SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

whitefly??? Powdery mildew??? Why is nothing working??

I posted the following comment in another forum but don't seem to be getting much feedback.

Hopefully somebody may be able to help in some of the "other" forums----

1st time posting, long time reader. Hopefully somebody can help. everything seemed to be

going fine this year for my small plot of summer vegetables. 4 better boy tomatoes, 6

cucumber plants, a couple of yellow squash and a couple zucchini. Been able to harvest

plenty out of each plant for the last couple months, and all plants looked relatively

healthy. maybe a bit of powdery mildew on the squash, but I just prune the affected leaves

and control it.

Then! within the last 3 weeks the cucumbers have needed massive pruning and my tomato plants

have just started yellowing and almost dying from the bottom up. Now I know it's normal for

"some" yellowing, but I'm losing good foliage at just too fast a rate to hope to sustain my

tomatoes into November(it stays warm here til then). The cucumbers have developed foliage

loss also due to me having to try to control the powdery mildew also. While the squash

varieties tend to be hanging on(although they seem to be the 1st plants to suffer each year.

I've tried, lady bugs,70% neem oil, baking soda and canola oil, and compost tea to try to

control(minimize) the damage, but I'm about to give up. Everything was going so well, and

then Bam! The only pests I see fly away when I shake the tomato plants are whitefly,

although I believe aphids may be present also. I've read that these pests are vectors for

fungi and virii. The neem oil is supposed to take care of them though. Says right on the

bottle ---fungicide, miticide, controls whiteflies and aphids.

My question is? What works??? They say that prevention is the best method. I agree... But,

THE PLANTS WERE DOING RELATIVELY BEAUTIFULLY WITHOUT ANY PESTICIDES UP UNTIL A COUPLE WEEKS

AGO!!!

Sorry to yell---this is just driving me nuts though. :(

Any suggestions on brands of better fungicides, pesticides, etc would be appreciated. By the

way, we can only water at night here because we are in a drought.

Also, I'm only guessing about the powdery mildew affecting the tomatoes. it's just seems

logical since they're right next to everything else. it could very well be TSWV. I wish I

was better at diagnoses but I'm just a novice gardener.

Here are some pics for possible diagnosis. Thanks in advance for any possible solutions.

affected squash 1

{{gwi:108521}}

affected squash 2

{{gwi:108522}}

affected tomato 1

{{gwi:108523}}

affected tomato 2

{{gwi:108524}}

affected tomato 3

{{gwi:108525}}

affected green bean 1

{{gwi:108526}}