SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psittacine

Questions About Preserving & Using Apples

14 years ago

In past years, I made fresh cobblers/pies, apple pie jam and then dehydrated the remaining apples that we couldn't manage to eat fresh from the Fuji tree. This year after thinning a minimum 75% of the dime-sized apples off the tree, I ended up with a huge amount of apples!

So far I've bottled up many firsts for me: applesauce, Craisin Studded Apples, cherried applesauce and apple plum jam. Who'da thunk home canned applesauce would taste so much better than store bought!

I don't have allot of freezer space left but can cram in enough apples for a couple of pies/cobblers. Was considering bottling up plain apple slices in just extra light syrup, since I'm diabetic and 'count carbs'. Putting slices in plain water seems like it would dilute the apple flavor? I could use unsweetened apple juice, since I'd be adding carbs w/the sugar syrup anyway. How well does texture keep when not using sugar? Can a decent pie/cobbler be made from bottled apple slices?

Really, I just don't know what I'm going to do with so many apples. Would anyone care to share favorite recipes - either for canned, canning or fresh use of apples? Would truly appreciate suggestions.

Comments (7)