SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

I may have screwed up my engine - need advice!

viche
17 years ago

So I was preparing my new 6.75HP, four-stroke, Toro self-propelled mower for winter storage and I followed the manual to the T. It suggested that I remove the spark plug and pour 2 ounces of "lubricating oil" into the cylinder to prevent rust over the winter. But I over-thought the situation. I figured lubricating oil must be something different than normal engine oil. So I went to the hardware store and bought some Norvey Inc. Turbine Lubricating Oil.... "WonÂt gum", most popular "lubricating" oil since dinosaurs roamed the earth. After I poured the stuff into the spark plug hole, I read the bottle and realized it was paraffin-wax based.

ÂHave I ruined my engineÂ, I wondered. This oil supposedly wonÂt burn like normal oil, so what will happen when I try to start it?. I called Norvey Inc. and the owner told me that no one had ever called who had poured the stuff directly into a engine cylinder. Uh-oh. He thought it through for a while, and then recommended that I wait until a warm day in Spring and let it drain tipped upside down for 6 or more hours. Then just start her up and things should theoretically be ok.

IÂm just worried about the paraffin oil mixing with the gasoline and regular petroleum oil and producing a gummy mess. So what do you think? Time to buy a new mower?

Comments (9)