SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
memphistigerlily

Help!!!! Slugs infesting my flowerbed

memphistigerlily
16 years ago

My front flowerbed is infested with slugs! I noticed my annuals that I planted in my flowerbed werent fairing so well. At first I thought it might have been that cold front that snook up on us for those 2 nights. I had just planted them that Wendsday, a couple days before the swap. I know probably still a bit early but I was so excited for spring. But rookie mistake on my end. Well during those couple of cold days I covered them up and they seemed to do just fine for a week after that but then I noticed my Gerber Daisies not looking so good about a week afterwards. I though maybe the cold had effected them and maybe it was just now showing signs. Since it wasnÂt all the way dead looking I was hoping a little sunshine and rain would nurse it back

Then it rained real hard a few days last week and Friday I noticed this weekend my geranium looking kind of shabby, that kind of annoyed me but I though the rain could have just bet them down. Since it rained basically all weekend I didnÂt really spend any time in the front yard.

Well I go out there this morning and I noticed them looking horrible! IÂm kicking myself because I know its my fault for not doing anything about it earlier but I have never had a problem with slugs at all so I didnÂt even thing that could have been the cause. My flowerbed is clean; I cleaned it out early march and put fresh dirt and mulch in. The kids a street over were doing a church project were they were mulching neighbors flower beds, as a "do good for your community" so I let them put more mulch on to. I bet that is were them slugs came from. Because my mulch was dry when I put it down, theirs was wet and all horse poopy. Anywho itÂs not their fault if that is the case butÂ

What do I do, how do I get rid of them. They have probably killed all my annuals; I had a couple of orangish-red Gerber daisies, yellow geranium and then a couple of red Delilah. (To match my yellow and orange lilies that are coming up, and my newbies to my bed, a new orange day lily and yellow and white iris that I planted to, that I got from the plant swap)

Thanks goodness my lilies haven't bloomed yet because I would be livid if those were messed up. I mean don't get me wrong I am pissed that the $40 worth of annuals I planted are probably going to die but my lilies are my babies and they come back so nicely every year. They are getting really bushy so they might be blooming soon so I need to get rid of the slugs. I didn't have time to mess with them this morning as I was on my way out the door for work (and running late as usual on a Monday) so I am just going crazy sitting here thinking of them sitting their chomping away. I wish I would have had time to remove the ones I saw. I almost thought about doing it but didn't think my boss would understand me calling in late with a flower emergency :o)

Any one have any "organic" remedies they could share. I read somewhere they suggested putting Epson salt down around the flowers. Said it would kill the slugs and make the blooms more colorful at the same time. Then I read to put beer out to attract them to the beer instead of flowers. Anyone ever try either of these or another method that worked for him or her. I feel really bad killing them, but I donÂt want them to destroy my flowerbed. Plus I definitely donÂt want them to get to my veggies in the backyard.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022