SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msfuzz

Raw pack hamburger

msfuzz
13 years ago

Hey again, all. I'm thinking about canning some hamburger (we've got about 150 lbs of it in the freezer & I'd like some more room). I watched an interesting video someone posted on another site that piqued my interest. I'll attach it here and see what you guys think.

I tried searching the forums, the NCwhateverallthelettersare website, and looking through my BBB, and while I see plenty about being able to raw pack strips or cubes of meat, everything for ground beef is hot pack only. Is there some kind of safety reasoning for this (I'm wondering if it's the fat content?), or is it just that no one can imagine why you would want to do it that way?

It just seems a ton easier to raw pack a pound of hamburger into a pint jar and PC than go through the pain in the butt of prebrowning.

On a slightly different note, a couple of the posts on here complained about how mooshy canned burger is, and I was wondering if that can be somewhat helped by a brief browning after you open the jar? I'd mostly be using canned burger for casserole type stuff anyway, so am not much worried about it. Just curious!

Thanks in advance. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning hamburger

Comments (2)