SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synchronicity1111

Screwed Up And Ordered The Wrong Soil For My Potted Roses-Any Advice?

Sorry So Long....

I am not an expert gardener, but have been growing roses for the past 3 years. I have grown a mixture of roses in the ground and roses in pots before which almost all did well and are healthy. I just ordered 5 bare root roses from Jackson & Perkins and am waiting for them to arrive. I want to put them in 15 gallon pots because I have no more room to plant roses in the ground. I absolutely hate the potting soils sold in big box stores because most of it is absolute garbage, especially Miracle Grow, Kelloggs and other brands being sold in big box stores. Where I live, none of the nurseries had any higher quality brand soils in stock and most said they didn't know when they were getting in their new shipments. Since my bare root roses are coming in a few days, I had to be prepared to plant them asap.

I went on Amazon.com, but most of the better soils such as Black Gold and Dr. Earths were being sold by third party sellers for as much as $43 a bag and other websites selling garden supplies had great prices, but shipping was through the roof!! I went on the Ace Hardware Website and found Dr. Earth's soil for a decent price with some of them having free ship to store. The one particular potting mix formula soil I wanted, could not be shipped to store in my area and shipping to my home would have been over $80!

I saw one Dr. Earths soil formulation specifically for roses labeled by Ace Hardware as "Dr. Earth Total Advantage Organic Potting Mix 1.5 cf" and put 5 bags in my cart and ordered it for Free Ship To Store. After I ordered it, I noticed the picture on the bag did not say "Potting Mix" on it. It says "Planting Mix". Darn it! So apparently, Ace Hardware had some kind of typo calling it "Potting Mix". Since 5 bare root roses are coming any moment, I ordered 5 bags, one for each pot. The problem is it is already on it's way to the store and I cannot cancel the order. Can I actually use it for my pots? I found the info on the back of this particular soil's bag on another website and there is a picture of a pot/planter and it said "One bag fills (3) 5 Gallon Pots", but the rest of the directions shows planting bare root roses in the ground and trees and shrubs in the ground.

I have loads of holes drilled in the pots that I am going to use, but am afraid there will not be enough air circulation now and the roots may get too compacted and wet in this heavier type of soil. My question is, can I actually use this stuff and if so, what can I add to amend it to make it optimal for potted bare root roses to grow? Can I add Perlite, peat moss, vermiculite or some other type of soil amendment to help make this soil okay to use in my pots?

I can't spend too much more money because I already spent over $75 not including tax on this soil so I have to use whatever soil amendments I already have on hand which is: Peat Moss, old worn out potting soil from annual plants and veggies that died over the winter in some pots laying around my yard, Perlite, Vermiculite, Worm Castings, Tank's Fertilizer, Bone Meal, Blood Meal, Plant Tone and Alfalfa Meal. If yes, what should I use to mix into this garden mix soil and how much of it for each 15 gallon pot so the roots can breath and the plant's roots do not get water logged? Will this type of soil straight from the bag harm my bare root potted roses? All I wanted to do was avoid crappy Miracle Gro type soil and now I probably caused myself more headaches than if I would have just relented and bought that crappy big box soil in the first place, lol.

Any advice will be quite welcome. Sadly I must use this particular soil because I already paid for it and cannot get a refund. There are no other Dr Earths or Black Gold Soil at any Ace Hardware near me for over 80 miles that has this better branded soil in stock and neither does any other local nursery. Hopefully I am panicking over nothing, but my roses are my babies and I am one of those over worrying types of people. Anxiety should be my middle name, lol.

By the way, this is the soil I purchased (See how there is "Potting" Mix in the title):

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/gardening/flower-and-plant-fertilizer/7398290

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert