SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Shovel Pruning my Forsythia

pixie_lou
12 years ago

I think I want to get rid of my forsythia bush. It came with the house. I have spent the past 3 summers doing some gentle pruning to try to get a decent shape. But I have now come to the realization that the bush looks gorgeous in April, but looks like crap the other 11 months of the year. As much as I like forsythia, a lone bush in my front yard is not how I like forsythia.

So my first question - once I chop this bush down to the ground - what is the best way to prevent it from growing back? I have tulips and daffodils, day lillies and hardy chrysanthemum growing underneath the bush. So I can't use any stump killer. I'm also concerned about the spring bulbs if I try to lasagna garden over it.

But this brings up my next dilemna. As you can see in the photos, I made this circle garden. It is on the front corner of my property and the garden was kinda designed around making a "home" for this forsythia bush (and my sewer vent pipe). If I chop out the bush - I think the garden will look a bit odd. I just made the garden last year - hence the lack of mature plants there.

The previous owner lined the whole property with pine trees - which kind of create a living fence with the neighbors property. In front of the first pine towards the road, I have planted a couple rhododendron bushes. They are still a bit small, but will be larger in a few years and will provide a bit of additional privacy as cars come down the road and go around the corner to get a view of our house. The only reason I had kept the forsythia in the first place was for this additional bit of privacy.

So what do I do in place of this forsythia? I don't think I want another bush. But I need something to be the "focal point" of this garden. Since this is in my front yard, I'm not sure if I want to do any funky garden art. I'm thinking of maybe a bird bath? And maybe a shepherds hook with a couple bird feeders?

We don't really have a view of this space from inside the house - it is really to be viewed from the street.

Ideas?

Comments (6)