SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Of Petunias and White Flies

narcnh
17 years ago

With the threat of our first frost tonight (although I come in to find that they are now calling for 30 with dense fog, so I might dodge another bullet), I went out and prepped my potted plants for the trek inside. Citrus trees came in a week ago, but these are mostly herbs, which I keep in south-facing windows all winter. This year they shared space on the new deck with some new tree roses and a hardy tree hibiscus, which are all in large pots planted with Supertunia petunias and verbena as understory flowers. The Supertunias did beautifully this year, probably thanks to all the rain we had, eventually crowding out most of the verbena. They are now giving off what are probably their final blooms.

Well, as I was moving around among the pots I noticed that, if I disturbed the petunias, I stirred up large numbers of white flies. They were everywhere and had also settled on most of my herbs. Not too much of a problem for the herbs, since I cut all of them down almost to the dirt before bringing them in, so the new growth will be acclimated to the indoors. I also spray everything with Neem oil to knock down pests. But, it was amazing to me how many white flies there were. In the past, IÂve put petunias in hanging baskets, which I didnÂt take down until after they were very dead, so I never noticed if they were on those plants. But, I have had white fly problems in the past on my herbs, when I brought them in and before I learned to cut them back and spray.

So, my question is, has anybody else ever noticed that petunias in pots are a haven for white flies? Is there any way to control them, short of really serious spraying? I canÂt imagine not growing them, since they provide so much color for such a long time, but I am going to ponder my options this winter.

By the way, if you ever do a google search for the plant vebena (just ÂverbenaÂ), do not click on the link near the top that says ÂVerbena Homepage (www.verbenahealth.org). It is NOT what you think. Sure caught me by surprise.

narcnh

Comments (5)