SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

made apple pie, question about storing homemade whipped cream?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

I made an apple pie today... I was inspired by Julia Child. I haven't made an apple pie in years and last night was the first time I've ever watched Julia Child (what a silly voice, but I love her)... she had a guest on her show that showed how to make an apple pie.

Mine's a little "rustic"... but so what if it tain't perfect... I made the crust myself. I used the food processor, and I don't think I'll ever make crust any other way! It worked great!

Anyway, my question is... how do you store homemade whipped cream? I wanted to buy ice cream or cool whip, because I know they last longer and are easier to store, but I figured if it's a true "from scratch" pie I'd better use something I made myself. (NO cheddar cheese, thank you Paula Deen). So, I bought some whipping cream and whipped it up (special thanks to the cashier at Winn-Dixie telling me "You do know that isn't milk, right?!" Yes, thanks!)... I added some powdered sugar to it (do you use powdered or granulated in your whipped cream?) and put it in a lidded tupperware. Is there a better way to store it (does it freeze)? How long should I expect it to last? If it separates, can I re-whip it and use it still?

I do have a whipped cream "maker", though I've never used it for whipped cream (what a waste of cartridges that would be LOL) (I'm out of them anyway).

It was an interesting day for me with regard to food/kitchen... I started the day by melting my probing meat thermometer (hint: don't stick the magnetic body to the place where the oven vents!). I topped it off by sitting on my bowl of egg drop soup (what a MESS!)... OH well, the apple pie was a much better dinner than the soup anyway.

As always, thanks for any advice :o)

Comments (13)