SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Home-made ice cream - worth it?

bejay9_10
16 years ago

I've been making home made ice cream for about 6 months now. Mainly, because anything I can do at home for less cost - is the real goal - especially because gasoline is so expensive, I try to plan everything around not having to drive - even to shopping only once a month for the staples we use.

Anyway - was wondering if the ice cream making is practical. Yesterday, I purchased half and half - 3 quarts for $1.79 a quart. A total of $5.37 in all. (a thrift outlet type store).

Adding 3 eggs and 2 cups sugar and some vanilla - the total output was 14 half-pints in all. So I figured the cost of a half pint of finished ice cream came to about .40 to 45 cents.

The finished ice cream is not quite as rich as if I had used some whipping cream, but still the all half and half is more pleasing to my taste.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a worthwhile item to be making at home. I know Thrifty Drug sells a good ice cream at reasonable price. But wonder if there are other ice cream makers out there who have any ideas here.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Comments (29)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio