SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollybrowno

I am so freaking bummed out!!

Molly Brown
15 years ago

OK, OK, I live in a 190 year old house and nothing is level, everything is crooked.

Doing a bathroom remodel....carpenter said he would level the floor, which we needed to do for the tub and the vanity.

Previous tub and vanity were shimmed up and the discrepancy covered up by cove molding 30 years ago. 30 years ago I was oblivious to decorating and any solution on a very limited budget was ok with me. (I even picked out my bathroom faucet from 2 faucets the plummer had rattling around in his truck)

Anyway, our bathroom (9X8) connects to the next room by a 'doorway'

with no door in it, and that room is a dressing room that is carpeted.

Well, the difference between the two rooms after the leveling and after a heating mat and after porcelain tile is 3 1/2 INCHES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we raise the dressing room floor to match, the 3 1/2" discrepency will happen between the dressing room and the hallway!

The dressing room has a clothing closet with bifold doors, a linen closet with a regular door and the door to the room itself from the hall.

The carpenter wants to put a steep ramp between the two rooms. It can't be gradual as a closet door has to open nearby and a ramp would get in the way.

I don't want a 'step' there, as in the last 2 weeks I've already tripped or stubbed my toe multiple times. I would be petrified of falling.

I see no solution other than the stupid ramp, which would be oak.

I just wanna cry.....

The bathroom floor is now perfectly level and the porcelain looks great, but..............................................:-(

Comments (5)