SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Canning senility (jardinaire screw up advice)

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

Something about me and canning this year, I can't seem to get my act together. I was so proud of myself for FINALLY getting a batch of jardinaire done, and now I think there is something off about it. First of all, I am going to whine because it took me over and hour and 15 min. to bring the canner to a boil on my electric stove. I was up til 1 PM Sunday night with these pickles and I started them at about 9 PM. I had everything ready except I kept waiting and waiting for the water to boil. I have got to get some other type of pot for BWB quart jars, since I don't make big batches of quart stuff. I only made 3 quarts of jardinaire, and that's an awful lot of fuel used for such a small amount of product. What are my options?

Second, I think I messed up the brine. I doubled the recipe, which was 1 3/4 cup white vinegar and 1 cup water. For the first batch of brine I did 3 1/2 cup vinegar and 2 cups water, which is correct. Then I needed about a pint more brine so I made a batch with 2 1/2 cups vinegar and 2 cups water. Is that too weak? It was only half of one of the quarts filled with that brine. I have seen 1:1 vinegar to water pickling brine ratios on some recipes. I have the jardinaire jars in the fridge now.

The recipe is just mixed veggies, a basil sprig, salt and brine. I used asparagus, small onions, red peppers, yellow cauliflower and yellow squash. They are at least pretty, and would make nice gifts but I'm not giving them away if they are iffy.

Lastly, in one jar, the veggies must have settled somehow, because they are sticking up about 1/4 inch above the brine. They did not look like that when I filled the jar. Is that OK?

I use these pickles to make pasta salad in the winter.

Comments (12)