a rare airborne extremely virulant fungus, so I called the University of Florida because they are the nation's palm pathology research center.

Florida told me that it sounded like bugs.

So, I went out to look for bugs. I found holes in the ground next to the dead plants. These holes are too big for bugs. They are tunnels.

Whether it's bugs or animals, their chewing causes wounds, which then allows the rot.

And the rot is still caused by a pathogen. So, the pathogen can still spread without the aid of these animals.

So the rot still needs to be diagnosed to see what specific pathogen(s) it is.

Now I've gotta figure out what animals these are and what to do about them.

So, now I need to call the exterminator. Good grief.

So far, two palms have died. One is gonna die. And two more look not very good.

Good grief!!

This just goes on and on. All of this has happened within the last two weeks. Like a cancer is attacking them or something.

I'm just worn out with this.

Thanks for listening to my vent. This is crazy.

Comments (7)