SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lb8230

Need heavy duty LB D series engine advice to save my '72 LB!!!

lb8230
17 years ago

OK, I need the heavy hitters from the Lawn Boy contingent to help me determine if my '72 8230 (D640 engine) can be saved. Unfortunatelty, I am not terribly knowledgable or a big do it 'yerselfer when it comes to engines.

History: Lower crank seal cut loose in 2001, as demonstrated by loose screws swirling around where the crank comes out of the muffler, and no start due to no compression. Was fixed at the shop. No further issues, until:

Mid summer 2006- I noticed another screw swirling around, as in 2001. Machine kept running though. At some point, either then or shortly thereafter, I noticed a marked increase in engine vibration- to the point that the gas tank cover screws (never very tight for many years) kept coming out. Symptoms stable up to this point.

I took it back to the shop. Their findings seemed, in my view, to be a bit clouded by a reluctance to spend time on this 34 year old machine. Their summary (at first) was 'it's shot- not worth fixing'. When pressed for details, the mechanic begrudgingly detailed the following:

'The cast part for the crank is warped and you can't keep a seal- you've got an air leak- you need a short block'.

1st question: I don't think they took the machine apart- is it possible to come to this conclusion w/o disassemby?

Here is the link to the LB engine blowup:

https://lookup2.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=lawnboy

2nd question: Any thoughts as to if the above diagnosis is correct?

3rd question: If the above is correct, are we talking about part 36 (crank case)? By default, I assume the crank would need to be replaced too? What else should be replaced?

If I am going in the right direction, are these parts available any more?

If I should retire the mower for parts, I am prepared to accept this outcome too. While it was from my Dad, and is one of the last remaining tangible links to him, all things cannot last forever.

I am in northern NJ (Morris/Passiac county area), if anyone can recommend a cracker jack shop, if all is not lost.

Thanks in advance guys!

Here is a link that might be useful: D640 engine parts blow up, parts list

Comments (8)