SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reg_pnw7

Birds don't like new feeder ...

reg_pnw7
17 years ago

I had to replace my old wooden bird feeder this spring. I didn't like the squirrels so much getting into it, but what was really the last straw was when I realized that neighborhood RATS were getting into the feeder. So I got a fancy space agey lucite conical hanging bird feeder, I believe it's called Sky Cafe, and hung it farther from the deck and from a very high branch. Just a few feet from the old feeder's location. Two months later, I just took it down because the seed was untouched. No rats or squirrels, but no birds either. After about a month of untouched seed I hung the old wooden tray from the bottom of the new feeder, and birds came to that. Then I hung the suet feeder from the top of its chain, and the birds came to that. But not one bird would touch the new feeder. I watched them actively avoid it while approaching the suet feeder.

Now the old wooden feeder is back up, where I had the new one hung, and the birds are coming to it. Is this common, do birds not like plastic feeders? or do they object to the Jetsons aesthetic, or what? Any experiences here?

Comments (5)