SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjax_gw

Slugs or bugs? Cukes and Zukes almost dead

cjax
11 years ago

The garden in my yard has grown well, but after my corn sprouted I started to get these chewed up lines in it. Not such a big deal until my very healthy looking cucumber and zucchini started getting chewed up like crazy. I think the cucumbers are almost dead as the leaves are pretty much gone. I got ladybugs thinking it might be some kind of aphid. When watering I saw tiny, really tiny, white bugs crawling out of the soil along the wall of the garden (walled by leftover concrete block). Ladybugs all left and I still have my leaves getting eaten up. I added earthworms just for fun, and I'm not sure if the black/brown balls are worm poop or from my pests. What looks like spider webs seemed to show up long after the leaves were destroyed.

In the linked photo is the corn on the upper left and either cuke or zuke in the middle. I forgot which is which. Small holes in the middle of strawberry leaves too. Most other things are unaffected (kale, basil, eggplant, bell pepper) and the watermelon seems to be unaffected.

Neighbor suggested slugs early on. Still the diagnosis? What can I put to kill them without affecting the quality of my food?

Ask for any additional photos.

Comments (4)