SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stpete_mango

Buying mango trees: 3 gal or 7 gal pots?

stpete_mango
11 years ago

I'm looking to buy some mango trees in late Feb. - Early March. The varieties I'm looking at are Rosigold (early season), Mallika, Nam Doc Mai and Pickering (mid-season) and a Graham for late season.
I may have to settle for 4 out of those 5 for space constraints. Have to get rid of some bougainvilleas first, I'm tired of bleeding every time I prune them. (Got them some years ago from Home Depot; they were marked as "dwarf" varieties - and are about 15 feet tall now!)
I can let 2, possibly 3 of the mango trees get to about 15 feet tall and wide. Two will have to stay at 7 - 10 feet.
From what I have read on this and other forums, Pine Island Nursery appears a good place to buy, and they offer 3 gallon, 7 gallon and larger pots. If my wife and I drive down, we can get the 7 gal pots for less than the cost of having the 3 gal pots shipped to us.
We could, of course, go to Jene's Tropicals in St. Petersburg, where we live. They have a good reputation too, and carry some of the ones we are looking for. And they could order the rest in for us.
Does it make sense to drive down to Pine Island for the bigger trees? (Could shave a year or so off the fruiting time!) Or is the stress on the bigger trees greater than on the smaller, 3 gal ones?
We live at the southern end of Pinellas, and I think the zone is 9B. It can get chilly some nights, but in the 8 years we have lived in this house no plant has died from the cold - though some years ago several hibiscuses dropped some leaves after a couple of very cold nights.
Any tips/suggestions would be welcome.

Comments (37)