SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judyannz7

A real treat coming up! Mark your calendars!

judyannz7
18 years ago

For any of you that are growing daylilies, have an interest in growing daylilies, want to meet other growers of daylilies, or simply would like to enjoy an evening out with other gardeners, the Central Oklahoma Hemerocallis Society has made arrangements to bring Steve Moldovan from Avon, Ohio, the evening of March 17, to speak about his hybridizing and show slides from his gardens. Here's the announcement that will be in our Newsletter this week:

"He just doesn't do bad daylilies!" -- Dave Talbott

Steve Moldovan, of Avon, Ohio, is one of the AHS' very good, long-standing hybridizers, introducing exquisite daylilies since 1959. Steve did his undergraduate and graduate studies at Ohio State University in of all majors, horticulture. He taught horticulture in the Cleveland area schools for eleven years until he took a position as Landscape Supervisor in an area municipality. In 1987, Steve was awarded the Engerlyth Award for Hybridizing Excellence. In 1979 he won the Robert Miller Memorial Award for best near white. In 1980 he won the Richard C . Peck Memorial Award for best tetraploid. In 1982 he won the James E . Marsh Award for best purple/lavender. In 1992, he won the Bertrand Farr Silver Medal, awarded for outstanding results in the field of hybridizing. Steve's introductions are well known for deep, saturated color, vigor, and excellent plant habits.

For many years Steve's treasured cultivars have been showing shades of purple, lavender, and violet blue that have held the promise that one day we would have a blue daylily. 1984 saw his introduction of STRUTTER'S BALL, which still delights the daylily community. Only a few seasons ago, Steve caused the daylily world to catch its breath when the sky-blue-eyed PIECE OF SKY, bloomed in his garden. After seven years of waiting, the enchanting pod parent, VERTICAL HORIZON, described with "widely branched picture-book scapes", not uncommon with Steve's daylilies, is finally introduced this year.

Please join us to see his photos and to hear Steve C. Moldovan speak to the COHS members and guests on March 17, following a catered dinner at 6:30 p.m. Please make your reservations by .........

I suppose for that, you will need to contact me, rather than my posting a name and phone number on the internet! I don't know the cost of dinner yet, but it is always reasonable. Hey, it's Friday night in the Big Town!

Yes, we are expecting folks from the Tulsa area, Wichita area, Dallas area, and we are even hoping for folks from Amarillo to come to the program.

Where? It will be held at the Will Rogers Garden Center Building, SW corner of NW 36th at I-44, or East of Portland about a half mile.

Ya'll Come!

And yes, thank goodness it is raining!

Comments (2)