SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Cooking odors/off topic

gardengalrn
16 years ago

I was happily reading Zabby's chestnut post and got to thinking about the smells I enjoy in the house ;) I think a lot of people enjoy the spices and baking type smells in the house but I was wondering if I were strange to enjoy the smell of regular food cooking? I think there may be several trains of thoughts on this. Maybe people like the smell of a good pot roast but wouldn't want it to linger?

Hubby made a delicious supper of fried eggs, pancakes and bacon. I had been out to feed the cats several hours later and when I came back in....MMMMMmmm!! A delicious, warm, homey smell. Don't get me wrong, I don't care for a greasy/fried smell but he had cooked the bacon to perfection and it was just right. It lingered but to my senses, not in a bad way. The same thing holds true of walking into my porch area when I am storing onions. I actually LIKE that smell. They aren't cut and reeking but that clean earthy onion smell.

I wonder if all this is a reflection of the way you grew up; my grandmother's house was very well utilized and when there wasn't something cooking, boiling, or churning, there were boxes, buckets, and crates of things ready for the same fate. Yet it was the warmest, coziest house I have ever been in. Good memories;) Of course I want my house to smell clean and good but I love the smell of good food being cooked or preserved. Thoughts? Lori

Comments (9)