SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gesila_gw

Slugs and Shrews - Mystery Solved

Gesila
12 years ago

A few weeks back, I posted a thread and wondered why one area of my garden had slugs, but none of my hostas had slug damage. Well, the mystery is solved. I have seen a shrew scurrying through that section of the garden for a few days now. This all totally makes sense now, since the slugs I found in that part of the garden were very small and the garden is very dense. I don't know why he skips past the section of the garden where there is a heavy infestation of slugs.

I also realized that the area where slug infestation is the heaviest is an area that has two raised beds with bark nuggests (thank you Ken, one of your posts helped me with this). I've been getting rid of these nuggets and have found almost a hundred slugs in them. Yuck, big fat ones. Slug bait has done nothing to reduce them.

Now, back to the Shrew. This morning, I found him dead. I wonder if the snail bait the slugs ate in turn killed the shrew?

I know nothing about shrews and didn't find any posts in this forum. I remember my lawn service telling me that he thought we had some when we had our annual walk through of the yards this spring. Also, I know my neighbor's cat seems to kill the shrews she finds while tied up.

While these things seem to be controlling my slug population, am I headed for other problems?

Thanks,

Gesila

Comments (2)